Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Any Reason Not to Swap out for a 4 Barrel?

Any Reason Not to Swap out for a 4 Barrel? 9 years 4 months ago #103194

I ended up with an intake manifold and a nice rebuildable quadra-jet that is a bolt on swap to my 305 Chevy.

Any reason not to trade it out for the 2 barrel that's on there now?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Any Reason Not to Swap out for a 4 Barrel? 9 years 4 months ago #103196

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
As long as your motor is in good shape, I would definitely do it! (Have you got a spark arrestor to fit the q-jet?)

Mark

Re:Any Reason Not to Swap out for a 4 Barrel? 9 years 4 months ago #103201

Wavetrain 75,

You didn't mention if the carb came off of a car or another boat. If it came from a boat it should be a nice improvement.
If it's an automotive carb you may want to consider changing to a marinized carb.
The usual problem with using an automotive carb in a boat is the possibilty of a stuck float. The fuel then pours out of the bowl vent and into the bilge.
Marine carbs have a method of controling vent discharged fuel, usually tubes that run from the vents back into the intake of the carb facing downwards.
That is a saftey issue, and the most important difference. It could also be a problem in a Coast Guard inspection, or affect your insurance if you should ever have a fire.
Some other issues, depending on who made the carb, is torque characteristics, float bounce suppression, and stainless steel components. These are operating problems and can usually be dealt with or accepted.
There are a number of Quadrjet marine carbs on ebay right now, or switching to a marinized Edelebrock or Holley is a possibility.

Don

Re:Any Reason Not to Swap out for a 4 Barrel? 9 years 4 months ago #103207

Yeah I was in a hurry last night and left out a number of details.

It is a Rochester automotive 4 barrel, nothing fancy but the price was right. Came with the matching dual plane intake.

Sounds like it needs more than just a rebuild with a marine kit, I'll check around and see what I can find.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7945 guests and 2 members online