Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mercuiser stern drive 80

Mercuiser stern drive 80 9 years 7 months ago #100080

Hi,

I have a1967 Bertram 20' Bahia Mar since earlier this year, in good condition. The engine is a 6 cylinder in line of 120 hp. According to the serial number the stern drive is the original one and called Mercruiser 80. The stern drive is fitted with a hook system to prevent the stern drive to lift when reversing.
Recently I found out that I had some pinion problems in the lower part of the stern drive and damaged.
Since a few weeks I am looking for a replacement part of the stern drive and during a travel in West Africa ( I am still there ) I found a quite nice Mercruiser 120/140 stern drive which looks similar to mine. The pinion system for forward and reverse anyway seems to be almost the same . I have cleaned and painted it. It comes complete with the trim hydraulic motors and hydraulic cylinders.
Did somebody here already try to adapt parts of these two units ?
Thanks in advance.
Michel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Mercuiser stern drive 80 8 years 11 months ago #109876

Unless you get the transom plate and all the goodies,forget it. The 80 is NOT the original drive for that engine, the 80 was a much smaller Renault engine. Unless you want to spend a fortune and a ton of hours at a machine shop making parts to adapt the drives, then sell the 80 transom plate assembly and drive and find the correct drive and T plate for your engine. There are lots around used and although it will not be a bolt in fit, it will be MUCH easier and safer to replace the works with the correct pieces. There will always be someone to buy the 80 drive as they are getting quite rare these days, and parts for them are just about none existent. To the contrary, there are lots of the 120/140 systems around, they made them for a very long time and are plentiful. Just makes sense, especially as the 80 is not rated for the greater torque of the larger engine and will soon fail as you found out.

Re:Mercuiser stern drive 80 8 years 11 months ago #110109

Many thanks gfgarland.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7059 guests and 2 members online