Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is where great FiberGlassics are found and shared. Be it Craigslist, Ebay or your local classifieds, post your sightings here for others to see.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1970 Thunderbird 31ft. tri hull

1970 Thunderbird 31ft. tri hull 6 years 9 months ago #132483

I had no idea Thunderbird made a tri-hull that big. t would need alot of work but would be worth it.
miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/6166289384.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1970 Thunderbird 31ft. tri hull 6 years 9 months ago #132485

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
HOLEEEEECHIT!!!!! that's a beast!!!!!

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

1970 Thunderbird 31ft. tri hull 6 years 9 months ago #132488

I think thats called an AirSlot hull..... 2 outer 'sponsons' are much smaller then the central keel..

More of a deep vee on plane so it doesnt beat you to death crossing waves/wakes, off plane a more stable platform then a semiVee, sort of like a tri-hull.

1970 Thunderbird 31ft. tri hull 6 years 9 months ago #132497

AirSlot was a Wellcraft trademark name for a specific hull that had a deeper channel inboard of the sponson. There were several companies using the larger center V - noteably Thunderbird and Chaparral - and the ride was much improved over the equi-sized tri hulls. I've never seen one that big though. That would be one tough, stable boat but lord that's a lot of work!

This design was generically referred to as a cathedral hull in some of the marketing to differentiate it.

1970 Thunderbird 31ft. tri hull 6 years 9 months ago #132501

Cathedral was the term i was looking for and couldnt come up w, settled on Airslot, inaccurately.... thanks

1970 Thunderbird 31ft. tri hull 6 years 8 months ago #133096

• Kern
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
As stated, this is not a true tri-hull. When shopping for a deck boat a couple years ago, I discovered the Rinker Flotilla, which is a true tri-hull. The hulls are slim and the tunnels between are quite deep. The slim hulls cut through waves quite easily and do not pound in rough water. When on plane the tunnels flow air through them.

I purchased the boat expecting good stability at slow speeds or when anchored along with a good ride through rough water. It has met my expectations quite well and passengers usually comment about the soft ride quality. Unfortunately, they are no longer made and finding good used examples is sometimes difficult.

If any readers are looking for a great riding deck boat, I can highly recommend the Rinker Flotilla.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7001 guests and no members online