Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Johnson 50ESL73R FUEL PUMP HELP!!!

1973 50ESL73R Johnson - Fuel Pump Help!! 8 years 9 months ago #111128

• 66Niagara
  • 66Niagara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok so I have an issue. The guy i bought the boat from had a universal fuel pump put on it. NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE! however I want to replace it with the one thats actually supposed to be there. I don't have any diagram or anything showing what hose goes where and the hoses that are connected now are not right. If someone could give me pictures of where the hoses go from the fuel pump to the carbs and etc it would be much appreciated!!

Also There is 3 places to put hoses there is one on the bottom carb one on the top where I see on the diagram that its supposed to be one hose attaching them together. then there is one in the middle of those two carbs that whoever put this pump in stuck a bolt in the end of that hose and then the other one goes to the crankcase but where theres not even one going to the crank case right now from what I see. Also there is a nipple on the bottom of the air silencer base. what is that nipple for? What does it do and where is the hose supposed to go from that nipple? I figure it was for excess fuel but where is the other side of the hose from that nipple supposed to attach to?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Johnson 50ESL73R FUEL PUMP HELP!!! 8 years 9 months ago #111129

• 66Niagara
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok so I have an issue. The guy i bought the boat from had a universal fuel pump put on it. NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE! however I want to replace it with the one thats actually supposed to be there. I don't have any diagram or anything showing what hose goes where and the hoses that are connected now are not right. If someone could give me pictures of where the hoses go from the fuel pump to the carbs and etc it would be much appreciated!!

Also There is 3 places to put hoses there is one on the bottom carb one on the top where I see on the diagram that its supposed to be one hose attaching them together. then there is one in the middle of those two carbs that whoever put this pump in stuck a bolt in the end of that hose and then the other one goes to the crankcase but where theres not even one going to the crank case right now from what I see. Also there is a nipple on the bottom of the air silencer base. what is that nipple for? What does it do and where is the hose supposed to go from that nipple? I figure it was for excess fuel but where is the other side of the hose from that nipple supposed to attach to? [file/]

Re: Johnson 50ESL73R FUEL PUMP HELP!!! 8 years 9 months ago #111133

• noah76
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
This is very simple... Call Seaway marine in Washington. 1-800-332-0803. You must have your serial number off of the engine. Order the complete pump. Google schematic diagram for fuel pump assembly or look on you tube. Its all self explanatory. I hose goes to top carb and the other goes to the bottom. The reason you don't see a place for the hose from the crank is because it is on the diaphragm factory pump which runs on impulse from the crank case to pump fuel. Hope that helps you. Noah.

F/V "RENDITION" 1967 THUNDERBIRD.

Re:Johnson 50ESL73R FUEL PUMP HELP!!! 8 years 9 months ago #111139

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I wonder if the hoses are mixed up. Look straight at the fuel pump. The hose feeding the pump from the tank goes to the barb feeding the center cover. At the bottom of the pump is two barbs. The left is the pulse feed from the intake manifold. The right goes to a tee fitting that feeds the carbs. Is this what you see?

Re:1973 50ESL73R Johnson - Fuel Pump Help!! 8 years 9 months ago #111141

• noah76
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Is this your fuel pump? This is what is supposed to be on your motor...Unless I am misinformed.
Attachments:

Re:1973 50ESL73R Johnson - Fuel Pump Help!! 8 years 9 months ago #111143

• 66Niagara
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah thats not the same one I have the diagram for the fuel pump but not where the hoses go. These are just for part ordering.

Re:1973 50ESL73R Johnson - Fuel Pump Help!! 8 years 9 months ago #111146

• noah76
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Put some pictures up. There is no return lines for fuel on a 2 stroke. A picture is worth a 1000 words. I willt ry to help you. Noah. 707-529-9525

Re:Johnson 50ESL73R FUEL PUMP HELP!!! 8 years 9 months ago #111151

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Johnson 50ESL73R FUEL PUMP HELP!!! 8 years 9 months ago #111157

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 112
The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sentYou'll find your fuel pump and other parts diagrams for your 1973 50hp JohnnyRude here:

www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1973&hp=50&model=50ESL73R&manufacturer=Johnson§ion=Fuel+Pump

They have a new pump for $79.85 plus shipping.

Fortunately, this pump was used on numerous other models, so there will be a lot of used and new pumps kicking around on eBay. Just do a search of part numbers and there will be many to search from.

For example:

HTH..........ed

Re:Johnson 50ESL73R FUEL PUMP HELP!!! 8 years 9 months ago #111180

• 66Niagara
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thats what i was looking for Kerry! Thank you! does anyone know what the spring in the hose is all about?

Re:1973 50ESL73R Johnson - Fuel Pump Help!! 8 years 9 months ago #111181

• 66Niagara
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
noah76 wrote:

Put some pictures up. There is no return lines for fuel on a 2 stroke. A picture is worth a 1000 words. I willt ry to help you. Noah. 707-529-9525

Just texted you

Re:1973 50ESL73R Johnson - Fuel Pump Help!! 8 years 9 months ago #111192

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 112
See attached pic for connections.......ed
Attachments:

Re:Johnson 50ESL73R FUEL PUMP HELP!!! 8 years 9 months ago #111195

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
66Niagara wrote:

Thats what i was looking for Kerry! Thank you! does anyone know what the spring in the hose is all about?

The spring in the vacuum (pulse/ crankcase) line keeps crankcase vacuum from collapsing the hose.

Re:Johnson 50ESL73R FUEL PUMP HELP!!! 8 years 9 months ago #111628

• 66Niagara
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Kerry wrote:

66Niagara wrote:

The spring in the vacuum (pulse/ crankcase) line keeps crankcase vacuum from collapsing the hose.

Thank you very much! There is another hose in the middle of the two carbs that has a bolt in the end of it like its a breather. what is that? you have one line come from the top carb and another from the bottom then there is this random one in the middle of the two carbs that has a bolt in the end of the hose.

Re:Johnson 50ESL73R FUEL PUMP HELP!!! 8 years 9 months ago #111683

• 66Niagara
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Kerry wrote:

66Niagara wrote:

I just want to thank you all for your help! I got the fuel filter on and the hoses in the correct places. I do have 1 more question.

1. Next to where the hose from the fuel pump goes into the crankcase, there is another smaller tube that runs out but is attached to nothing. Does this attach to the nipple on the bottom of the air silencer?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)