Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New toy box

New toy box 9 years 7 months ago #99914

The project begins

site prep
materials
day 1
day 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New toy box 9 years 7 months ago #99918

Great progress Jim. What is the plan for the floor?

Bob

Re:New toy box 9 years 7 months ago #99920

NICE

Re:New toy box 9 years 7 months ago #99923

Waterwings wrote:

Great progress Jim. What is the plan for the floor?

Bob

Concrete, but probably not until next spring. That way the area can settle longer & be less likely to crack.

Re:New toy box 9 years 6 months ago #100563

Update time; Last weekend they spent framing in the 2' eve overhang and installing the roof purlins. A picture wouldn't do justice, so I waited until this weekend's progress to take some. The open bottom area will be green, the LH door a 10'X12' slider and the RH door a 8'X18' overhead. The clear top is plastic eve light on the back wall.

front RH diagonal

front view

rear view
Attachments:

Re:New toy box 9 years 6 months ago #100586

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looking really nice Jim, on schedule to be "dried in" before the (winter) weather sets in!?

Mark

Re:New toy box 9 years 6 months ago #100588

Good plan Jim and she'll be great when your done. I'm jealous, all that storage!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:New toy box 9 years 5 months ago #102430

Well it's been a few months since I've updated the toy box. Here is the long story;

I got 4 bids I believe to get this building build. 3 prices were close, one was on Mars, so I was down to 3 choices. Finally I decided on a Wick Building (based in WI). Why? Well price was competitive, the salesman was also the contractor and the timeline was the best.

Materials were delivered as advertised and the building was started when promised. However, I did notice that the 2 windows were not delivered but wasn't too concerned as the building could otherwise be worked on. The windows were tracked down and were said to be on the way. Now I am told that Charlie and his crew only work on weekends as they have other jobs thru the week. Well, OK but I expected start to finish work lasting perhaps 4 days. So at this point I am a bit aggravated.
Weekend #2 and the building gets more work done but we also discover that they shipped a beige ridge cap instead of green. So now we wait for a ridge cap and windows.
Weekend #3 and the roof steel goes on without the ridge cap. Walls are now complete except for 12' on the front and still no windows.
2 more weeks go by with out a single word from anyone so I call Wick Buildings corporate and get Cindy the receptionist. She asks me to call Charlie's District Sales Manager (DSM). So I do and leave a message. He returns my call and hears my story. Calls back later same day with a promise that things would start to happen.
Next weekend & nothing happens. Not a word from Charlie, Wick corporate or any delivery of materials.
Monday AM and I make more calls to the DSM. He makes excuses. I also call corporate and talk to Cindy again. She will get back to me or make sure someone does. I do get two windows and a ridge cap delivered in person by Charlie with word that he can't work on it the upcoming weekend, so expect him to finish Nov 1st.
Oct 27 I call Wick corporate again and talk to Cindy. I tell her I want to talk to someone way up the ladder. The CEO would be fine. She tells me they are all in meetings. I tell her that I will begin writing emails to everyone I can find an email address for at corporate and would be sure to include the time and date of the 3 conversations between her and I that got me nowhere. Now I am put thru to Tom Wick, the owner. He assures me he will find out the story & get back to me. Amazingly, he calls back and assures me the building will be finished on Nov 1st.
Nov 1st, Charlie and crew show up to finish and guess what? One window is the wrong color. So still not finished as I type this.

Bottom line, I cannot recommend Wick Buildings. Nothing but pathetic customer service.

front

inside

back
Attachments:

Re:New toy box 9 years 5 months ago #102434

Holy crap Jim what a nightmare. Sorry to hear that. At least it's almost done and the toys are covered.

Bob

Re:New toy box 9 years 5 months ago #102449

Sadly, this kind of stuff seems to come up way too often these days. Jim, did you have the option of paying 1/2 up front and 1/2 when completed to your satisfaction?

Hope they get it all sorted out for you.

Re:New toy box 9 years 5 months ago #102451

guess i was lucky. my 30x50 pole building was put up in 1 1/2 days,including the steel ceiling. it has taken me another two years to get it finished the way i want it inside though. skipp

Attachments:

Re:New toy box 9 years 5 months ago #102476

I still owe them $500 and they won't get it until I get everything to my satisfaction.

I told Tom Wick that I could not & would not recommend them. So hopefully someone will show this thread to him so he can see I don't lie.

Re:New toy box 9 years 5 months ago #102504

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Ya der hey, Conover, almost a yooper by a stretch.
Sounds like the good, bad and ugly but like the man said you have a roof over your toys now and more snow and cold coming our way.
Never dealt with Wick but had some good luck with Keller here in Green Bay. Too late now though. Get some doors on that thing and install a wood burner. :laugh:

Re:New toy box 8 years 11 months ago #108705

Well, an update;
Still missing the 2nd window. Got a letter of thanks in the mail today along with a certificate for a free gift if I recommend a customer to Wick Buildings. I'm writing a letter back to them & will post it here as soon as I am done. Enjoy

Tom Wick
President & General Manager,
Wick Buildings, Inc.

4-20-15

Tom,

I find it almost humorous as I read your letter thanking me for choosing Wick Buildings and offering me a “gift” to recommend your company.

I am sure you are busy, so please let me refresh your memory regarding my purchase;

Last June (2014) I met with your salesman Charlie Jackson who covers the Vilas County area. He gave me a very professional quote that came in about $500 higher than Tim Schley (a strong competitor of yours in this area). Charlie’s timeline was more to my liking (September), he was able to adjust the price a bit to reduce the difference and Charlie/Wick was hired.

Terms were a deposit, balance minus $500 upon delivery of materials and the last $500 upon satisfactory completion. I still have not paid the last $500. Why? Read on!

Materials were delivered timely the end of August. Charlie started construction a week or so later. It was at this point that I was informed that Charlie was not only the salesman but also the builder. He only actually built buildings on weekends. So now the expected completion date seemed unlikely.

Fast forward a week or so and we discover that the 2 windows never arrived and that we received a beige ridge cap instead of green. Charlie makes a few calls regarding the issues and continues building the building. They build until they are ready to install the ridge cap. Now the roof is at a standstill. The walls are continued to about 80% completion and then they don’t return to the job site or even call to keep in touch regarding the status. Furthermore, while inspecting the work completed, I discover 20 wanes coating panels scratched and cigarette butts all over my yard.

Getting frustrated, I call your company directly and ask to speak to someone of authority. The receptionist recommends I contact Charlie’s boss, so I do & he gets back to me. I few stories later & am assured things will progress again.

After 2 more weeks and no progress I again call your phone receptionist (this is my 3rd time calling & talking to her). Again she doesn’t want to put me through to someone. I assure her that if she didn’t put me through that I would begin sending emails to anyone & everyone at Wick that I can find an email address for stating that she would not help an upset customer. At this point she put me through to you. We are now in mid-October.

You and I talk and you call me back later the same day assuring me that things would be done soon. Charlie calls later the same day & we discuss the problems. He stops at the job & inspects the scratched panels, calls me again and states 20 panels will be replaced, the ridge cap on and walls finished that weekend (the weekend of November 1st & 2nd). Charlie does show up as promised that Saturday, changes 20 scratched panels & begins installing windows. As my luck (or maybe your quality control) would have it, you send 2 different color windows. Charlie then had the gall to ask if that would be OK? I’ll refrain from printing my answer here. The walls were finished the same day.

Now, fast forward to today, April 20, 2015 (10 months from our 1st contact) and I still don’t have the 2nd window in my building. Fortunately, the hole was never cut into the wall. Charlie did stop by about 3 weeks ago and said he had my window.

Perhaps this has refreshed your memory enough to remember that I told you at the time I could not recommend your company. Furthermore, here are a few links to web site I frequent:
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/nbr/new-toy-box#108705
www.omcboats.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1610&p=3978#p3978

Yet you send me a letter asking for my recommendations! Come on, you should be apologizing and sending me a partial refund for your screw-ups. I am putting you on notice as of today that you can keep the 2nd window & I’ll be keeping my $500.

Sincerely, Jim Andros

Re:New toy box 8 years 11 months ago #108732

Holy crap Jim that sucks. Very sorry to hear this, great letter by the way!

Bob

Re:New toy box 8 years 11 months ago #108745

i think we all have had similar problems with contractors. i have just this past year. too long to type it out though, but in the end it turned out as i originally expected. ron

Re:New toy box 8 years 11 months ago #108779

I received a call at 4 PM from Tom Wick. He apologized for my issues and made me a goodwill gesture that I will receive my window and that they will waive my $500 balance due. I accepted the offer, so I expect my window to be installed in the near future.

I have a bid for concrete that I have accepted for the floor and aprons outside the doors. Looking at June for that job.

Re:New toy box 8 years 11 months ago #108809

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Hope the concrete work goes better Jim, you deserve a break today. ;)

Mark

Re:New toy box 8 years 11 months ago #109117

nice jim ;)

Re:New toy box 8 years 11 months ago #109155

Would you believe???
Attachments:

Re:New toy box 8 years 11 months ago #109161

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
hey Jim, you got your missing window, nice looking building. frog

Re:New toy box 8 years 11 months ago #109179

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Jim, glad things worked out in the end. Get the concrete poured and don't forget to put your hand prints and date somewhere :laugh:
Now it's time for the spiders and your state bird to move in.

Re:New toy box 8 years 6 months ago #115218

Well, finally got concrete. Had to switch contractors but it's done.

Slab was poured the Saturday the 12th & aprons/sidewalk on Saturday the 19th. Can't drive over the aprons until this weekend, so I've been moving stuff in by hand.

Got power buried from the main box in the house to the panel in shed also, bought a bunch of supplies but haven't tackled that project yet.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6989 guests and one member online