Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.

TOPIC: Houston's thread for hurricanes?

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10251

• houston
  • houston's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
To answer MarkS question a little better, if you have one system which that was just what Alex was a boarder line Tropical storm around 3:30 am this morning. Sometimes they will brake apart forming two separate systems that then will grow separately but far enough away from each other as to "not interfere with the other as to their growth, but still in the same location. the oddity of this both system can be viewed as one from above because the entire mass is rotating counter clockwise and it looks like one hurricane with two eyes. the down fall is they both fight each other for what ever energy source there is available.

now to see my new toy I have, I now can view maritime sea vessels in real time...so of course I wanted to see what was going on in the gulf.

there looks to be 30 + ships active up around the "leak" at this time, the yellow arrows show boat traffic leaving port to stand off, or in a term to ride the storm out. can't see it here in this picture but the US Navy has a large movement just west of Florida head directly towards the storm, when I zoomed in I saw several "private sail boats" that where 1 to 2 knts, which to me would indicate they where adrift.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10252

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Current Better picture

this is a Picture of the storm, and the ships that are out currently, the orange area at the top is the Leak area.
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10254

great coverage mark...much better than t/v weather.

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10258

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Ron!

The following, are what they refer to as the error of possibility's "charts" with some overlays of Alex who is still a T/S with 70 mph winds, which it is coming to that point for Alex to show us (specially me) what he has to give us.

this shows, how Alex is heading, and the most logical path he will take according to the computer models..so far. Note if he changes his track so won't the green guidance outlines for the higher winds, here you can see why they call the 12 to 3, or the North-East side of a hurricane the "dirty side"

here you see the satellite view overlay the same plot map as above.

This should help with the view of his rotation, with any hurricane there no 100% that someone can actually say 4 or 5 days out it will go to point -A-, the most I have seen was 2 to 3 days out using good models. where with Alex we haven't seen yet what he will really do as a hurricane, when he becomes one and starts growing I can honestly say I won't be able to show the satellite view overlay over the gulf, you won't see the gulf.

but the real good news if any, is Alex is NOT expected to become a Cat2, maybe a high Cat-1, landfall point is looking to be -at this time- Brownsville, Texas with a surge expectancy of 40% - 60% chance of a storm surge of at least 3 feet affecting the Brownsville area, and 10% - 30% chance the surge will exceed 5 feet.
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10280

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
BINGO
Alex is the first hurricane of 2010!
looking for landfall 24 to 36 hours (maybe) with 80+ MPH winds.

this was the last daytime GEOS image i was able to capture, before the lost of sunlight, but it shows the tightening spirals and the beginning of a eye formation.
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10295

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Red Possible Landing Area
Yellow Possible High flood advisory's

Figured Some would like a better perspective than some guy stand on a beach saying...any time now, anytime.

time this was taken 11:40 AM/6/30

in this picture you will see how Alex has shut down any intake (Red-X) of the dry air from Texas to his center eye wall, this is a good indication he will now start taking up the warm gulf ocean waters which will help him grow, every one is saying he will be a cat 1, but I am still kind of leaning toward a high cat 1, borderline cat 2.

the little box over Mexico is showing from the borderline to the eye of the storm is 175 miles, at his speed the guy on the beach will be telling us...here it comes...here it comes for a bit longer.

a better explanation of Alex's "storm surge" since the NHC doesn't use that scale anymore, and what is being used now can only be describe by Dr. Masters description about how Dr. Mark Powell's IKE Scale works, and how Alex would be rated.

Dr. Mark Powell of NOAA's Hurricane Research Division has developed the Integrated Kinetic Energy scale to rank storms. The scale ranges from 0 to 6, and a parallel wind damage scale that runs from 0 to 6 is also generated. Alex had an Integrated Kinetic Energy of 2.6 on the 0 to 6 scale at 1:30pm CDT yesterday, and its destructive potential rating for winds was just 1.2. Thus, Alex's surge ranked almost one-and-a-half categories higher in destructive potential than its wind. These numbers have probably increased by a full category since yesterday afternoon. NHC is giving a 40% - 60% chance of a storm surge of at least 3 feet affecting the Brownsville area, and 10% - 30% chance the surge will exceed 5 feet. In theory, a Category 2 hurricane moving WNW at 5 mph can bring a storm surge of up to 8 - 9 feet to the South Texas and northern Mexican coast.

more later folks...
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10319

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Alex makes Land Fall @ 9:30 EST!
120 Miles South of Brownsville, Texas
I guess Geraldo may have been right by 115 miles

Now, he did hit San Jose De Leones, Mexico as a cat 2 (96-110 mph), which would put Brownsville are in to the severe dirty side of Alex's 100 MPH winds. so now alls we can do is sit and wait till the sun comes up to see what mayhem he caused, if we remember the lesson "Dolly" taught us, Brownsville, Texas is in for a ruff wet night.

according to the time stamp, it been 2 weeks 2 days since I started this thread about Alex back when he was just a baby as 92L, hopefully some may have seen the odd addiction in watching them and trying to see where they will go.

All IS Clear, nothing on the scope for about 7 days....

(yes it is one strange hobbie, thanks for letting me share)
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10327

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

One last HiRes stitched together Geo's Picture of Alex right before he hits the mountain range, notice how built up he got and how well he filled in the Gulf. the east by north east trail is just stunning.

just pure...mother earth in all her wonder in one picture.
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10383

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Gulf Coast Sub-tropical (AKA Alex)

Ok, during the approach of what was Alex, I got banned for LIFE after getting in a disagreement with a professional meteorologist from a well known news organization that was viewed LIVE in their Chat room, with every How-so's to my "theory's" I explained the logic of what I was seeing Alex do at the time, and what I felt he would do after...well the funny part all's the professional meteorologist could do was agree with my theory after I explained them BUT because it wasn't in-line with the NHC "models" it not in agreement with what the NHC was predicting, Well I think I said something around the lines that maybe they should take in to consideration other theory's than the NHC because they just move their plots around to look as if they are predicting it as it goes and not really looking ahead to possibility's that could happen. well a little tiff for tat happen about me having to move to MIAMI to set up shop and I said why should I move, I am doing pretty good right here.....and I showed him this page in a link...and after he may of read this...I got banned, so!

So now Alex got his...clock cleaned by the protective high's that are now holding him back from what he wanted to do and that was to go west...so now he has to go east and just ...go away, as a sub-tropical along the gulf coast, which I may have mention this all ready but, a sub tropical can do more damage just with the rain they generate than a hurricane would because for beginners they are generally slow moving, and with Alex, even as a sub-tropical he still want to move west but he can't so this will cause him to move "out" even more slowly, be cause as you can see not only does he have to move out...but he has to move down also.

So now the Remains of Alex, and...the remains of Darby (remember him) which got sucked in to Alex as a snack, they will both now move slowly off to the East generating allot of rain, there is now 118 warnings and advisory's along gulf coast area most are for flooding, which I will stay again...keep tuned in to your local emergency center on what activities are happening in your area.

also on that picture, you can see what gets my attention, and this is some of the information I read about them.

(Point of Interest #6) from 2n to 8n between 24w and 33w...and from 8n to 10n between 46w and 54w. Other disorganized isolated moderate showers and possible thunderstorms are to the south of 7n between 35w and 50w.

more later...
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10397

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

I got banned for LIFE

Dang, H, no "timeout bench" or anything, just out the door!?

Mark

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10425

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Nope, I guess saying something along the lines

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

would cause me to be shown the door instead.

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10431

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Ok, first for some "fun"!

You all know by now I am able to track ships, and I mean....a lot of ships world wide, rather or not they are in an ocean or on a river...or on the Great Lakes, I can see their Speed and Course.

so Of Course everyone by now knows of this ship called, "A Whale" that is, well waiting to go to work in the gulf on the leak, but because of some legal wording on "contaminated waste water discharge", A Whale was being held one the Mississippi.

so of course I had to go see what he/she been up to and where was she this evening and walla, A Whale is on the JOB.
CLICK ON ME!

and here is a pull out of just where she is in the relation to the slick, or the leak...
CLICK ON ME!

Now for the interesting disturbing News to report, there is yet another, YET ANOTHER invest to report on, seeing the NHC really doesn't pick up on them right away, the first one is what remains of Alex as been "reclassified" as an "Invest (94-L)" and in the charts been looking at they are giving "94-L" seven days to move from Mexico where "it" is looking now to the west coast of Florida, remember I said it would take him some time to do this but seven days!

Give you an idea, when I drove my truck from Newark, NJ to LA California, I would legally do it in 4½ days, if it was a hot load 3½ depending on how well my CB sounded, of course now after pulling 3½ days you get out and kind of walking around looking at the truck wondering aloud to yourself but...7 days to go from Mexico to just the baby breath away from the West Coast of Florida really made me wonder if the plot maps I was looking at where right.

so what could be in 94-L's way, or better yet what could possibly be interfering with his eastward drive?

Let's bring in, 95-L, 95-L is right now where 94-L is wanting to go just a baby breath off the west coast of Florida, the odd thing no one has explained to 95-L that heading Westward right now is basically A-BAD idea because of 94-L is heading Eastward, other words these two "invest" systems are on a collision course. and if you put on your thinking caps your gonna guess just where they (at-this-time) look as if they are going to meet. door number one Johnny DOOR NUMBER ONE!
THE GRAND PRIZE...ding ding ding

Ok, in theory...two invest system of "equal value", could become one but still remain separate from each other within the same area but they will still fight each other over the same energy source until one is greater in value and over takes the the weaker system.

Now that works for out in the middle of the ocean, in this case we are talking, around 250 miles off the Gulf Coast. There are so many variables to try-and-take into consideration with this that I can seriously say I have not seen a read on it as of yet, so this could be a case study that will be talked about for years.

Case point #1:two system coming into each other within 250 miles of a shore, and or the Gulf-of-Mexico.

Case Point #2: as you can see, unfortunately the BP oil fiasco is the staging grounds that this looks like it may happen in, so lets forget for a minute that yet again all the "little" boats would again have to head for safe harbor, but how would the Oil on the surface effect the development of -A- Invest into a Tropical Depression and then into a Tropical Storm, I said -A- Invest because we are really talking again about two different system, if 94-L gets down graded to to Subtropical then this completely gets thrown in to the wind...literally, because 95-L would take 94-L in as a energy bar.

Case point #3: the oil dispersant that is being used, how would this have an effect, seriously I have not seen a read on how oil mixed with dispersant diluted in saltwater has a an effect on development of again, -A- invest, I pretty well know what happens when a Cat 5 Hurricane hit's a large oil slick near land, but not vesa-versa, and in the case study there was no dispersant used.

Ok as you can see, everything looks as at-this-time what is 95-L at this time running up in to Dallas/ Fort Worth Texas area up and around maybe over Mississippi into Tennessee giving the possible models, as either a low side a tropical depression or a high side a tropical storm. The best model I have seen is shown a run just North of New Orleans directly over lake "what-cha-ma-call-it" on July 4 or 5th.

gonna make a couple of more case point's here then I gonna call it a night, but giving an Invest is running across this "field", and I all ready know it will grow a little as it looking at this time so with all the "intake" it will have from the Gulf, when and where it makes land fall will the contaminates then have a effect on that area as well. just a little something for everyone to sleep on this weekend, unfortunately I WILL NOT BE AT MY WEATHER DESK during this, cell phones and computers do not work where I am being taken to almost against my will, now I know this is going on.
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10458

against your will!!! you must be going to a nascarevent. hehe

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10582

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
nope did a weekend away from the ..."events"
Life on the bank of Sugar Creek Glen
Up Stream from our Tents (A.M)
Down stream from our Tents
All the babbling noises from the Creek

95L is still active btw 200 miles off the coast of Mississippi which has 10% chance of developing , and there looks to be a menace now called 96L that is developing south/east of yet again the Yucatan Peninsula which has been giving a 20% of coming to full and again..... heading west by north west ....up in to the Rio grand river basin....
I wanna see the writers
For this seasons hurricane
Season!!! to early for a repeat!
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10642

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Ok what was 95-L is gone eastbound up north into the Virgina's....

here is what I like referring to as a homemade "Bender Map" that covers 600 miles of Gulf Coast.

you well see the "Arc" of attack of 96 as it makes it's progressions bend either to the West or to the East. Right now the safe bet looks as if the complete coast of Texas and the Northern area of Mexico, south of the Rio Grand River is in the danger zone.......(AGAIN)
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10696

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
What is a rather "unknown" about hurricanes, is simple, they leave a wake much like a boat, their wake can be seen in a dramatic drop in water temperature in the area where they traveled.

This is what is making life on 96 hard right now, it wants to go west by north west up the Texas boarder but the travel would involve going over what would be "cold" water left behind in the wake of 93-L aka "Alex"

one of two things will happen:

A: 96-L will just, stall and die
B: 96-L will turn to the west and head directly into Mexico...as to not even being able to get named as a storm.

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10776

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
96-L has been renamed to TD-TWO, and is looking to be following the same path as Alex did which TD-TWO looks more into going directly to Brownsville Texas...basically it gonna be a mess, with flooding.

now I watched something during the over night-day, that really has me wondering, never seen it happen but the trail from Alex to EU broke apart just above main and trailed all the down into the Bahama's off the coast of Florida....I watched it forming and I am still...what the ?! is going on.
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10795

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Ok the system I been watching other than TD-TWO is this mess off the east coast which droped out of the north to just southeast of North Carolina.

the entire East coast should be watching this system, as soon as this stationary protective High checks out and goes north by northeast...

it looks it well be a an old fashion Nor-easterner that will move in
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10796

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
magic duplicated posting that I can't delete...
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #10834

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

you can see this banding line of clouds from TD-TWO that are angled off to the North East, this line of Clouds will over the Friday, Saturday and Sunday effect the east coast from the great lakes south to the S.C. "area"

in the mean time, the Subtropical Nor-easterner will sit just off of South Carolina giving the Delaware down some pop up storms, this will continue till Saturday when what remains of TD-TWO and the Nor-easterner come together...just south of...New York City.

so I would suggest if yea got a boat, tie it to the front porch, this looks like it could be a real wet one.

can you tell it a slow moment on the hurricane updates...but maybe there was something popping off of Africa that will add some spark to this season
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #11543

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Look at the scope just now, and walla we have an invest ACTIVE just under 1,000 miles southeast of Miami, which would put it just east of Portia Rico....and this is gonna really go over rather not to well either because 97L is going to roll over Hatti giving those folks some more bad..on bad.

expect 97L will enter the Gulf of Mexico early next week. NHC is giving 97L a 20% chance of developing into a tropical depression by Wednesday. The Hurricane Hunters are on call to fly into 97L Tuesday afternoon, if necessary. The plots for 97L as of right now have it rolling across P.R. and across Hatti then across Cuba's leeward side and up into the gulf.

A second region of concern is a tropical wave in the Western Caribbean, near Jamaica. This wave is currently producing widely scattered thunderstorms, and shows no signs of organization. However, wind shear is a light 5 - 10 knots over the wave, and we need to keep an eye on this one. The wave will continue to the west at 10 - 15 mph this week, and will bring the threat of heavy rain to Belize and Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula late this week. NHC is giving this wave a 20% chance of developing into a tropical depression by Wednesday.

haven't had much of a chance to really look at either, just got home from a ball game...let's go redwings!

we where out field...in the picnicker area, and I kind of just looked around and kind of just said....yea have to be kidding, the right foul line was over dar....the left foul line was over dar, and I asked all the other picnickers that where there from genny's company if anyone happen to think about bringing a glove and a hard hat....

that about when the FIRST incoming missal hit....then later another, then later yet another. 3 over the top pop's, and one lucky kid.

the one kid, I had to buy him a bag of peanuts, just to tell him, Kid for the rest of your life when ever you have HOT Ball PARK PEANUTS your gonna remember this day...just you stay over dar and we will watch from over here cuss...you got this baseball tracking thing stuck on you tonight, I have no clue how the players see that ball...we wouldn't know we where in some kind of "danger" till you heard them kaboom off something or into the ground somewhere near...but then again somehow for some reason you would hear it, look and there be that kid just looking like what the heck are the odds?
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #11576

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
ok...

this is not looking good...

this maybe come one for the record books, it from a low probably of formation within 72 hours to a "in the red" dangerous 100% potential formation with in 24 hours....in a little under 12 hours, yes it is heading into the gulf via the leeward side of Cuba in the "channel" between Cuba and Florida....

this could become the worse case scenario for BP and the Gulf of mexico.
little side note:

I been noticing Bp is trying to "distance" it's "brand" from the connection to the the oil spill, finding "BP" in connection to "oil spill" on the web really never reads in the same description, even on their own website it is the "Gulf of Mexico response" or it -a- deepwater horizon oil spill where you will not see BP and the words oil spill used in the same article.

as sad it may be to say, add one big "mess" in the gulf to a potential Cat two/cat three hurricane driving right over it, there is gonna be a little bit of history being writing that BP will have to deal with that will be associated with it's brand forever.

would of, could of, should of: it's just to late for anything other than to wait....and clean it all up afterwords.
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #11614

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
well tomorrow I should have some good pictures of 97L (aka Bonnie) but...she is being bashful and doing her very best to stay out of the GEO hires picture frame.

she looks to be on the same track as Katrina was, and there is nothing stand in her way other than a little wind shear.

the southern end Florida is going to look forward to a bit of a soak-er late Thursday early Friday, where there is going to be a "little" jump off shore to the "warm" spot of the gulf.

any one care to give a guess where the warm spot is in the Gulf?

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #11643

by the oil spill.......

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #11672

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
well "by" not a good description, the area that has the up-most potential of helping 97 L turn in to Bonnie is the area approximately 150 miles worth that is know as the "slick", for some odd reason that area has become the warmest area of the gulf.

btw right now, there is 98 L that just formed over night down in the south west pocket of the gulf where Alex came across down just north of the Yucatan Peninsula, 98 L doesn't look to be much of a threat as it stands right now but what concerns me is not what it can turn into. but what it could do.

if 98 L cranks around, which there is a chance it could run up the Mexico Coast and then along Texas and back to the east...there a big problem there.

97 L would have come into the "picture" around this time as a well defined system, that would take 98 L and swallow it as an "energy bar" which would make 97 "POP" and grow substantially.

ok looks as if 97 L is going to be mimicking Katerina's passage into New Orleans, some shorelines are all ready "glowing" with tidal surge potential threats.... from New Orleans to Houston Texas

Found "two" groups of people who now have blacklisted me on their visit list, one is those people from the "you-know-where" church, I think I just completely scare those guys.....:X

and the other group...is this new tea party crew...

so what could be so wrong telling them I am not going to vote for any one, unless they candidate is willing publicly post a resume "online" in a PDF format with attached list of accomplishments and who they where for, WITH a contact sheet.

least to say they started arguing with each other about the pro's and con's of my idea.... :ohmy:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #11721

LOUISIANA DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY!!!!!

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #11736

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
yup that's right ron and for some real good reasons....

A: 97 L went to a T/D-3 to T/S Bonnie here just moments ago (for me that is, i was going to post it when it happen but I had to go to the store and stock up on some Ice T for the big show...)

so here is what I was seeing last night, after looking at all the data maps I was to brain dead and beat to post them...

in the pic's the label 97 L would need to be changed to Bonnie.

here you can see 97 (aka) Bonnie an the tracks I have been seeing, and 98 L coming into the southwest pocket.

Now, the way I see it 98 will get stalled up against the shore not being able to find energy and being interfered by the Mexico mountain range that as it begins to beat it self to death it will get sucked in to Bonnie giving her an extra pop of energy after she cross over Miami on the western shore of Florida in the gulf, which would be well in to the "zone of uncertainty", but even being days if not a week away....I see New Orleans getting hit almost directly because of the Mississippi delta which lays all that nice...warm river water as an energy source.

zone/cone of uncertainty is what NHC uses to cover themselves for they can not blow a forecast...they well give a land point of let say the Texas-Mexico boarder and their zone/cone of uncertainty could extend 200 miles either way...

but...my personnel look at it, 80% chance of this coming to shore between Lafayette and Baton Rouge which unforgivably puts New Orleans on the dirty side of the the center.
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 9 months ago #11747

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
ok I pulled out the big gun and gone fancy on my old Google earth.

here is a little less than 12 hours from that other picture I did....

the thing is I been hearing that Bonnie might not make it to a cat 1, but I do no think the models are adding in 98 get sucked off the mountains in Mexico, 98 right now is the deer in the middle of the head lights of Bonnie and it (98 L) is totally clueless along with the computer models of how this could play out.

if 98 gets sucked of the mountains, Bonnie could (possibly) "pop" to a high cat 2, low cat 3
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 8 months ago #11856

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
as it stands right now...T/S bonnie got downgrade to a T/d, which as it looks, "she" is right now trying to bring around 98 L which has completely changed directions "off the mountains" and is now heading N/E like I figured it would BUT...typical for a guy (aka Colin) to being slow on getting hooked up with a gal in the gulf.

Bonnie, btw has been hauling a we-bit faster than projected, But as far as "landfall", I was dead on the money but slightly off as it is right now. she looks to be hooking about 10 or so miles to the east of Baton Rouge.

I would love to see something come of this (somewhere else), but as it stands right now, there is "no-joy" in bonnie.

one that is not even on the charts yet BTW is popping up over Jamaica this could become 99L (maybe) but I doubt it.

btw 98 has brought it self in tight and Bonnie could redirect it back out in to the gulf to the N/E.

other than all that it quite.

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 8 months ago #12218

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Ok, as well all know, I love September....

here it is, July 30 and it only seems the fireworks where just the other day..

got an note from Dr.Jeff today...doesn't look good for the gulf.

invest 90 (w/aka Colin): 7/30/2010-A.M.

90L forms in far eastern Atlantic
NHC has designated an area of thunderstorms in the tropical Atlantic as Invest 90L (8.5 N, 30.0 W). Microwave remote sensing suggests there are some decent thunderstorms in 90L, as peak rain rates were around 1 - 2 inches per hour. According to CIMMS wind-shear analyses, 90L is under a moderate 10 - 15 knots of wind shear, and upper level winds over the disturbance are diverging, which creates a vacuum effect that will enhance updrafts and thunderstorm growth. The disturbance is tracking into a broad area of weak shear to the west and northwest. The steering currents for 90L are to the west-northwest, which will move it into this area of weaker shear. The disturbance is at 8°N latitude, which is too close to the Equator to leverage the Earth's spin very well to spin up. As 90L's west-northwest motion carries it farther from the Equator, the additional spin the disturbance gains from the Earth's rotation will aid development, particularly once 90L gets north of 10°N latitude.The Saharan Air Layer with its dust and dry air lurks just to the north of 90L, but the SHIPS model predicts 90L will remain far enough from the dry air over the next five days so that it will not interfere with development.

Dr. Jeff

Yup that the new hey maker, and yes that is just of the coast of Africa, mater of fact to put it in perspective, I dropped a big red pin in miami seems this is where what is invest 90 which will be /aka Colin.

if any one is follow this, it called the Africa train, which will POP out invest after invest...after, the most I had on my map plots at one time was five...

more later, and yes this looks even at this time to be one for the books.
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 8 months ago #12357

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
OK, INVEST 90 went...off the charts, now I know it is still there....I see it there on the wide view Atlantic satellite....Buuuuuuut.

here's the miffer, because the NHC aka the National Hurricane Center, is again saying....aaaaa nothing is going to become of...it, so "we" are going to stop tracking it, which then no one plots nothing about it or the direction it is heading...

but I still see it in the wide Atlantic satellite...I know it is there, and ...now you do, so over the course of the next 5 days or so if nothing seems to POP UP expectantly...like a hurricane, what I just may start posting about is...how much fun it is NOT HAVING THEM.

for those who don't know, I am "into" flight simulator X, I also use two other programs with that called Active Sky evolution and X-Graphics which will bump up your flying pleasure, with pretty white clouds..and lighting.

since I have gotten the programs, we have only had Alex, and I tend to wonder why we send a real airplane in to these systems when we have the means capable to "translate" tons of information and have it shown in 3D and in real-time and to make it better there are "on board weather radars that I watch to see the pressure readings also.

I got to test this somewhat while shadowing the hurricane hunters course and watching what they where transmitting in real time on goggle earth to what my kc-130 was giving me in both views and what the readings where in real life compared to what was coming from the simulated flight, durring Alex I ran a mower pattering (expanding circles) to the real X pattern that was really being flown and the numbers from both...pretty well match up.

so...yes I am flying around in and around where 90 is and it may be "to insignificant to the NHC to follow, but it could come about into something here in the future, to marrow I will fly a day-light run on it to give you a better idea of what I am talking about.

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 8 months ago #12358

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
So when you fly are the graphic some what real looking? Can you fly over my house and see my stuff? Its amazing what you describe. So anyway can you atleast see the clouds around my location? Thats pretty hi-tech stuff, Mike

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 8 months ago #12429

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
hey bigfoot, tell yea, this "answer" gonna sound a little lame...but.

sence you know where your house is, you can "build it" for what it is...or what you wish it would be, then you can add "stuff" to it that would give it the real look, a boat or two and your cars...and the trees

people don't seem to get FSX, but there is this program that comes in the deluxe edition that enables you to do just that using GMAX which is a pretty straight forward CAD program. so if you know the X/Y/Z of your house (the height, width and Length) you would "build it" and then...slew around in your hood and drop your house in where it belongs.

FXS uses Google maps, and you would not believe how many people are adding their houses in the "3-D sketch-up" where you can download that straight from Goggle as a KLM file and convert it in to a scenery location for FSX. your neighbors and your local company's are always adding stuff to the sketch-up...

so that pretty well covers...the simulated land, now on to the weather, well now that the fun part! FSX flys in real time with real weather updates as they are in real time...which of course doesn't mean if you see a flash...on the screen your gonna hear the boom in your window, there is a 15 min delay in the D/l from jensen.

Now...with the stuff I have, it takes that it bit further, where as with the dopler radars in the real world cut about 20 some differnt slices of an area, take a 1 mile by 1 mile area square and cubed.

dopler shows how high the clouds are and which are "heavy" with moister and what type it would be giving the temp and it also knows the wind and it direction at different levels...

not to long ago, an MRI just about did the same thing to a human body, up till recently an acquaintance of mine invented what is called a 3-D MRI that is now widely being used/abused.

abused as in, you have in my case something wrong with you head, which then something goes wrong in you back and doctor want to take xrays (OMG) of your shoulder to see if it "fixable", MRI's avg around 3500 dollars a session. I am stumped as to why when they have you in the machine, which now in some cases your just laying on a table and no longer in a tube, why don't they just run a complete mri from the top to the bottom with one bill.....medical abuse 101.

Now back to FSX, FSX is doing to the weather what Keith Black did with the MRI machine, FSX turns all that information in to a 3-d image, where I could look at the national radar and see a system in Cleveland (or in my case a hurricane off the north shore of south america)...and I can take a jet ( I prefer a F-18 or an F-14) which I can "locate" my jet in Erie and take off and scream towards clevland to "watch-it" like I use to listen to music...is it live or is it memorex...where now the FXS evolution and weather graphics is what Memorex was to music. yes the clouds look real, the rain sounds real and yes if your windshield is getting wet your gonna have to flip on some wipers.

I tend to go for the "complicated" FSX plane models, where because I know what I am doing...I know how to geardown a f-18 with the air dams active and the flaps down and dragging the tail hook...I can manage 150-160 mph which is like standing still...but.

the other fun thing is having the one "know it all" ripping me because I brought a KC-C130 to a on line location that is for carrier base planes...

well well well did you know, according to the "Know-it-All" C-130's are not a carrier based airplane!
this was really done in real life btw....just had to do it.
MR. Know-it-All...do I get a simulated COOKIE!

NOW, on to the weather...which the NHC is really pulling..some stuff.

they said 90L was no longer developing so they stop tracking it, well with in 12 hours of that...they announced a "NEW" system and named it 91L...which just so happen to be right where I was plotting 90L, it has to be a government thing because Invest 90/91 L is the 800 pound gorilla in the east Atlantic right now (hence my need for an aircraft carrier) so...what they are also not talking about is yet another system right on the heals of 90/91L which by the way it looks like 90/91 will more than likely run the channel up in to the gulf where as the other gorilla, which would be aka 92L (here in a bit) seem to be reading to me as a long awaited wake up call for the east coast from the northern Va coast up, but it a bit far out for figuring that out right yet.

if you look at it from the attackers angle you can see just where they would most likely make land fall, but the equation is the massive protective high in the south east/east coast which holds odds on swatting the 800 pound gorilla back across the Atlantic.

(HOLD ON...I posted a Simulated Boat....this is qualified for the MAIN FORM because BOATS-ARE-GREAT...hehehehehe , well they are a great place to get fuel when your in a pinch which is another story all together...about MR. Know-it-All...)
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 8 months ago #12450

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
INVEST 90/91 just been updated to a tropical Depression and has been named "Four"...which will become the 800 pound gorilla named Colin...
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 8 months ago #12472

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
OH big Foot, if you want to be "simply" Amazed...

Get Google Earth and then the "weather-tools for Google Earth"....

now, if and when you want to drop a jaw, you open GE and activate Weather Tools for Google and with a touch of a button you start looking at the earth...in 3-D...with all the weather around it, how ever want it.

here is what I call a ALLTAL, where I light up one section at a time on the globe and I place a "marker" of different areas that get my attention for that selection.

I have found out...that mother nature will pull stuff that a computer model won't tell you about, here in this picture is a real good example.

all the models show TD-4 basically heading in the same direction on the same course, except for two or three that would make you think those models stepped out for an extra lunch, but if you "marked-up" the globe with what caught your eye...tilt the globe to give your mind a better angle of what your seeing for your basically doing a POV from the storm perspective, you tend to find out why it may look that a couple of models that seemed off from the rest could make it look like they odd looking ones are right and the main stream models are wrong....

TD 4 is marked over the models, the triangle is a well developed dry air mass that is packing allot of "shear wind", which could KILL TD-4, but as you see all the models have TD-4 heading straight in to that area except for two or three....

again the thing that gets me, is this has been the "same-system" across the Atlantic, that for some reason the NHC will dismiss it and agnore it just to have to rename it again...

this may happen to TD 4 yet again, Invest cycle form 90-99, Tropical depression are numbered by how many "invest" have devolved in to tropical depressions, in this case for 2010 there been 3 up till now this being the 4th.

if TD 4 does hit the dry wind shear and gets clobbered, I lay odds what remains of TD 4 would get renamed again and the process yet again would start over, I personally do not think this is a proper responsible way to track the systems for it slews the data and releases the NHC from been active, many times I have seen developed storms get clobbered, just to have them come back up again and the NHC just kind of muddles through the whole process again. a good example of this happen this year with Alex, where as Alex grew the 2ed time, everyone at the NHC said they where not expecting it to grow so much so soon as if they didn't know the history of that system. well let me think, the way they track them, there would be no "history" because according to Alex's official history that invest "sprung-up" off south Haiti and nothing is told about from the frist track off the coast of Africa.

But doing it the way they do it, leaves a relief -out- for the response for "after the fact", all ways you will hear "it developed so close and so fast before we could react to what was happening we could not evacuate the area....."

I watched Katerina for over a week before it hit New Orleans, if you do some archive scanning you would see how I was days ahead of the local news and the advisory's, just to hear the same old "relief" from the NHC. I tend not to except the excuses they have for not being able to forecast a hurricane. simple there NORAD and there is the NHC, if there was a headquarters where the NHC could work out of that could be out fitted like NORAD...let me see here, could they have an excuse?

I am just a guy with a "little" desk top computer, wounder what I could do if I had several rather large computers at my beck-and call.
Attachments:

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 8 months ago #12526

"I am just a guy with a "little" desk top computer, wounder what I could do if I had several rather large computers at my beck-and call."
OMG.... WATCHOUT GERALDO!!!!!!

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 8 months ago #12553

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Yeah, I want to get google earth. That stuff sounds pretty neat.
Seems like the nhc needs a upgrade too...Mike

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 8 months ago #12555

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
gonna show yea something here in a bit....hold on to your seat.

hope your data in your profile is up to par...(hehehe)

OH btw all...td-4 been upgraded to TS Colin!! same track but it tending not to look very good for the outter banks of North Carolina.

gotta get up in the simulated air and take some pic be back in a bit bigfoot...

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 8 months ago #12573

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
OK UPDATE:..Colin hit the dry air wind shear and was brought down to his kness, he is OFF THE NHC PLOT MAPS AS DEAD! totally incorrect but...

still plotting the remains of Colin....

durring all this nothing has been said about the "other system" I mention last week that was with Colin back off his southeast as a shadow, guess what Colin's shadow is in the Channel now just south east of P.R. and looks like this will track up in to the Gulf (again) viva Cancun Mexico and the Yucatan Peninsula.

as a joke, that makes me giggle...can you say Yucatan? You-can-tan ...well that sure ain't the case this year.

Ok on to the fun bigfoot!

Bigfoot doesn't know it yet, but I stopped into where he lives...and, well in the simulated world that is.
pre check in an old Cessna 210
pre check NAVLIGHTS ON
Nice Area Airport Bigfoot
flying back over bigfoots airport

in FSX9 (fs2004) you can play "God", time of day, weather...can be manipulated to your liking during the flight, same with FSX.

here I come across what I call a aerial bus...so I had to brighten up the day a little...no longer Dawn in Bigfoot's home town!
Passing the bus

ok that was all in...FS2004, but what about the Same place...in FSX?
Same place just different rig
Same day even

I think over all, you would rather have FSX, where you can easily manage your models and...change the skins on them....thats my issue hobbie as we speak...painting the airplane. been doing them the old school way what I am trying to learn how to do is now in the 3D prospect of GMAX, giving everything (with me personally) I need all the advice I can get about Gmax and FSX. just a hobbie but....I think some will find it interesting what you can model in to a 3D model useing Gmax

ever hear of a boat by chance? what if..we could have a 3D model of our boats in the library where visitors can zoom and spin 360/360 to look at it, that to me sounds rather interesting and I think would put another notch with fiberglassics. just need to find the where-for-all on how to do it.

Re:Houston's thread for hurricanes? 13 years 8 months ago #12584

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
lol, that does look like my airport, terrain and the mountain(s) near my house. I just walked out side to see if I can spot any of those clouds but not one in site. Its been 4 hours any way, lol...Too cool, Mike

Time to create page: 0.377 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5450 guests and no members online