Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sothern storm

Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89555

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Any personal experiences from our members in the southern snow belt? I watch the weather channel and am amazed at the inability of the younger generation to cope with slippery/icy roads. A season above the Mason Dixon line for some training would be a good thing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89556

I feel sorry for them but have to chuckle a little. Just this morning it was -3.

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89559

Here I am, on the scene in Easley, SC

We are expecting 6-10 inches today-tonight.

What does that mean for us? A state of civil emergency has been called.

No school yesterday, today, and most likely tomorrow also and nearly all businesses are closed as well.

The worst is going to be nearly an inch of freezing rain and ice across the state capital today.

I know my "Northern" friends are laughing at us! haha

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89562

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
So far, the weather guessers have been wrong. I woke up this morning to a dusting of snow, not several inches. More may come later today but I wouldn't bet on it. I'm beginning to think it's a conspiracy to sell groceries. It's really quite ridiculous. The whole area looks like "Life After People."

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89564

Andrew,
Myself being born and raised in the Buffalo area, and those further north, do get a chuckle when the south gets a little snow. In fact, here in Cincinnati area, I tell folks I'd be embarrassed to be stuck in snow 5" deep which is considered a dusting.
But I'll tell you.... if you guys get an inch of ice ? You all will be in a world of hurt ! Don't park you car or boat under anything. There is nothing fun about hearing 12" diameter tree limbs cracking and falling to the ground, or live power lines wiggling around the ground because of the ice build up breaking the lines.

So get your chain saw ready.... you'll need it !

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89565

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Not much snow in the Atlanta area yet, but as stated they say more to come. There ARE around 200,000 homes without power already from the ice storm, however. We're luck at my house, power and cable TV still on. Firewood is stocked up for the fireplace, kerosene heater on the ready in the garage for the pets, pantry stocked with a weeks worth of supplies. Being born and raised in eastern Iowa, I'm about as prepared as one can get I guess.

The big thing is being smart enough to STAY OFF THE HIGHWAYS when they're a sheet of ice! Years of experience don't help a bit if you can't turn or stop, and getting stuck out there somewhere in a ditch is no way to "weather the storm". So far people are heeding the warning, we shall see. Having just had a kidney taken out three weeks ago, I'm NOT taking any chances!!! :)

Mark

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89567

take care of yourself mark...ron

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89574

Yeah holy crap Mark I didn't know you had a kidney taken out. Hope you're doing ok now. Wondered why I hadn't seen you post in a while.

Bob

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89576

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I live in the middle of NC. Have all my life. I have no trouble getting around in this.You just have to watch out for the idiots. Used to be pretty common to have one or two good snows (3-6 inches) a winter. Another thing that we used to get was d@mn freezing rain and I truly hated that stuff. Back then it always meant power out for a week.

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89577

MarkS wrote:

Having just had a kidney taken out three weeks ago, I'm NOT taking any chances!!! :)

WOW Mark, that's a major operation! I hope your resting and recuperating!

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89578

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Chuck in Cincinnati wrote:

Andrew,
Myself being born and raised in the Buffalo area, and those further north, do get a chuckle when the south gets a little snow. In fact, here in Cincinnati area, I tell folks I'd be embarrassed to be stuck in snow 5" deep which is considered a dusting.
But I'll tell you.... if you guys get an inch of ice ? You all will be in a world of hurt ! Don't park you car or boat under anything. There is nothing fun about hearing 12" diameter tree limbs cracking and falling to the ground, or live power lines wiggling around the ground because of the ice build up breaking the lines.

So get your chain saw ready.... you'll need it !

Yeah, I keep a tractor with a carry all full of firewood under one of those cheap metal carports. I decided this afternoon to squeeze it in the basement because I'm a little worried about what your talking about. I don't know how much snow it can handle before it folds LOL.

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89580

Picture of my gang playing in the "Snow Storm of 2014"

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89581

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Mark,hope your feeling better.

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89592

• MarkS
Thank you for the well wishes gang, getting better and stronger everyday. Just tryin' to "stay the course" and take it one day at a time.

8 PM and we still have power, the freezing rain and sleet has changed over to snow. We might just make it through this mess unscathed yet! (Knock on wood.) ;)

Great pics Andrew, thanks for sharing!

Mark

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89593

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Sounds like I'm late for the party, been gone all day. A prayer for you Mark.
Went north to Marquette, MI at noon, just a normal drive on the 200 mile trip up to the shore of Lake Superior. When I got there the weather was beautiful, low 20's and sunny. They do have their normal snow fall though so I snapped a picture with my phone to show you guys.

This was the drive north.

This is normal snow for the area. I was in a Lowes parking lot with my Jeep.
Attachments:

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89598

Nice! Well it's been snowing since 8:00PM and we have 3/4" already and it's suppose to snow through the night and into tomorrow. This could get interesting!

Bob

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89605

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Mark, sorry too here about your health problems, and hope you make a complete recovery. our prayers are with you as i'm sure everybody else's from the gang also. take care. i'm from north central mn , and we get a lot of snow, but I feel for you guys that get freezing rain before the snow, that really sucks. frog

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89610

• MarkS
Thanks again for the kind thoughts gang, you guys are the best! Really helps the "physche" to know you've got folks who care about you at times like these. My wife and grand daughters have been angels about taking up my slack, since I've been pretty worthless for almost a month now.

Morning Storm Update - I'm about 50 miles south of Atlanta, and we got mostly freezing rain and sleet all night long, very little snow. MANY trees down, and of course power lines as well. It looks like around 2 to 3 inches on the back deck, but I'm not going out there to measure it. He he Maybe I can talk one of the grand daughters into it later? Everything is covered with a thick glaze, looks like a winter wonderland out there.

We did loose power here last night for a relatively short time, but Georgia Power had it back on in less than an hour. We had candles, flashlights, and a fire going in the fireplace so it wasn't that big of a deal. We were much more fortunate than others, looking at the news reports this morning some folks really have it rough around us.

One historic building in Atlanta collapsed from the weight of all the snow and ice on the roof! Several deaths from hypothermia, one right here in my home town. 50 yr old man was trying to go to a neighbor's house to stay warm, fell and hit his head on his front steps. They found him later dead from "exposure". Very sad indeed.

Those pics make me cold just looking at that mess Cal, you're a brave soul sir! One of the reasons these type of winter storms are so catastrophic down here is the lack of equipment to handle the clean-up. It was very rare for it to even happen on a small scale in the past, but now seems like every 3 to 5 years we get a bad one.?

Mark

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 2 months ago #89618

mark,you get better buddy,Lorraine and i are thinking of you.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Sothern storm 10 years 1 month ago #89979

• MarkS
Thanks John, I appreciate it! Finally got the pathology reports back yesterday, NOT what I wanted to hear. The bright side is they believe they got it all out, have to go back for re-check in 4 months. Said I can't go back to work for another 8 weeks, feel bad for my wife! LOL

I finally got my grand daughter to help transfer a pic from my phone to the computer, so here's a little "glimpse" of what my back yard looked like after the storm. Thankfully the only thing under the canopy was a Glastron trailer waiting for it's refresh.
Attachments:

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8350 guests and 2 members online