Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: I think I found the witches boob.

I think I found the witches boob. 10 years 2 months ago #89360

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Another day and night in the -30's chill factors. This is getting sad. Which is colder, a miners arss in the Klondike, a well diggers arss or the proverbial witches tit??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:I think I found the witches boob. 10 years 2 months ago #89361

I think we have all three ( or is it 4 ) in the same hole. It is pretty bad when they predict it is going to get up to the normal high of the upper 20's and it sounds like t-shirt weather.
By the way, that Merc 1150 that I bought from your nephew ran great last fall. It sure pushes my Thompson right along. I had 4 adults in the boat and according to my speedometer (as accurate as they are) we were doing 43 MPH. That is a gain of about 9 MPH over the '63 850 that i was running. I didn't have a tach hooked up yet so I don't know if it was running out all the way, so I might even get a little more. Thanks again for the contact info to make it all work out.
Bill

Re:I think I found the witches boob. 10 years 2 months ago #89363

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Well-diggers and miners never sit on their ass however, a witch's tit is always cold...actually, they both are. I know this from experience. I dated one many years ago and she put a spell of poverty on me...from which I've never recovered.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:I think I found the witches boob. 10 years 2 months ago #89379

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey Bill, Glad you jumped on it. One of the few times where a seller and buyer are both happy.
Cold is one thing, lots of snow added to it is another. Just hope we don't get a fast thaw with the ground frozen as deep as it is or we're all in deep water.
Cal

Re:I think I found the witches boob. 10 years 2 months ago #89381

I think every one has forgotten about the cold neutered brass monkey. Nautilus, you must have been married to that witch in order for that spell to have taken its full affect. this I know to be true as I used to have some nice shiny furniture . remember ? you have seen it.

Re:I think I found the witches boob. 10 years 2 months ago #89383

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Just to set the record straight about the brass monkey. This is quite interesting for all us old salts.

"brass monkey
Every sailing ship had to have cannon for protection. Cannon of the times required round iron cannonballs. The master wanted to store the cannonballs such that they could be of instant use when needed, yet not roll around the gun deck. The solution was to stack them up in a square-based pyramid next to the cannon. The top level of the stack had one ball, the next level down had four, the next had nine, the next had sixteen, and so on. Four levels would provide a stack of 30 cannonballs. The only real problem was how to keep the bottom level from sliding out from under the weight of the higher levels. To do this, they devised a small brass plate ("brass monkey") with one rounded indentation for each cannonball in the bottom layer. Brass was used because the cannonballs wouldn't rust to the "brass monkey", but would rust to an iron one.

When temperature falls, brass contracts in size faster than iron. As it got cold on the gun decks, the indentations in the brass monkey would get smaller than the iron cannonballs they were holding. If the temperature got cold enough, the bottom layer would pop out of the indentations spilling the entire pyramid over the deck. Thus it was, quite literally, cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.
Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey."

Re:I think I found the witches boob. 10 years 2 months ago #89391

I actually knew that. but the way I herd it was that the first monkey plates were made from wood. and the wet and freezing conditions would cause the wood to contract and freeze. different materials were tried . it was found that brass was the best for the job. If the balls did freeze off a brass monkey then it is indeed very cold.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)