Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New project - tiny travel trailer

Re:New project - tiny travel trailer 12 years 9 months ago #35472

wow frank,absolutly great job,it looks like new,john

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:New project - tiny travel trailer 12 years 8 months ago #36106

I don't know if it looks new John, but flattery will get you everything!

Gail got a couple new cushions done yesterday. Both the 1st ones are seats, they're 17" wide, backs will be 21. All 4 will be 54" X 76" - full bed size.

Too many interruptions today, but did get my wiring done and cleaned up. No good position to do this in, and me with a bad back. My sciatic nerve is speaking to me...

If you look back at any of my previous post pics, you could see what I started out with. I ripped everything out, then quickly wired it for Tear Up the Adirondacks 1st weekend of June. Needed to re-do it to free up space in this lower rear hatch. You can see in the right side pic wires for both the tail light, and marker lights as well.

I believe I will cover a good portion of the back of the hatch where all the wires run with a piece of luan fastened so it comes off easy. That will protect most everything, and allow free use of the space for other stuff.

Been one thing after another! Next is scissor jacks. Well, no, next is cleaning up the mess I left from wiring!

Frank
Attachments:

Re:New project - tiny travel trailer 12 years 8 months ago #36107

WAY TO GO... GAIL....
Attachments:

Re:New project - tiny travel trailer 12 years 8 months ago #36242

Well folks, as of 6:30 yesterday morning, Gail and I became grandparents. I figured I was going to Buffalo to see my first grandchild, but woke up sick and couldn't go. Gail did, so in-between resting and trying to take it easy, I mounted 4 scissor jacks.

I did it as close to each corner as possible, while keeping the jack ends away from people's shins. I added a new angle iron crossmember in the back, and used scrap pieces (a bit over 10" each) from cutting the rear piece to size to mount the front ones. Old steel looks crummy, but it's still good and strong. Each jack will be mounted with two 3/8 and two 5/16 bolts. I got new hardware last night (everything is just finger tight), and will wrap it up this morning. Basically, all the hard work is done!

Next is putting the inside back together again. I have new 1/4" birch plywood to cover the walls where the carpet was, and 2 sheets of 3/4" oak AB grade for our bed and future seats. I'll start on that today.

I hope you all have a great 4th!

Frank

Re:New project - tiny travel trailer 12 years 8 months ago #36252

Looking great Frank. She's coming together nicely. Gail does great work the cushions look very comfortable.

Bob

Re:New project - tiny travel trailer 12 years 8 months ago #36258

wow frank and gail,its better than when it was built new,fantastic upholstry job and nice clean wiring job.john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:New project - tiny travel trailer 12 years 8 months ago #36275

Essentially took 1 and 1/2 days to get the scissor jacks mounted. Lot of figuring, metal fab, dozens of precise match-up holes in steel, then today was just getting new hardware on with nyloks. Time for a break!

See ya soon John, sure looking forward to it. Happy July 4th!

Frank

Re:New project - tiny travel trailer 12 years 8 months ago #36287

me too frank,and happy fourth to yoy all too.

---Mark Twain

Re:New project - tiny travel trailer 12 years 8 months ago #36289

With my new jacks on I can work on the interior remodel.

I tore the interior covers off the wheel wells because they were elevated such that a small open storage place was on the top of both of them.

Handy, but had to go away as these will be part of the bed base soon. I think I need more 3/4" plywood. These need to get faced with something more substantial than 1/4" stuff.

Done for the night!

Frank
Attachments:

Temporary bed is done! 12 years 8 months ago #36775

Just finished, all done in 3/4" AB grade oak plywood. Part of the support is a reconstruction of the wheel well covers with pieces of 3/4 plywood. Gail got the cushions done last night. You can see there are narrow and wider ones. The narrow ones will be seat bases, the wider ones seat backs (some day). Still need to get a couple coats of Minwax on the oak.

Now it's one to rebuilding the walls back where I tore carpet off. I have 1/4" good birch plywood for that, then it's a couple shelves from 1/2" good birch plywood. Hope to be done by tomorrow so I can play with metal and get my propane tank strapped on.

Hope you're all doing well!

Frank

Re:Temporary bed is done! 12 years 8 months ago #36776

Look's good.

Re:New project - tiny travel trailer 12 years 8 months ago #36938

She's coming along GREAT Frank!

Bob

Re:New project - tiny travel trailer 12 years 8 months ago #36940

Thanks guys!

Back at it today (before & after a family picnic), ready to assemble tomorrow. Need to be done by Tuesday morning, earlier would be better. 1st phase pics soon.

Frank

Re:New project - tiny travel trailer 12 years 8 months ago #36959

Very nice, looks awesome!

Bob

Re:New project - tiny travel trailer 12 years 8 months ago #37060

Pretty much ready to go tomorrow, still have a few things to do that will have to get done in the morning. Took a while to figure out how to mount the propane tank, but it's done!

Re:New project - tiny travel trailer 12 years 8 months ago #37071

Nicely done Frank. Very functional and easy to get in and out.

Bob

Re:New project - tiny travel trailer 12 years 8 months ago #37101

Thanks Bob, did good, now a few more thing this a.m., then load up and hit the road!

Frank

Re:New project - tiny travel trailer 12 years 8 months ago #37103

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
"tiny" is looking good now Frank, nice job. Enjoy your vacation buddy!

Mark

Re: Success! 12 years 8 months ago #37705

Frank,

One question: how are you going to tow the boat and the trailer at the same time?

Ken

Hello, World!!

Re: Success! 12 years 8 months ago #37706

Whoops, make it into a sea camper.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)