Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Poof..it's winter...

Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #20763

• houston
  • houston's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Sorry no pics but...I don't think I'll need them...

so I got up rather late, after finding my vent hose for my Cpap machine went fungiy, lets say I was up rather later swapping out the hose and cleaning the one I normally us...then I decided to make a "hose snuggly" which half way into that my old trusty Glue gun went up in flames...IN FLAMES, which ok your sitting at you trusty corner computer desk with a glue gun and some fabric...and the glue gun goes in to toast mode...and it next to your tower...what yea do.

well I unplugged it, which didn't put out the fire but tossing it in my coffee mug did...

ok it was bed time...

I wake up...and it a field of white...let me see December 1st...snow..ok, dear Mr. Gore....so I kind of procrastinated going out thinking about having to deal with the blower and before I steped into it I all ready decided it didn't look that deep soooo I think I will just use the pusher shovel.

ever hear of Hart Attack Snow? well this fit just into that 1 or 2 inches and 99% wet with a lower layer of slush to boot....

so I headed to the garage after giving my honest attempt of using the pusher shovel and I gased up old betsey and proceeded to do the drive way and walk....which every know and then the heavy slush pack up the discharge shoot, which caused me to have to carry a clean out stick which was an old broken rake handle, I am reminded to use this by a picture of genny dear old Uncle Steve who loped of the tip of his thumb and his four fingers clearing out his small blower, looking at mine and it's 14 inch shoot I would be afraid to use my hand to clear it figuring some where some how it would take me up to my elbow....

so...last pass on the driveway Sam comes out to tell me the power was out, which this just filled me with joy...and dread giving the heavy rains from yesterday and over night, all that and then some should be hitting the sub pump in the basement...right about now.

pick my head lamp and headed down the basement which by the time i reach the cement floor it died, so back up to get my coleman lantern from the camping gear and...my battery tester which I had now clue why I picked that up it just seemed like a habit.

got down in the basement which was still dry, and to the sub pump with the debris screen on top I checked the level in the pump and it was...just about...to the top! so I saw the modified hand bilge pump hanging on the wall next to it so I added that...and the 5 gallon bucket is how I must have handled this...weird but ok.

I opened up the screen..inserted hand pump...filled bucket, got the bucket filled and I seriously tried to remember now what..so I dumped it into the deep sink think that if I fill that up I will figure something else out...like the washing machine!

well I quickly found out why I shouldn't dump 5 gallon buckets into the deep sink when the power is out because we have a "lift" pump on the deep sink that is ran on electric and with no power all the water in the sink comes pouring out of a vent tube under sink. watching all my "gain" in the lowered level of the sub pump refilling itself and the wet floor I quickly realized I was losing ground as if...I havn't started at all.

so I kind of just sat there looking up I saw the out side water supply and I kind of drew a picture of if I wanted to run the fish tank fill and drain line out doors how would I work it and next to it I saw the dryer vent, well with a good thump it was off and laying on the floor and I could see day light, so off to get my fish tank fill and drain line.

got the line...ran it out doors to the faucet..turned it on and went back down in the basement to set the "pick-up" in the sub pump, turned the line valve on and I could see the level in the sub pump dropping..

right about here sam was in the door way telling me that genny was on the phone so I went up stairs to talk to her. first thing she asked was if I energized the inverter before I plugged in the sub pump to which I really had to wonder if her cheese slid off her cracker and I was like really can you give me a clue what it is your talking about...but it ok I got the siphon fish tank line hooked up working out doors...keeping a good low level in the sub pump hole....

well this is where she tells me to go back down stairs and look on the wall, which I said I looked on the wall and there was the bilge pump from the boat what there to see...and she said look on the wall...when you see it you will remember..which I said ok and headed back down in to the basement and right back to where I was...looking around on the wall it kind of hit me and I could hear her saying...you remember the inverter you mounted...and walla there it was. looking at the wire feeds for it...where the BATTERY'S to run it...and on top of one sat my Battery tester.

so lest to say..I kind of remembered the inverter but still forgot about it, but in the long run...my inpompto pump worked and the basement didn't flood

well I havn't heard from the folks out back yet, but you can see where there is snow..and then you can see where the siphon was tossing out the water....and I just got one of those feeling someone an't gonna be to happy...

oh, the battery tester, I used it...and the battery's where so low it wouldn't trip the inverter after all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #20768

darn mark i thought that stuff only happened to me,lol,im glad your back,ilove your stories,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #20782

i've never laughed so much in years. it's a great way to start a day. keep em coming mark, adds a lot of life to this forum that was originally created because of us and a few others, back when a lot of people wanted nbr stuff banned. hehe...ron

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #20792

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
well...I forgot telling genny don't put a tire off the driveway, on my last pass with the blower the right drive tire on the blower went off the drive way and the whole blower tipped as it turned into a rotertler I stopped it right away but it shot ...nothing but mud for about 20 feet.

now CC, I been reading today seems to have had an interesting night with (what we call) thunder-snow...that shut down the NY state thruway.

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #20794

darn mark,lorraine and i are still laughing,i had to send your story to some of my friends,its funny ,i dont care who ya are,lol.john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21055

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
...ever see someone from Florida enjoying snow...?

well, that happen during my little nightmare, are new next door neighbors moved in late summer and both are from Florida and let me tell yea they where all that and then some about our little snow storm, then of course I lost track off them during the 4 hour power outage but I think it was enough to snap them into reality.

so yesterday I bump into the still fairly tan fellow next door and he asked about our weather they where calling and I told him that it was rather important for him to watch the wind direction and not the storm itself and he looked at me with this wondering wide eye mouth just slightly open...and I told him if the storm and the wind is coming out of the west, which is normal would be a division snow and if the storm is counter rotating and the wind is coming out of the south east from up yonder in ol-canada that would be a multiply snow...

and he just looked at me and ask there is a difference in a snow storm, and I told him well kind of but it more in the weather reports themselves...and he again just had that look like I just smacked him, so I said look....if the storm is coming out of the west from buffalo the southern tier will be effected and we can sit her and watch it pass by from the back yard, I call them snow storms for the Back yard...and serious sometime you can fire up the grill and watch the dark clouds pass to our south and the secondary's passing over the lake to our north. about here he was asking...which way is north and which way is south, which I had to remind him, your back yard faces south and your front yard faces the lake...which the lake is north and you can take the forecast and divide what they are calling for just about in half, so if they are calling for an inch or two you can expect a fairly lite dusting of broom snow which is no big deal.

now if the storm is from the west and is head north-by-north east that's an even snow storm which is your basic over all front yard and backyard and what they are calling for is what you can expect which runs anywhere from 4 to 6 inches in a 12 hour period and they will break a storm in to -x- amount per A.M. and -x- amount per P.M., and he looked at me and asked...aaaa so if your talking a 24 hour period it like a FOOT? and I watched is tan grow dimmer as he kind of began to get a little pale, which he kind of hesitantly asked ....ok so there is divisional snow storms, and equal snow storms what was the multiply snow storm you mention. and I explained to him that a multiply snow storm is a very slow moving counter rotating lows that come up the east seaboard and get hauled up in to Canada and then they hook around and come back down across the lake and basically bury us. which now I swear on my last volume of the three stooges he lost his tan right there in the street, and I told him if they forecast a foot or so of snow again your gonna have to watch the split but let say they say for the A.M they call for 6 to 12 inches you would just double that and expect a foot or two. this is where he again quickly does some of his fancy math and asks if it was over a period of 24 hours your talking 2 to 4 FEET and I said "yupp but you also have to take in to account the compression factor also which he now had this wide eye curiosity looked as if his next question would be the need to know where the closes U-haul dealer would be and he said "the compression factor"? and I told him yea the compression factor, which is snow will only pile up so high before it starts to compress into it self which is usually cheek to calf to put it politely but the lower layers melt which is how you get water into the water table so normally the snow "depth" is about to the calf, and he look at me and said "ok, how tall is a baby cow"? and I just looked at him with one closed eye shaking head, and said "huh, baby cow na your knee...your leg...calf and now he had to ask laughing so now I am afraid you said about the deepest it gets is up to your cheek and I said yea and it will compress down to the calf..you know about knee high and he just looked like he was trying to add it up again and he looked at me and said so the cheek, so I would have a problem looking over this walking...and I said well yea if it's a blizzard with the drifts but it normally doesn't get up past your cheek which if you have a good pair of carharts and you pick away at it it doesn't normal get much over your knee because it compresses down, which that really starts to be noticed in late January early February...and he asked so why not just say chin to shin, and I looked at him and said well your chin is to deep and your shin ain't deep enough...and he said but you said cheek and I just kind of looked at him and realized I really lost this guy about a mile into this five mile conversation....and I told him ok...look, the snow normally will only be up to your butt and when it gets that deep it tends to compress down to around you knee...and I swear his tan looked like it was trying to back, and I added that why it kind of important what you have a pusher or a scoop, a scoop good for the trunk and a pusher is ok for around the house which again his tan began to fade and I told him if it gets to bad not to worry about it because I also have a blower which is allot better than either of the other two but your gonna wanna watch your handles the bent handle pushers seem to be the what people use around this area

and he just looked at me with this faint look in his eye, and I just laughed and told him don't worry about the snow, as long as you have a shovel for the lite stuff...I got a snow blower for the heavy stuff when it get bad and it no problem....

you know his tan again seemed to be coming back.....

so today, I went out with my bent handle pusher just to do the side walk, and he is standing on his porch, and he asked well what is this...

and I told him well this is gonna be a mutiply, see this all ready on my side walk...that what they have said should be on my walk tomarrow in the mourning...

and he looked at me and asked, you going to need any gas...and I just looked at him and said naa but I be over about 5 or so so I'm sorry if I end up waking you up...

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21064

my god......that would of took me over an hour to type. :laugh: you forgot to tell him about re-curring snow!

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21125

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
well I was afraid of over whelming him and his tan, giving the way the week has started, believe it or not I heard a shovel about 4 am and sure enough mr. tan was in his glory shoveling his drive way....

I let our go till about 1 Pm

about then he came home for lunch as I was getting done turning our driveway in to a runway...winter = wide with everything that gets tossed goes to the west side of the drive way which is my impromptu drift brake, which the drifts can get a bit hairy sometimes.

well Mr.tan couldn't help but again to say wow...man that was something last night...

and I said yup that was the AM snow, everything I all ready have done here will be buried again tonight...and in the mourning there will even be more...

and he said, "again"?

and I told him well yea it all in the splits, it going to be like this till Wednesday and we'll get a day off out of it maybe and this weekend late friday it will really kick in high winds, snow regular Dorthy kind of stuff

and mr tan got a little pail looking like he was about to go to u-haul...and I asked him if he liked BTO...and he said who...and I slowly had to say Bachman–Turner Overdrive....and he said oh yea I heard some of what they made...which I just started singing....

ok ok I didn't sing the whole song but...he asked

regular Dorthy kind of stuff?

and I said yea, you know get toto in the house and take a trip on out to wiz land just to get away from the blizzard....

I think he just may try and melt the snow with his tan, or he maybe looking for U-haul.

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21148

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
well here is an example in the making...when this all started they called for 6 to 12...

here is what it was when the black out happen on the 3rd

on the fourth we got a brake in to the early AM of the 5th

then the lake machine kicked in...

note how the animals are cutting there own trail in the back yard, I well probably run the blower in the back yard to open up there network.

here is the tally so far, late am on the 5th this started, these where taking mid afternoon on the 7th they where calling for a total of 6 to 12....

dropped a tape, we have a little over 20.
Attachments:

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21152

what year was that?

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21155

lol,ron thats today,even here in western pa its crappy,staying in the 20s,but not as much snow as as mark

---Mark Twain

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21168

WOW...I HAD NO IDEA.......

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21181

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Ya, ron...from early Monday A.M. to Tuesday afternoon, my best "guess" is 36 hours give or take...

haven't seen Mr. Tan today but then again...U-haul is just around the Corner.

and this may come to a shock, but CC can tell yea when Buffalo has a "snow event" as Rochester has, we normally get an inch or so an hour when it is coming off the lake.

Now if any one heard south Buffalo had a snow event back when we had our black out, what is the chief cause in that case again is the wind direction and what ever is down wind from Niagara Falls. The Mist from the falls if it is not frozen over gets picked up in the wind and dumps the mist as snow, just like a giant snow making machine at a ski resort, that why I like it colder than normal get the lake frozen and it stops the lake effect...if the lake doesn't freeze over when the winds out of Canada pick up it get a hold of that lake moisture and wallah.
Attachments:

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21186

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

just to note, my 15 horse snow blower will throw snow about 30 feet as you can see in this picture, this is after I tossed the the driveway, but if there is a significant event I will run the blower up and down the driveway with the defector aimed at the west side of the drive or at least next to the blower as I work across the drive way the 3 or 4 passes it takes putting everything that was in the drive way in a rather nice BANK next to it and not in the yard next door

this snow bank is used to break the wind which causes drifts across the drive way, add to the drifts the fill from the street plow and the accumulating snow...it can become a little bit to manage.

the weather reports I am getting on my computer right this minute have this has this "snow event lasting till Thursday AM, yea either gotta love it or...

***edited***

Keywords to look at in the weather reports here:

Lake Effect: is pop up bands of snow coming off the lake, which is really hit or miss, if you got it..you got it if you didn't you will...

Lake Snow: that's the big stuff that we just had Monday and Tuesday.

Now Monday and Tuesday where "Lake Snow" which they included today and tomorrow in to the "event" but as "Lake effect" not "lake Snow" which as far as our "event" goes I used a shop broom to sweep off the driveway this mourning and not the blower or the shovel but we still got 2 more inches of snow which will be the blowing drifting snow come Friday which is then the next "event"
Attachments:

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21204

hey mark is it still snowing up there. hehe..man icould make some good $ up there with the loader. ron

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21226

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
well right now we're just getting lake effect which is basically broom snow, by what they are saying which changes a bit is tomorrow late in to the pm, Friday AM it will...ahem RAIN...and then change into SNOW with high winds.

NEXT LESSON: how to shovel your roof....yes I am going to pull shovel the roof with a roof rake tomorrow to lighten it up.

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21235

Yea, I know you guys get hit hard over there. We knew some friends that lived in Calidonia,NY (sp)
We are inland enough (in Mich) that we don't get much lake effect snow. Mostley the folks on the west side get hit the hardest here. If the wind is blowing strong and from the west we get Lk effect. Of coarse we get our share of snow from reg. storms that come through. North central MI.
Nothing much this season yet. B)
Attachments:

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21265

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
well...yea but you guys get those below zero temps that make 32 feel tropical...

we dipped in to the single digits last night which is a good thing because "normally" as with last night it will stall the lake effect, we may see the clouds (on radar) but they just won't produce allot of moisture (snow) got 1 to 2 last night and the forecast for the Dorthy storm which looks to be tracking to your south seems to have been pushed back...

current problem is it is to cold to start the blower (+9), dropping a light heater on it and putting under a blanket problem is...ever hear of an incandescent light bulb, can't find one of those antics anywhere in the house

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21268

i've had no luck with those new fluorescent flood lights. they take forever to brighten up, the dimmer doesn't work with them, and they last about 4 months. :angry: i'm goin back to the old reliables. ron

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21296

Yep, can't use a dimmer and they don't seem to last as long in or outdoors. Better get some old incandecent before they quit making them.

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21309

yep..here in jersey they're outlawing lawn fertilizer's that are high in nitrogen do to weed infestation of our lakes . i'm buying several bags while there still out there.

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21413

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
well been kind of "under-the weather" in more ways than one...

Roof raking error!

Went down into the Basement and got the rods and the roof rake, just to go out doors to find very little snow on the roof and an an usually amount of ice hanging off the house, looked around at the other houses and they still had a far share up on the roof so I kind of trudge back in with the rake in hand trying to figure out where all my snow went.

off and on back and forth out to the garage while making a "dog-house" for the blower to sit in for it can thaw out when I am not using it, I kind of had a duh moment.

My duh moment was simply remembering I reinstalled what I refer to as a high temp exhaust blower in the attic and a down draft blower into the basement via the ceiling of the basement stairs which I never really got around to installing the "trap-door" to seal it off when not in use.

the purpose of the down draft blower is to supply a high flow of warm dry air in to the basement to help keep it dry late spring and fall, worked out excellent keeping the basement totally dry blasting out the stag air (out the basement vents) and pushing in the fresh.

well I tend to I get to that when I need to get to that and it just never seemed I had to get to that, till I noticed all my snow was gone and my gutters where full of ice and these really huge icicles where hang off the gutters and also running down the side of the house....one is conveniently in casing the doorbell switch in a inch thick of ice.

so the oh hell light went off in my head, not only didn't I put in the "trap-door" for the blower to seal off the attic, but also the drop down stairs insulator was not in place and the doors blanket not on, the attic was getting a fair share of unnecessary heat, but honestly what you would think of as heat wasn't really noticeable first floor heat, rather the colder basement but it was enough.

the snow blower dog house:

took some of the r42 aluminum bubble sheets and made a three side box that can be placed of the top of the blower with a back panel that goes up against the back, it is "heated" with a w60 light bulb that keeps this box warm enough to dry out the blower and melts all the snow that is in it or on it. no more problem starting it.

Sam...got a cold, and the germ seems to no longer like her has much as it is liking me, which I just may go out and sleep in the doghouse with the blower to confuse the bug for it will leave me alone

The back yard now looks like Daytona, with a outside pit row which the mutts seem to know what for racing around and what is for...pitting, makes tending to the winter accumulation clean up in spring allot easier.

new storm again coming in Sunday PM was expected tonight....as RAIN and turning in to lake snow Monday and Tuesday and yea again the weather guys are talking 6 to 12, will post some pic tomorrow depending on how I feel.

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21418

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Sorry to hear about your "duh" moment, I KNOW how those feel. Hope you get to feeling better soon, Mark.

Mark

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21422

boy sure getting your share of snow early in the year. wonder when we're gunna get hit.

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21430

we are going to get it tnight through tuesday,first rain tonight,then freezing rain tomorrow,then about 1 pm all snow,its nice today,the calm before the storm,and i need to get the jet deville out of the garage,and put the terramite mini back hoe in the garage,so when its cold and i need it i can throw a tarp over it and use a oil filled radiator heater to warm the motor up.the hard part is i have the flu ,but i still need to do it,plus cover the deville as best i can,i dont want to have to dry it out all over again in the spring.
also while the back hoe is in the garage i need to change ahose on it,and weld some extra chain to the tire chains,now it just goes between the treads,and is usless,last year i was headed up the road to clear out for my mailbox,and all of a sudden i was going back down hill,lol,kinda scary,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21476

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
well we had this same exact kind of time line I think back in 99 (little fuzzy on the exact year) but we got a heavy snow that no sooner did we recover from that this thing they call an inverted high gets pushed up under a low like a bubble and causes a rain storm during winter...which it is still not officially winter YET but...

it was rather funny what happen the rain poured for about three or four hours and pretty well collapsed the snow cover from the previous storm..then the "blizzard" it rather quickly in the cover of night as the high went back where it should have been and what was rain turned to to sleet for a while then to snow when it was all said and done we had about three feet of standing snow which basically put us right back where we started but at zero if not better for temp

the problem was the odd and funny part, under all that snow at the ground layer was this layer about 2 inches think of this slush that the snow was hiding, when you hit it with a blower it would fly out and freeze in the air and on anything it came into contact with, under a blower a shine of ice would appear like a Zamboni at a hockey rink passed over it instead of a snow blower which quickly made the blower useless if it wasn't getting traction and it was getting covered in ice on all it moving parts.

the state plow trucks where even better, they would plow along till the hit an area of slush and code 9 in to the median plowing as they went or off the shoulder and down embankments. the Army reserve pulled out the big guns to help out using a 5 axle 12 wheel tank recovery truck with two steer axle and all wheel drive. if you left something on the high way car, truck, or semi this thing would just plow by it wrap a chain around the front axle and drag it off to the shoulder and unhook from it and keep going. a couple of rounds with this thing made real quick work of opening the highways which took about a day or so.

as it stands right now, this storm as all the making of what that storm was, and you can't pre-salt because the rain will just wash it all away, and the new "plum" juice they are using.

got a funny feeling they are going to have to pass a new law making it illegal to lick park cars, somewhere, somehow, someone going to try and get "plum-drunk" giving a car a free lick wash.

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21479

We got 6-12" coming. So far no rain. Snow blower and shovel ready in that order. I got a nice venison roast ready for the oven for Sunday's dinner. The bird feeders are all full too.
Still waiting for good safe ice for fishing. Shanty is all ready to go. B) Boats are all put away.

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21484

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
my mistake, it not plum Juice, it is "Beet Juice" that they are mixing with the salt...should make the salt...brown they say.

anyone remember when they use to use Coal Cinders and every car would become grey... Beet juice road deicer , with the added salt a car just may be good eating.

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21541

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
as of about 6...

all of our 20+ inches of snow is just about a memory, been watching the radar on the underground and the wind is coming in from the south west and is heading..North East..Great for Toronto and Belleville Canada.

Now there as not been one weatherman yet pleading on camera about not killing the messenger but giving the wind direction this is not going to be a Big lake storm for us at least not until the wind starts head south off the lake....but for us north of the thruway it looks to be a broom snow kind of brake out the BBQ and watch the clouds roll by...or maybe a leaf blower.

hears a project...

A solar furnace made out of soup cans that would be welded together using durafix, hum looks like if I could make three of these the furnace just may stay OFF during the day. got the Idea from a youtube video where a guy used soda pop cans and that he glued together using high temp mortar cement, which is toxic when heated. at first I went through the trouble of opening up one soda can which I actually had to poke and poke with the can opener to remove the top just to find they DO-NOT sit square on top of each other where 10.5 oz soup cans have a pull top and they do stack firmly on top of each other just remove the label, stack in the dish washer...wash..dry drill some holes and weld together. add some 12 volt fans and a dampener and walla, well of course a wood frame, some black paint and a piece of Plexiglas.

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21574

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
here is a current example of the crazy weather we have here in Rochester and not Buffalo, where as it can snow in buffalo and we may not get anything from that but the southern tier will...

Our weather factor starts a little over 1500 miles away, if the wind direction is coming from about 350 degrees relative, or if you know just where about South Hampton Canada is...

you will see currently the "big storm" passed right over us and just gave us a dusting of broom snow about shoe sole deep and now we have +14 degree temp from the +40 degrees we had yesterday.

Turning on the radar you can see the Lake effect happening everywhere!

But what just passed over us, will get sucked up into Canada into a collapsing comma and get hung in to the "South Hampton" troth which will force all the remainder of the "big storm" and then some directly into Rochester as "Lake Snow" tonight, tomorrow and into Wednesday.

depending on how wide the South Hampton troth is will been seen in the accumulation of snow in Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse which unofficially have a "who got the most" every year.

Saw Mr. Tan..who was...aaaaa that was a big Storm? and I had to tell him...well kind of it will be back.
Attachments:

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21580

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
hehehe the sky is falling...the sky is falling hehehehe

na that's just ...Freezing FOG +13 going down to +9....by 8 AM

Any one know why CC is in the hospital or why he is having an operation?
Attachments:

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21581

yep its gettin sucked right into the south hampton troth....just watch the radar.

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21585

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Just checked wounder Ground..just because, well I let the dogs out and they came back in looking like they should have been hooked up to a sled.

Just got off the phone with CC's wife:

seems CC got a "bill Cosby" back when BC was a kid he picked up a manhole cover...remember?

He had to have an operation today, where after the operation he tended to over stay his welcome in the post recovery (as in he was really knocked out and enjoying his time out).

he is home and seem to be resting well after he took his LALA pain meds....

she said something about having to craw in to the driver side window because the door on the blazer was broking, all's I can think of is Daisey duke getting into the General Lee.....
Attachments:

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21586

We only got about 5" of wet snow then about 3" of dry snow. Cleaned the wet snow off before the dry stuff came. It was easyer to clean the cars off later
Too much junk to put car in garage. Generator, Snowblower. Plus all of my marine and electronic supplies. "Man Cave" B)

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21587

mark, i can't read between the lines. what happened to him? ron

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21616

Epic thread here...haven't even gotten through the whole thing yet...you can tell a story there H.

I had a little umbilical hernia surgery...everything came out fine. I even have some reinforcement mesh in there. Not sure if it's fiber or Kevlar. Either way...better than new.

Just getting the cobwebs out now. Was kind of out of it yesterday.

I'll just be laying back and recovering for a while.

Thanks to wifey for taking care of me...:)

Thanks to my friends here for your concern...:)

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21622

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Houston-

I like the 'furnace' idea....

I've got a south facing garage door in my walkout basement- It's where my studio is, and where some of my boats hang out. It's a 'semi finished' basement, and when I moved in, it wasn't heated. When I did my renovations, I tapped into the ductwork for the first floor HVAC, and it works fine, but I'm cheap and always looking for ways around using the furnace :)

I installed a solar door over the garage door- and in the winter, I'll open the garage door to let the sun in. In a matter of a few hours, it heats the space up to a nice working temp, about 60 degrees or so, even on the coldest days... The cement slab in front of the door heats up as well, and radiates heat for a few hours after the sun goes down. It actually stays pretty nice down there!

I was thinking about installing something like your furnace down there to collect the sun's rays, and keep it warmer into the night... Now you've got me thinking again!

-Andrew

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21624

dave,im glad your feeling good,hang in there buddy,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21648

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
well, we are at 40.8 inches for the month of December...according to what they have out at the airport (which is mostly...pretty close to what we get), we are 3 miles away.

told yea Dave did a Bill Cosby, havent yea ever heard him talk about lifting up the manhole cover in front of fat albert?

OM MY GOD...I gotta go pluck out the large batch of grey that just pop out in my beard.

Re:Poof..it's winter... 13 years 3 months ago #21662

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
well yea all scared me so I put the © symbol on my profile picture...

speaking of which who know how to enter the IPTC information in a picture for there picture is...really copy written and you have "ownership" of it..

here I will show you with one of my "works of art"

I do repaints for FSX (and other simulators)and in them you need a "thumbnail" image for the display of your model which is nice if the thumbnail image is of the repaint that was done.

this is my helicopter and this is how one can have ownership of his (or her) image.
click on image to enlarge
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.715 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)