Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.

TOPIC: garage demo about a week away....

garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 5 months ago #19004

• vuyosevich
  • vuyosevich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
got a guy coming to demo the old 20x20 garage for $2,400, including the 40 yd. container. its rotting all around the bottom. i'm re-building to 20x30 with a 2nd floor if the town approves. got a great price from amish builders in pennsylvania. about 40% less than the lowest estimate i received localy. they're pouring a monolithic slab (first i heard of it)of 4000 lb. fiber reinforced concrete 6" thick. the perimeter will be 12"x12" with 1/2" rebar. no need to go down 3ft. to the frost line. it saves me a ton of money. local mason wanted 10k for the foundation alone. mono slab $4400. i applied for a line of credit in 2004. i have enough left to cover the cost of the project, and at 1.75% i'm nuts not to take it. if the town says no i'll scale it down to what they'll allow. ron
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 5 months ago #19066

I can't wait to see where you put those few things that are inside Ron. :laugh:

Frank

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 5 months ago #19071

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice to have the buildable area like that. My backyard is so hilly, it would cost ten grand to re-grade the driveway, just to have enough flat area to build on...
I've had contractors come by and scratch their heads and say "you wanna build here?"

Are you getting the concrete poured before the ground freezes? What kind of time frame to have the new structure wethertite?

Hope all goes smoothly!

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 5 months ago #19072

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm happy for ya Ron, that's going to be nice when it's done. (Whichever size it turns out to be.) Be sure to throw some pics our way as it's going up, okay. The Amish have a great reputation for doing stuff at a very fair price, and I've never heard ANYONE complain about their workmanship. ;)

Mark

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 5 months ago #19075

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
frank, thats an understatement. :lol:
jim, they say as long as theres no frost below 12" at the time of the pour there will be no problem. they say they have done hundreds of these in pennsy which is even a colder area. they give a 6 year guarantee on the monolithic foundation. you can't get a guarantee on masonary work in north jersey from anyone. as far as the garage build, they work right through the winter. they're some tough people.
mark, will post pic's throughout the build.

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 5 months ago #19078

good for you ron,i miss being a carpenter/contractor except working outside all through the winter,ewww,but then 90 degree days wernt much fun either,lol.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 5 months ago #19433

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
wouldn't you know it. i've been dickin around with this garage build for 2 months. i finally got my lot coverage survey today. i fill out my permit and haul a-- down to the building dept. and they're closed. :angry: veterans day. now tomorrow i got dialysis, sat. and sun. they're closed, monday dialysis. so now i got to wait till next tuesday to get it approved (i hope), another wasted week. in our town your allowed up to 40% lot coverage. i just made it with 38%, so says the surveyor. we'll see. ron

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 5 months ago #19560

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
found out today that the allowed lot coverage was increased to 60% a few years ago. now i'm well under the max. :)

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 5 months ago #19587

great ron,im happy for you,but you should live out in the country like i do,5 dollar permits and no inspectors to tell me how to build.here is the porch we (mostly my father in law ,because of my health)built this year,just 5 bucks in a permit.
if i want to build a building all ove all 9acres ,its all good.
heck to build the foundation for the house was only 10 bucks.
Attachments:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 5 months ago #19656

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i know john in pennsy where i'm at no permit is needed at all for 399 square feet and under.

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 5 months ago #19668

darn,if i had known that i could have built the house 399 sq.ft. at a time and saved 10 bucks,lol
but ll kidding aside ,i heard they are going to make things so strict that only the rich around here will be able to build a house.
they just put in a 1.6 milloin dollar log home up above us,with an elevator.
but they are going to give my bro in law a hard time if he decides to put in a manufactured home,and all of this land was once him and my wifes grandfathers farm.

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 5 months ago #19908

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
well after a delay do to the size of the roof trusses , i applied for the permit today. hopefully will have it in a few days. then it will take a day to empty it, then i'll bring in the demo man. when he's done i can dig out the blacktop floor with my loader. then the builders come in and pour the slab. ron

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 5 months ago #19916

boy ron,im glad you got things straightened up with the trusses.and are getting ready to pour.
by the way remember that 1.6 million dollar log home they just built?well now the close neighbors (my inlaws included)to it are having electrical problems,like flickering lights,i think its a huge drain on what the power supply is,because this was all just farmland,and they havent upgraded the electrical here for that yet.

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 5 months ago #19919

vuyosevich wrote:

well after a delay do to the size of the roof trusses , i applied for the permit today. hopefully will have it in a few days. then it will take a day to empty it, then i'll bring in the demo man. when he's done i can dig out the blacktop floor with my loader. then the builders come in and pour the slab. ron

Good for you Ron! Finally!

Frank

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 5 months ago #19946

Hi Ron,
Glad to hear you are getting a new building built for yourself.
We live right in the middle of Amish country here in Central Mich.
There isn't a day go by that I don't see them around here doing there daily chores. :)

Lots of services they offer. From furniture making, baked goods lumber mills, fresh turkeys to custom canvas work.
Good luck with your new building.

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20134

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Sounds good Ron. I like the look of your current garage. Good luck with everything. I will keep an eye on this, Mike

PS...John, that sucks about that million $ home, They should have kept the land... :angry:

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20183

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
now i'm just waiting for the permit to start the demolition. demo started out at $2,400. then$1,500...and the last guy will do it for $900. if i help him with my tractor loader. the company wants to pour the mono slab the week of the 29th. hopefully this will be comnpleted before christmas. ron

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20191

ron thats great,and i emailed you back about the trusses is it a 2 door garage?
the trusses look good but im pretty sure they are built just for storage above,are you planing on useing it for anything else?if so you might want a beam down the center,which would put at least 1 post jack in the center of your garage,two would be better,it just depends on what you are going to use the space above the garage for,john

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20210

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
just storage john...it will have a 16'x7" garage door, plus a 36" side entry steel door. both with window glass. ron

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20629

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
well the town knocked me down. max height for a detached garage is 15'.
so i guess i'm going to have to scratch the 2nd floor...dammit..this town sucks. they couldn't have told me that up front. i told them from the beginning the height was 17'. ron

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20630

Can't you get a variance Ron? That's what variances are for!

You need me to come down there and knock some sense into those tiny municipal heads?!? Sheeesh!

Frank

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20632

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
$200 application fee and $1,000-$1,200 for the 2 boards to review them. i'm not spending any more money.

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20638

WOW! Gee willikers Ron, sumpin ain't right in Joisey...

Frank

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20639

ron if your outside walls are going to be 8 feet,that still gives you 7 feet to play with for the 2nd floor,now the inside you wont be able to stand all the way up,but at least you will have storage,by the way your contractor should have looked into this for you,its his job to get the permits.at least around here he does.john

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20659

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
john, i accepted the responsibility for the permits as the general contractor. at 15' you have to subract the room the truss takes up at the top. would a gambrel roof give me more room to suffice the extra cost?

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20667

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
waiting for the the cost of a gambrel style roof versus the original one. ron

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20674

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
bank will make NO concessions (only apologies) for there error. so hear i sit with 50k payable back over 5 yrs instead of the 10 as i requested. talkin to other banks...stay tuned.

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20682

Build her anyway! Let them measure the height. Say, well I got 15'
Them bone heads ain't got nothing else to do. I don't think they are going up on a ladder to measure. :angry:

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20684

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i can't take that chance because i signed the permit application attesting to the building measurements. i know of 1 place in town where people had to demolish the building because they didn't stay 3.5' off the property line. they told me i could seek a variance but the fees are $1200-$1500 dollars and it doesn't guaranteee that i would get it. registered mail notices have to be sent out to anyones property within 200' of my proposed garage. in my case thats 11 neighbors. all it takes is one to object and its squashed. i'm not gambling $1,500. on that. i'll build the 20'x30' with a 15' peak. it will give me a loft but not something i can stand up in.

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20685

It's too bad Ron, but I think ya got the right attitude. Once she's built, you'll be a happy dude.

Good luck!

Frank

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20700

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
The less it cost's to build the happier you should be. Dig a under ground room basement below the thing, that'll show them, lol....Mike

If its not too late perhaps your current garage can be salvaged?

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20701

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
nah. will build the 30x20 with a loft. then next year i'll sneak in a 12x16 shed.

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20702

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Good idea! I like sheds...I poured a 12x16 slab last year in the back for a shed. I did all the labor my self untill the concrete pumper came. They poured my slab and finished it. In all the slab was a $998 total cost. I think it was 6 yards of cement with over kill footings, Mike

ps, nice thread....

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20728

ron,a gambrel roof will give you more floor space,but at 30 foot wide it might get too high,as the sides go straighter up,and the top will have about a 30 degree slope,here is a site of barn plans ,check it out,ive been out of the bussiness a long time,lol,and believe it or not of all the houses that i built,not one was a gambrel design,but now i have one in my yard with the garage i bought.
its tough not being able to build much anymore,because of my heart,now i have to buy alot all ready done,lol.
for years a built others new homes ,and now i have to rely on others,thank goodness for ed and my father in law,lol,or there wouldnt be a front porch on here,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20738

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
john, the builder told me he is sending new plans to conform to the 15' height. he says it will have a 5/12 pitch instead of the 8/12. do you know if that pitch over the 30' width will make it 15' high. ron

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20770

ronwith an 8'wall,a 5/12 pitch will give you an 80"rise,or about 6' 6",at 22.60 degrees so that shold give you 171"(14.5')around 14' 6".plus add the truss perlin of 31/2 inches is 174 1/2 " or14.54 'aproxamatly 14' 6" total,thats with out a 12 inch overhang.
i will figure it out with the 12 inch over hang ,john

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20772

with a 12 inch eave it comes to(with 8 foot walls)179" including perlin height.which equals 14 foot 10 1/2 inches,if you put a ridge vent on add about 2 to 3 inches.
that should be your total height with gable trusses,john

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20781

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
wow...thanks john. one of these days you'll have to show me on paper how you figured that out. :laugh:

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #20783

heck ron,lol,i took a look at my last measurement and its off 1 inch,it should be 14foot 11 1/2 inches,you are just going to make it,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:garage demo about a week away.... 13 years 4 months ago #21423

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
update.......should have the permit monday. i'm starting to empty out the garage today. suppose to rain all day tomorrow and hit 51 degrees, then get cold again on monday.i asked the builder if he was sure that the amish would work in cold weather. he told me last year they worked 4 straight days with the temp below zero. is it possible to work outdoors in that temp? i know no one that i know of couldn't.

Time to create page: 0.358 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6140 guests and no members online