Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pondering about toilet paper.

Pondering about toilet paper. 4 years 4 weeks ago #141986

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
As some of you know I've been retired since 2004. I've spent over 38 years working in the paper industry. Started two days after mustering out or USN. 90% of that time was working on and finally in charge (Master Tech) of a huge paper making machine with a crew of 5. The type of paper we produced was “bathroom tissue” ie. TOILET PAPER along with paper napkins and paper towels.
The “run” on toilet paper, pardon the pun, is driven by panic buying. There absolutely is no shortage of TP. Keeping it on the store shelves is the problem. Warehouses are full and distribution is at peak to meet demands. Each DAY we made enough TP two ply to circumvent the entire world +. These huge machines make TP coming off the dry end at close to 70mph.
Pardon me while I chuckle.
This is the type of machine we ran back then. Check the size of that roll of TP, one of those every 14/18 minutes!

I hear that distilleries are beginning to make hand sanitizer what a waste. I've been making 190 proof hand sanitizer for years. Got the directions on how build the equipment to do this from a friend in Sweden.

On another note. Yesterday I was in my driveway painting one of my outboards and my neighbor across the street was watching his dog leave a pile. My neighbor is a full fledged doctor specializing in orthopedic surgery. We on occasion have been known to light up cigars and imbibe while sitting on the front porch. Got to talking and I assumed he was pretty busy with the virus thing. On the contrary, he says he only goes in the the hosp two hours a day to check on his previous surgery patients. All elective surgery has been canceled so that means he's not doing knees, shoulders, hips and ankles. Wants to get out of the house because his two teenage sons, one in college and one in HS are home because school has been suspended. Can't wait for warmer weather so he can get then outside raking the lawn.

One thing about retirement, you never run out of things to do. If you come close to finishing up a project the admiral will surely find something else to occupy an idle mind.

Just a few thoughts while I sit and ponder the evils of the world.....politicians.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pondering about toilet paper. 4 years 4 weeks ago #141987

I have been saying the same thing since the start of this whole thing. The only reason there are shortages of most things are because people are hoarding them. If people would buy what they need and not 6 months supply, there would be plenty. My liquor delivery job has been interesting. With all of the bars and restaurants closed, the stores have been crazy. On the beer side of the business they are having record days and are having to wait for loads that were ordered weeks ago to keep things rolling. That unfortunate event at the Miller-Coors Brewery in Milwaukee a few weeks ago backed up some loads for a week. Once all of the hoarders get overstocked, things should return closer to normal, if that is possible.
Bill

Pondering about toilet paper. 4 years 3 weeks ago #141989

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Ya Bill, one of my grandsons works for a local distributer and loads trucks at night for you fellas to deliver during the day. He says it's been nuts. On the other hand his parents, my son and daughter in law are going stir crazy, they like the bar/restaurant scene. I was always a fan of refreshing at home and not make a fool of myself in public...….well most of the time.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8516 guests and one member online