Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: flower bed????

flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109536

• bilnan1
  • bilnan1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I was just thinking what colors and kind of flowers for this landscaping,,
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109539

Hey, if it's only a flower pot to ya, I'll give ya a couple hundred for it!!

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109540

full sun...red leaf, white flower begonias

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109541

ho boy say it ant so. Bob

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109543

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I would plant a 65hp Rude on the back, some red seats, white and red seats, and a fancy steering setup, then place in water, enjoy.

April fools day is way over.
Attachments:

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109551

barnickelbill,

IF I had one, I'd PAY for you to take it AWAY. - I prefer boats that LOOK like boats, no matter how rare/desirable that that Lone Star supposedly is.
(I suspect that Meteors are rare because hardly anyone was willing to buy one in the 1950s.)

I know a fellow from Dallas that bought one of those things for about 5,000.oo, spent over 10,000 bucks restoring it & I still say that it's: UGLY, UGLY, UGLY.
(For 15K, I could have bought one of NELSON SILVA's 19 foot, custom built ATLANTICs,used, which are truly ART in fiberglass OR one of Raoul Torres' 22 foot GULF FISHERMAN hulls with all the "goodies".)

Note: I recently bid upon but didn't win (BOO HOO!) an ATLANTIC. = It brought 16,500.oo at "silent auction".

just my OPINION, satx
Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109552

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 112
Teal green, yellow, or red, with pretty little flowers!

Re: flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109554

• bilnan1
  • bilnan1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I just thought it would be fun to get responxes. this one has been ground down and now has new balsa wood floor, new transom and is now rolled over,,it will get done,, yrs back we trird to figure out how many there were left,,we were over 60 of the 3 yrs they were built,, I know that we have turned up more since,,Mot rare but when you pull in to a show it will draw a croud,I have 5 here now, Yes I can see the ugly side of it but it can also be classy Thanks Bill
Attachments:

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109555

That's one exciting flower bed. ;)

I would love to find one of these boats someday.

Nice!

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109563

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I agree with SATX. They are butt-ugly. When restored, they're like a pig in a prom gown. Julia Pastrana was also very rare. She drew crowds all the time at sideshows for the simple reason that she was so ugly. Maybe that explains crowds around Lone Stars.
Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109567

Nautilus,

I wonder if Ms. Pastrana had any attractive family members.

Lone Star made some really attractive boats BUT the Meteor just is "coyote ugly", imVho.

yours, satx
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109569

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
The Meteor looks to me like it would do a nose dive in heavy surf. Definitely a small lake boat.

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109577

Jim L wrote:

The Meteor looks to me like it would do a nose dive in heavy surf. Definitely a small lake boat.

:

can always get a snorkel kit..
Attachments:

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109578

Jim L wrote:

:

can always get a snorkel kit.. designed by houston.
Attachments:

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109579

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
LOL Ron,it would need it.I guess the boat is one of those "so ugly it's cute" deals. Not my style for sure,but to each his or her own.

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109581

• JAG
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Bill,
If you grind it up real fine you can run it through a chop gun and make a new one just like it!
JAG

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109598

How about some red lava rock, some cactus, and a little green Martian just climbing out of the boat.
:-)
doc

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109600

Hey how about Brad Lakes Corvette and 56 Meteor. That's a pretty combination.
Attachments:

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109618

I’m with you Del, It just don’t get more ClassicGlass then Brad’s complete package.

Butt ugly? In my opinion there are a bunch of pretty butts out there.
Weird yes. Ugly? Not!
Attachments:

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109619

They're gorgeous boats.

I personally think the Meteor is an awesome boat, but maybe I'm just one one of those veterans of the hobby who thinks those quirky and fantastical designs of the 50's are a big part of the allure and mystique.

Granted I've not been around here in a while but I'm just not used to seeing so much rudeness and negativity on the forum before...what happened to all the fun and excitement? Maybe some of you guys do think these boats are "ugly" and that's fine, but to throw out that word so casually might not sit too well with the people who have poured their hearts and hard-earned money into some of these rare boats. Please just keep in mind that this forum still gets heralded as the "go-to" place for all things old 'glass(although there are some fantastic other forums out there as well).

I guess I'm just old school Fiberglassics, I love all the unusual old boats and hope to see them all saved for future generations to enjoy.

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109622

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And freedom to speak either way is still a given in this country.

Because someone say that they think something is one way does not mean that they are talking down something ...just speaking towards what they like.

I Like Yellow Jackets boats and others do not.....What I hear when they say they do not like YJ is there are less people to trying to buy the ones that I am trying to get.

I do not like motors newer then 1958 and do not think people that think anything before 1960 old junk is being rude.

The problem with this country is that we are raising a bunch of thin skin people that think if you do not like something then you must keep lips seal for they do not want to hear it and you are rude if you speak the way you feel

Now telling some one that they cannot speak the way they feel is rude
CAVU

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109623

That might be a tad bit of an overreaction to my comments don't you think?

I'm not a moderator here and I never said people can't speak their minds.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean that speech is free of consequences. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but there has to be a way to get your point across without being rude. Shouldn't we want more people involved with this subject and not less? Shouldn't this forum be a welcoming place for classic boating enthusiast to mingle?

In case you missed it, this is a prime example of rudeness:

"They are butt-ugly. When restored, they're like a pig in a prom gown. Julia Pastrana was also very rare. She drew crowds all the time at sideshows for the simple reason that she was so ugly. Maybe that explains crowds around Lone Stars"

I guarantee you I'm voicing the opinion of the majority here. I just want everyone to be able to enjoy this hobby in their own way. This is a fantastic forum to mingle and discuss our boats and in my opinion it should be done in a cordial and respectful manner. As far as I know this is a forum to have fun talking about our boats - there is no war being fought here and there really shouldn't be any need for thick or thin skins.

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109632

Very well said Finfanatic! I was surprised to see those kind of comments myself. It's one thing to say "I find those boats to be kind of ugly", which simply expresses a personal opinion, than to post the statements you copied above.
I'm with you on the weird and wonderful, the more outlandish a boat the more I like it and Bill's collection has some of the best restored extreme styling examples of 50's boats that there is.
Al

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109633

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I.m afraid I have to agree with Terry, I've seen some really good butts :laugh: The older ya get the better they look.

But behind that...For some of us that have grown up in the late '40's and '50's and remember drooling over the car styles of those eras these style boats bring back memories of more pleasant times. Looking forward to each new year to see what designs Detroit came up with and being able to recite chapter and verse about every new car. Now days it's hard to tell one from another without looking for a name. Same with boats of these times 'cept for the off shores.
I believe it's all about bringing back the memories whether they are pigs with lipstick, original or sitting in the front yard filled with petunias (not porky's sweetie).
Boat makers of those days tried to emulate the automobile styles to draw in customers.
Notice any similarities here, Dodge headlights, Caddy fins and the lines of the Lone Star?
Attachments:

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109634

Garden

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109639

TallTexan,

THANKS for your comments about "thin-skinned" modern people. - Also all of the YELLOW JACKET hulls look like a BOAT & are beautiful when restored.
(I just wish that I had a place to store/display a few or a dozen YJ.)

just my OPINION, satx.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109640

OK Let us get this straight. My opinion is the only one that matters. GET IT. :ohmy: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: And I like my women with meat on them too. If you don't like that then I guess we will get along just fine.I think we do well for ourselves here. We just had discussions over 80's boats. All worked out just fine. We are not all the same. Are you not glad of that. We enjoy a little disagreement at times too. So what I used Shoo Goo for a temporary hole repair that was in several years and never leaked a drop. It was my fishing boat that just happened to be a 58 MFG. Personally I think that rig would ride funny with a bass seat on the nose. :ohmy:
Attachments:

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109642

This is great! Whose boat should we attack next? I just heard a great joke that compares (your boat here) to an STD!

I don't know what's happened here recently, but to me it's not a freedom of speech issue, it's a matter of common courtesy and respect for fellow boat enthusiasts. Where did that go?

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109644

Normspeed,

I have an alternate question for you: When are some "sensitive souls" going to grow up, STOP being "offended" & just "get over it"?
(Pardon me for saying that being "sensitive to the easily offended set" is a major problem of modern life & makes the "public nannies" LOOK silly & clue-LESS.)

DISAGREEING with any person's OPINIONS, TASTE, PREFERENCES and/or PREJUDICES is NOT "rude", "abusive", "in poor taste", "offensive" or even "insensitive".
(To quote former Justice of the SCOTUS, Sandra Day O'Connor, "If a person sees anything that they do not agree with in any public venue, they should simply avert their eyes & gaze elsewhere.")

Further, in 2015 if someone says that they love Chevrolet, mother & apple pie, some "critic" will opine that they HATE Chevrolets, despise their mother & want to make sure that nobody can enjoy apple pie.

just my OPINIONS, satx
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109645

That is kind of what I mean. I took heat for my temp, repair. That was long ago. Who cares. Les be happy and enjoy the nice weather.
Attachments:

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109647

Normspeed makes a good point above as well. I think all anyone is asking for here is civility toward one another and most importantly some RESPECT shown for one another. Is that really too much to ask for?

Satx, there simply is no justification for excoriating each other's boats here. This is simply a forum for like-minded enthusiast to get together and enjoy talking about our boats, this is not the front lines in some war to be fought for freedom of speech in this country. No one is suggesting that anyone elses opinions be stifled here - simply asking for a modicum of politeness and respect isn't too much to ask for.

I really don't think this forum's purpose is so that people can come here and bash each other's boats in a mean-spirited flurry of insults. If it's not something you'd say to someones face in real life, then it probably shouldn't be said in the first place. I can assure you that if some of the derrogatory comments made earlier in this thread were said to someone at a show, to their face, about a boat they have poured their hearts and hard-earned money into, their would be fist flying - we do NOT need for it to come to that in this hobby.

Common sense people...common sense.

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109649

Well to me in one post it went from people voicing their opinion about something to be calling rude. (and that was RUDE)

I did not see any body saying that anyone liking one boat over the other being dumb or anything personal.

I have a friend that does not like seafood and will tell all. I do not take it personal that she does not know what good food is and I still like her. If we go out to eat and she is with us we just plan on going to a place that serves more than seafood. We do not call her rude for that is a personal attack on her.

Just my opinion and if you do not like then do not read it
CAVU

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109650

TallTexan,

WELL SAID.

yours, satx
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109653

Finfanatic, I'm glad someone gets my point. SATX, sorry, no followup questions, I'm done with it.

(To quote former Justice of the SCOTUS, Sandra Day O'Connor, "If a person sees anything that they do not agree with in any public venue, they should simply avert their eyes & gaze elsewhere.")

Good advice, is that what you did?

Bye now.

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109654

hey guys , pick on my boat. it's afraid to come out of the garage...3 years.

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109655

I feel the same way, Normspeed.

Satx, calling someones post rude here is not a personal attack by any stretch of the imagination.

I bet if your friend stood up in the restaurant and said somthing along these lines about the seafood...

"They are butt-ugly. When restored, they're like a pig in a prom gown. Julia Pastrana was also very rare. She drew crowds all the time at sideshows for the simple reason that she was so ugly. Maybe that explains crowds around Lone Stars"

...she would be asked to leave and not come back
,and rightfully so.

I help run an auction house in Virginia, if someone stood up in front of my crowd and said the above, be assured they'd also be asked to leave and not come back. It's not a matter of thin skin, it's a matter of decency and respect.

The problems here are becoming very clear and evident. Although I care a great deal about this forum it is not my job to solve them. Is what we're seeing on this thread one of the main contributing factors to this forum being much less inactive than it used to be? I think so.

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109656

finfanatic

You wrote that the people posting were RUDE and NEGATIVE

There was not any rudeness till your post.
I really do not think anyone that owns a Meteor, plans on owning one or even wished that they could own one took it personal. They most likely took it as the thread started ........as a ribbing.

How many took this thread as if bilnan1 was really going to make a flower bed out of the boat or as if it was all in good fun. Every thing was in fun till a stick in the mud started calling other names on here.

Yes finfanatic you call them names..... not their post. And the negativity on the forum was started by you
CAVU

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109660

I know Bill and he's a great guy...the problems here have nothing to do with Bill.

All I've done is express some concerns that I'm sure a lot of other members share.

I can't argue with convoluted logic.

Carry on, I'm done with this one.

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109661

TallTexan,

As usual, you are 100% CORRECT.

On another subject: I found/purchased a NICE-quality (factory refurbished, with 2-year factory warranty) JVC 2-DIN stereo for the Mountaineer last PM for 53.48 delivered.
(The previous/2011 JVC retail price was over 300.oo.)

yours, satx
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:flower bed???? 8 years 11 months ago #109662

Well children, the sandbox seems a little crowded today.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7211 guests and 2 members online