Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: is this most of you guys?

is this most of you guys? 9 years 1 month ago #107233

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:is this most of you guys? 9 years 1 month ago #107234

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
sorry guys it was a cartoon of a guy using a blow dryer to melt the lake to put his boat in,but i could not get the pic up

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:is this most of you guys? 9 years 1 month ago #107238

your not to far off bud...i've used a heat gun on my pond a few times when the pond heater crapped out. takes forever though to get thru 2" of ice.
Attachments:

Re:is this most of you guys? 9 years 1 month ago #107248

We still have a ways to go up here. This is me, trying to get to the cottage (water access only) last weekend. This is about 1 hour south of Sudbury, Ontario.
Attachments:

Re:is this most of you guys? 9 years 1 month ago #107260

The ice went out on the Mississippi at the end of last week. Now it makes me wish I got my butt out of the recliner a little sooner and got to the painting that I need to do before it can hit the water.
Bill

Re:is this most of you guys? 9 years 1 month ago #107351

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I've used my high pressure sprayer to shoot through ice on the pond.

Ron, If I had those fish in my pond the kingfishers would have them gone in a day. Those feathered fishermen sit in the trees and take a dive like an Olympian. I can't even keep large minnows for fishing.

Re:is this most of you guys? 9 years 3 weeks ago #107609

well against the advice of all my fellow pond builders in north jersey, i dug my pond under a 40' very dense, norway spruce, less than 8'from the trunk. was told it was only a matter of time before the roots penetrated the liner. so the precautions i took other than laying 6" of sand on the bottom, i lined the bottom and sides with a very dense nylon outdoor carpet, then proceeded to lay a double 45 mil epdm liner over that. no breahthroughs yet and its been 19 years.the pond is 16'x 9' and varies in depth from a low of 16" to the deepest 28" under a rock shelf which i provided for the fish to hide if threatened. with the coverage of the spruce branches it cannot be seen by the herons that clean out a lot of ponds in the area. luv it as much as the day i finished building it. clean it out every spring with a wet vac that returns the filtered out water back in the pond. heres a tip for anyone thinkin of constructing a pond. dig your sides straight down, 90degree angle. racoons won't enter a pond unless they can wade (walk) in. i see them look down at my fish and they have never got one of them. keep my 12 ga. loaded and next to the door if i ever see one jump in. i've built a lot of ponds in the area and the yards that have no overhead cover are constantly being raided my herons. some have resorted to covering them with thick netting or screens. my opinion..ruins the appearance. ron

Re:is this most of you guys? 9 years 3 weeks ago #107617

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Around here, pond owners string several criss-crossed wires about 2' high over the pond. Apparently, herons won't wade into a pond if they can't take off in a hurry.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:is this most of you guys? 9 years 3 weeks ago #107689

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I think the 12 gauge would ruin your pond. .22 high velocity hollow point between the peepers works better and no stray shot holes to patch :laugh:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.340 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)