Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Slalom Help!

Slalom Help! 9 years 6 months ago #100844

• jim18611865
  • jim18611865's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Are any of you guys or gals decent slalom skiers?
This summer I secretly started picking up my right foot while skiing trying to strengthen my left leg, in hopes of someday learning to slalom.
My 13 yr. old figured it out, and in mid August tried some deep water starts without ever skiing on one ski. Amazingly he got up 3 out of about 12 tries but could not ski.

Next time out we went on a cloudy Thursday to my childhood lake. We were the only ones there. I managed to drop a ski for the first time ever without hurting myself. I just could not get my right foot in. My son tried it then, and was successful. I am still hearing about it. Third time out the little punk manages 2 deep water starts, and is now going in and out of the wake with ease. I am still trying to get that second foot in the ski. Two more times out and I still cannot balance while trying to get that right foot in, while my son made it around Bantam Lake. Nearly a 10 minute ride. Any tips to help this old dog learn a new trick? FYI, I am fairly certain I have the wrong foot forward. I tried reversing, but the right leg is not nearly as strong as the left.

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Slalom Help! 9 years 6 months ago #100869

I learned to slalom back in the day, but last time I did it, I found out just how fast all that leg work tires you out, especially in choppy water. (At my age, like, 100 yards or less!) I never mastered the drop one ski method, and finally just learned to get up on one, with both feet already firmly in the slalom bindings. It's actually easier than dropping one ski. When I taught some of my grandkids, I bought a big wide slalom ski designed for large adults. It was called a Connelly Big Daddy and I got a great deal on a factory blem. They would pop right up like a cork.

www.waterskiworld.com/water_skis/connelly-big-daddy-water-ski.html

Couple tips that helped me: Put a lot of weight on the rear foot, lean back hard, and just steer by leaning. I don't think it matters which foot you put in front or rear binding. Have fun! Once you get a few good starts, it's as easy as riding a bicycle, well, almost.

Re: Slalom Help! 9 years 6 months ago #100870

Dont rush to get your foot in the rear pocket. You can ski a long time on one foot. I get my foot behind me on the ski, feel around for the pocket then gradually shift my weigh back. Don't rush it, and upset your balance/

Re: Slalom Help! 9 years 6 months ago #100874

• jim18611865
  • jim18611865's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks guys. I did buy a very large Connelly Shortline. Less than $150 and free shipping.

Re: Slalom Help! 9 years 6 months ago #101025

Without dating myself, I was unable to get my foot in after dropping the ski either, so by default I had to learn to deep water start. That was 40 years ago.

You could use a 2 handle rope so the ski tip stays inside the rope for stability. They also make a one handle with a long bridal to accomplish the same thing.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6630 guests and 2 members online