My son is getting ready to tackle his first Glassic. He and his wife are picking up a 64 Sea Cruiser. He has down loaded all information from the library on the boat. He was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this model. We know it will need a transom. Here is a couple of shots.
hi there you have a good starter there ..... i have a 1960 sea cruiser i had a floor problem and a transom replacement... i poured my new transom with seacast, good folk, rebuilding the cabin now, but search transom repair in the articles section and you will have a lot of different approaches to your fix. it will take some time and don't get discouraged , it is worth it in the end. there are some very good looking finished projects from some of the veterans .. and everyone will help , get you to the end.
Yes this will be Paul's first Transom. Did you have any issues with the foam in the stringer cavity. I noticed his boat seems a little heavy compared to the Seafair. Was wondering if it might be water logged? Nice to know there is another Sea Cruiser out here.
well i didn't have any problem with it, it was soaked, i cut an inspection hole to see and there it was, wasn't glued, pulled it all out and let it dried. my boat came from upstate new york. it sat uncovered flat on the trailer for twenty years. the only thing not rotted was the hull , most of the cabin and the foam which was soaked. the stringers are about 3 1/2" wide at the top and mine had four .. hollow and there are weep holes from one to the other into the center cavity . the bottom of the plywood was covered in a thin layer of of glass. the floor was resin-ed down and with brass screws. the floor was soft in a few places where water had soaked through and dried and then soaked through again. the hull had kept it shape luckily . set the saw for the thickness of the plywood, mine 3/8" so you don't cut the stringers. i chiseled the stray glass off and then took a belt sander i didn't cut all the way out to the side there is a ledge on the walls and i went about half way over to give a landing for the new wood. the wood on the edge was good. bonded up to it. i have a few pictures i can send of the before and after with the new floor. feel free to get me anytime i have lots of pictures through the process.
Thanks for the pictures. Paul and I spent a good time going over them on New Years day. And then checking out his floor. He is getting ready to replace a motor in a friends truck and then has nothing to stop him from starting on his boat, at last. I think your pictures took away a lot of the worries he had about the foam.
nothing to it. i will find your email and i have a good assortment of the time i started and the time i finished , i will send you some pictures of the progress as i got back down to the stringers clean and ready and the edge i started with on the sides. im just returning the favor as the group walked me through it. it was intimidating at first but the guidance i got was the step in the right direction. i'll get those out soon.