Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: First Boat!

First Boat! 6 years 7 months ago #134060

While taking a short drive after Breakfast I made an off-hand comment that the Marine Foundation in our County has a few new boats for sale. Fast forward 30 minutes and my wife buys our first boat, a 1962 MFG Niagara.

The project list is growing by the hour as she surfs the internet. She is a little frustrated by the lack of MFG info in general and Niagara info in particular out there.

First will be getting the '69 Johnson 55 off the transom and obtaining a more reasonable motor. I am planning that a transom re-do will be in the offing and the 55 on a lady rated for 45 isn't good for her.

Second will be getting her red pretty.

I saw that the cleats are powder coated cast aluminum. Has anyone had luck getting them stripped and refinished?

How about the steering wheel?

Is that black dash cluster correct?

The seats will be getting re-done. Thinking a red and white pleather like I saw on a Westboro here on the forum.

Do you think this Nav light is correct?

Thanks in advance. You will probably see both of us posting on here as the more answers we find the more questions we have.

Mike (and Jo)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First Boat! 6 years 7 months ago #134075

Nice Find! My cousin has a similar model and his wife loves it. She prefers it to their newer boats.

1960 14' Speed Queen
1972 10' Tri-Cat 3
[Building] 10' Glen-L Squirt

First Boat! 6 years 7 months ago #134150

Nice boat you got there. cool!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1962Niagara

First Boat! 6 years 7 months ago #134172

Congratulations - you have a real find. It's hard to a good red one.

I grew up with four MFGs over the years and own two, a 1966 Niagara and a red one like yours, only the larger Edinboro model. See attached photos. I also plan on re-coating the hardware soon.

I have tons of info on MFGs, to the point I eventually plan to write a book and start a marque club. I'm also active in both the Antique and Classic Boat Society (ACBS) and the Antique Outboard Motor Club (AOMCI).
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1962Niagara

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

First Boat! 6 years 6 months ago #134306

Thanks all.

I just bought a '62 Johnson 40hp today...

First Boat! 6 years 6 months ago #134307

That Johnson is perfect for that boat.

Congrats!

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

First Boat! 6 years 6 months ago #134308

This is the "Jo" half replying... I am dying over those red/white seats and can't wait to get mine redone. The more I see, the deeper it gets. There's really not much out there regrading the Niagara.

First Boat! 6 years 5 months ago #134861

well i know how you feel i brought my first and only one home 10 years ago. 1960 sea cruiser. a lot of work but i am proud of myself for what i have accomplished.. i know you will have a smile from ear to ear when you sail on your maiden voyage. anybody can go to the dealer and buy a cookie cutter boat but these were made when boat building was a craft. not an assembly line. so a lot of pictures and keep some for yourself to look back on .. billy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8204 guests and no members online