Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wanting to "smooth" the outside of the hull.

Wanting to "smooth" the outside of the hull. 7 years 6 months ago #127777

Looking for any ideas about "smoothing" or coating the outside of the hull on my 57' MFG Erie. If you aren't familiar with the situation, it is almost like a raw chopped Fiberglas (no gelcoat or similar finishing treatment.

UPDATE: on a FB Group "Classic Fiberglas Boats", one respondent said it appears the gelcoat deteriorated. Said he used to be a boat painter and recommended "Awlgrip" products as a new topcoat paint over the raw glas. Sounds like it may be a bit of overkill for this little 15' runabout. Any opinions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Wanting to "smooth" the outside of the hull. 7 years 6 months ago #127899

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
The MFG's of this ilk were compression molded no gel, the color was in the resin.
I've had great long term results with two part urethane, Awlgrip, Imron etc. over correctly primed gelcoat.
Looking at the MFG's I have it's hard to say how smooth the compression molded surface when painted would be, the top coat will mirror the underlying smoothness of the substrate. You might need to wet sand smooth then use a high build two part primer and sand again before topcoat goes on, hard to say without seeing it.
Caution:
This paint chemistry can kill you, it will cure in your lungs if anybis inhaled, so it has to be done using full suit and breathing apparatus. I do prep but leave the painting to a pro if using the catalized Urethane route.

Re:Wanting to "smooth" the outside of the hull. 7 years 1 month ago #130670

I as well am interested in redoing the outside of my hull. It has a dark stain color to the what I'd assume should be white and you can clearly see the parts of fiberglass. Let me know what you did and how it turned out.

Re:Wanting to "smooth" the outside of the hull. 7 years 1 month ago #130696

Those built before 1961 had a different composition of the resin and fiberglass and would yellow and get rough with age. You can either gel coat it, or paint it. Most folks paint them - less expensive and often better results.

Sometime around 1960 (my dad had a 1960 Corry Carefree) the composition changed and the hulls stayed white longer and were smoother. My dads Corry was that way, although it did yellow a bit.

Definitely from 1962 on, they were smoother and stayed white longer. My 1962 Edinboro is very similar to my 1966 Niagara in how the hull has aged. I think the resin technology improved over time.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:Wanting to "smooth" the outside of the hull. 7 years 1 month ago #130704

Yep, agree on all counts. I ended up painting it a satin white (Rustoleum). Used 1/3 cup each of Tractor Supply "hardener" and "thinner" to a quart of enamel. Applied with a 4" roller high quality roller, looks pretty dog gone good! Prior to painting it just seemed to jettison fibers even just walking by, and the problem is solved now.

Unfortunately I will be selling it now that it looks great. Definitely not a flip situation. ;-( I have a waterfront home, and was looking forward to taking this out out for leisure rides. but it turns out I can only really use a flats boat here. There is currently only about 13" of water out back. This old gal' was fun... but I really need something more practical.

Re:Wanting to "smooth" the outside of the hull. 7 years 1 month ago #130728

That sucks you had to get rid of your project. If I may ask. How many coats and did you just use 1 quart?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)