Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need some advice please

Need some advice please 7 years 6 months ago #127290

I am probably about a week out from launching my 1957 Erie for the first time. I've changed the plugs, impeller, light switch, lower foot oil; not really sure what else I should consider.

In the meantime, does anyone have experience or opinions about how to deal with the keel that is a little rough? I've thought about smoothing it, and then laying some class over it. Unfortunately that would just crush the character of this old boat. See picture; any advice appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Need some advice please 7 years 6 months ago #127362

Honestly ?
I'd clean it up, paint it pretty, then create your own character.
This way you'll know exactly what you did to your boat, instead of blaming it on the last guy... Ha-Ha-Ha !

Nice looking boat you have there.
Right now I'm stripping paint off of a 1959 MFG Corry Utility that I want to trim out with wood. When I get to that point will you mind taking some
" How the factory did it" Pictures that I can use as reference ?

You can see what I'm starting with further down the MFG section.

Re:Need some advice please 7 years 6 months ago #127393

I'd be happy to take plenty of pics and post or send them direct. This weekend will be to scrub/pressure wash the interior so I can get the dirt out that is embedded into the fibers, spars and stringers. Obviously I won't blast it too hard with the pressure washer,,and will be using some "30 second cleaner".
The next real mechanical thing to do is change out the steering cables. Currently red plastic coated clothes line is in use...
With any luck the old 40 evinrude will crank this weekend and I get to take out on the water. I got rid of my trolling motor with my last boat sale. I plan to pick one up to have in the boat,...just in case I need to clamp it on the transom for an emergency get back to shore. Alternatively I've already put my brother on notice to provide chase boat services on the maiden voyage. Here is a snap of my backyard. :-)
Attachments:

Re:Need some advice please 7 years 6 months ago #127394

Thank you ! I want to put a wood overlay transom on the fiberglass transom I have.
I kept a lot of ribbon mahogany from a 1953 Lyman Islander that I had... did you know that it actually fits in a 30 gallon burn barrel ? I cried that day, I had to cut her up !
I'm one to keep the boat to it's roots, BUT because mine has been stripped of everything to the hull ? I will make it to my liking, with the MFG style construction, BUT not exact. Some you may say I bastardize the original ? BUT too bad, it's mine !
Believe me I'm not one go far from original, especially because, I am stuck with preserving a 1939 Chris Craft deluxe runabout, but I'm going to make sure it is safe to ride in, no matter what the purist says !!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8142 guests and one member online