Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: If you need info on a '59 MFG...

If you need info on a '59 MFG... 8 years 5 months ago #115307

I have a '59 Erie that my grandfather bought new in late '58 (the one in my avatar- that's me and my sis ~1980). It is a member of the family and has stayed 100% complete and original and in good shape, but I have it apart right now for the first time in its life. I have the decks, the rear seat, the outer transom, and the spray rails off for replacement (except the rear seat which is only out to get the spray rails off). If you or anyone else needs any pics or info, now is the time! Happy to help. I also have lots of "before" pics.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:If you need info on a '59 MFG... 8 years 5 months ago #115308

Correction: I should say about 99% complete. Either my dad or grampa replaced the bow handle with an aftermarket bow light, and it is missing the port aft corner chrome piece (which I am trying to find a replacement for if anyone knows of one...)

Re:If you need info on a '59 MFG... 8 years 3 months ago #118163

Just signed on the webside, saw your '59 and have a question. In my bio, I mention that my CA reg shows the boat as a 1961. I know that is wrong as posted website literature shows MFG didn't build the Cambridge after '59. Plus I was able to locate a previous owner who said they thought the boat was a '58 or '59. The ID sticker on the inside of the hull is really faded, BUT
on the backside of the mahogany wood dash there is a number written so I think that might be the orginial hull ID number. Since I can't find anything regarding MFG ID numbers on the Internet, I was wondering if the number 77802 was close to yours?

Re:If you need info on a '59 MFG... 8 years 3 months ago #118190

To my knowledge there is no list of MFG serial numbers on the Internet

They were usually on a plate on the inside of the transom and were four digits back then.

The current MFG CEO is retiring soon, and was production manager then general manager of the boat division in the late 60's thru late 70's and lives in NE Ohio. I hope to make contact this winter and see if MFG still has any old production records left they might be willing to donate to the Antique Boat Museum archives for posterity. We'll see.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:If you need info on a '59 MFG... 8 years 2 months ago #118307

The number, handwritten in black, on the port backside of the dash on mine is 1208 which matches the label on the stbd side of the hull under the front deck. The label calls it a serial number. I guess that would be the hull ID#?

Re:If you need info on a '59 MFG... 8 years 2 months ago #118385

There is a small sticker on the inside of the starboard side of the hull about 4 feet from the transom between the gunnel and inside rail. Very faded but I took a photo and played with it using Paint. Finally got it to be readable: Molded Fiberglass Hull

Re:If you need info on a '59 MFG... 8 years 2 months ago #118399

Here is a photo of the sticker. Sure looks like 77820.

Re:If you need info on a '59 MFG... 7 years 9 months ago #123033

JollyJack,
Does your sticker look like this ? I had to flip the picture because My sticker is upside down on the starboard side where the fore deck would be, and the "7" at the end is right side up ? They must have put the sticker on when it came out of the mold in the vertical position ?
Attachments:

Re:If you need info on a '59 MFG... 7 years 9 months ago #123208

Whoa, Chuck!

You've got one of the very early ones in that it shows Ashtabula, rather than the old furniture plant MFG bought in Union City in late 1955 or so for producing boats.

What year is your boat? Any pictures?

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:If you need info on a '59 MFG... 7 years 9 months ago #123211

Not sure of the year ?
This was my orginal post. I added some pictures a couple of days after I posted

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/mfg-owners-group/59-corry-utility

Re:If you need info on a '59 MFG... 7 years 9 months ago #123212

Interesting - so the sticker was on the Corry you got. I wonder when they started saying Union City on them?

Growing up we had a 1960 Corry Carefree for a couple of seasons. Never looked at the sticker/plate though.

My 1962 Edinboro has the usual plate on the transom saying Union City. as does my 1966 Niagara.

Re:If you need info on a '59 MFG... 7 years 9 months ago #123225

That is what I'm wondering too ?
I look in the library, and it looks like the corry started in 1958 ?
Were they in Union City then ? Or did MFG have some of the boat molds in Ashtabula ? Or did they just use up a box of stickers that was lying around ?

I wasn't born till 1961, so this was pre-me !

Re:If you need info on a '59 MFG... 7 years 8 months ago #123321

I found another that is as old as mine.
Found in the iboats mfg section....

Now if I can nail down a year ?

forums.iboats.com/forum/owners-groups-by-manufacturer/m-r/mfg/429381-ancient-mfg

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage
03-17-2024

Thunderbird Apache 1956 hardtop
( / Boats)