Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Throttle adjustment

Throttle adjustment 13 years 10 months ago #8840

I hardly get into any rpm till my throttle level is about horizontal, and then I have to go forward and down some to get full rpm. Any suggestions for adjustment?

I shift into forward or reverse right off vertical, all I'm saying is I got to push the throttle handle as far forward as it will go to get rpms. What am I doing wrong?

Any general guidelines for motor set up for idle and acceleration for a newly launched boat and motor?

Thanks!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Throttle adjustment 13 years 10 months ago #8865

Mines the same way...and WAY touchy once you do get into the throttle(about horizontal too). The manuals are very vague as to if this is something that can be adjusted from what ive seen...

Lemme know if you figure it out... :P

Re:Throttle adjustment 13 years 10 months ago #8867

Gee Jerrfy, I'm glad to know it ain't just me! I gotta play around with it a bit and see what I can come up with. IF I figure it out I'll let ya know.

Frank

Re:Throttle adjustment 13 years 10 months ago #8869

My 65 Merc 500 is the same.

1970 Glastron V-142 SkiFlite
1965 Merc 500
1968 Merc 500

Re:Throttle adjustment 13 years 10 months ago #8871

Sheeesh! I've had two other throttle handle controlled boats, one an old Johnson 115, the other an iron duke I/O, and both those had better throttle control, where it would gradually progress as the handle moved forward. I wonder what the deal is?

Frank

Re:Throttle adjustment 13 years 10 months ago #8875

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Frank,
ASSUMING everything else is OK, there are quite a few adjustments that need to be timed correct, it sounds like the throttle pick-up adjustment might be the culpruit or your max timing advance is not correct. Early throttle lever movement will do both advance the distributor timing and open the throttle plates, at some point the distributor hits the max timing stop screw and then more throttle will continue to open the throttle plates till they are just a tiny bit before wide open where a throttle stop is hit.
The throttle pick-up has a setting of distributor advance in degrees or piston distance before TDC when it starts to open the carbs, this is a plate on the distributor rotating assembly locked own with two 5/16 screws, it has a post usually with a plastic sleeve that will engage the trottle lever on th etop carb. The two stops are on the fixed plate in front of the distributor with the three screws, one is idle, one is throttle stop one is timing advance stop.
If this is not set up right then it will cause the problems in this thread....or worse.
Randy

Re:Throttle adjustment 13 years 10 months ago #8876

That's certainly helpful Randy, thanks. I've got to get a handle on this, but have been so excited to get the boat on the water that I have not taken time to read through all the merc stuff.

Is there some good way to set idle? A friend was telling me last Saturday to set it while tied to a dock in forward. I'm not sure what he meant, but just getting the boat out for the first time, I didn't take the opportunity to pick his brain more, or get him over to the dock! I hope to take it out tomorrow for some more time on the water, 1st time since last Saturday.

Thanks for the help!

Frank

Re:Throttle adjustment 13 years 10 months ago #8882

I went through a link\sync nightmare with my 1350 and after much trial and error, got it running good. I never went as far to fix the throttle problem because i didnt want to create more problems with the linkage...it works, just very touchy.

I am a total hands on learner...give me a book to read and it will take me forever to get it right and ill usually settle for "good enough" but SHOW me how to do it and i can fix just about anything. I just need to find a merc expert to take it to the lake with me and get it dialed in completely. But for now, ill live with the "touchy" throttle. :S

Re:Throttle adjustment 13 years 10 months ago #8918

Another area to check - although it is probably at engine end, is wear in the controller itself. I run a 4 hole 650 on one of those controllers & have hardly any slack.

Geoff UK

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)