Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: converting short shaft to long shaft?

converting short shaft to long shaft? 13 years 9 months ago #8608

• boatmaniac
  • boatmaniac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello,
Does anyone know if there are still parts available to convert a Mark 75 normal shaft to a long shaft ? I once had a set for a Merc 700, 1961 so I hope there is one for the Mark 75 also.

Eventually I am interested to buy a Mark 75 or 78 long shaft in restored running condition,with the proper controls,also. I recently had good experience with Craters & Frighters, who arranged the international shipping after a motor was delivered at their company.

Regards,Taco Vonk.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:converting short shaft to long shaft? 13 years 9 months ago #8629

Taco Vonk

not a lot of those left as you already know, parts are around, but you just need to watch ebay mostly, however I can put you in touch with a Mercury techincian & he will trade you the long shaft tower and lower unit for your shorts, providing its in good shape no cracks welds etc...you both get what you need if you want top go that way.

the only issues I see here is cost of shipping to you Taco, knowing where you live , NL ....if I recall, maybe you just take care of that & your good to go

let me know Ill put you 2 together
Michael

Re:converting short shaft to long shaft? 13 years 9 months ago #8678

• boatmaniac
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hello Michael,

Thanks for your offer but I better find a long shaft motor to buy than the trade option. Shipping is expensive,too! The Mark 75 was crated and shipped to the Netherlands for $ 550.00. Local import duties and VAT was another $ 420.00.

By the way. We have the ride guide steering adaptor made and installed. It works perfect. Thanks for your { and others} support.

Taco.
Attachments:

Re:converting short shaft to long shaft? 13 years 9 months ago #8680

wow I didnt realize duty and shipping was so high! I will keep my eyes open for the parts you need

you sure have some beautiful boats Taco

Re:converting short shaft to long shaft? 13 years 9 months ago #8695

• boatmaniac
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Michael,

Actually shipping is not that expensive. As you may remember the shipping of the controls was about $ 70.00. If the crating of an outboard is about $ 150.00 to $ 200.00 there is $ 350.00 left for shipping.

Import duties are not too bad in the Netherlands.About 2 to 5 %. The VAT is 19% over the purchase + shipping +custom forms. That is what makes it expensive.

Regards,Taco.
Attachments:

Re:converting short shaft to long shaft? 13 years 9 months ago #8705

Taco
I talked to him about the overseas issue he will sell it to you outright for $370 you pay shipping
Michael

Re:converting short shaft to long shaft? 13 years 9 months ago #8717

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
BEAUTIFUL boats, Taco!

Mark

Re:converting short shaft to long shaft? 13 years 9 months ago #8773

• boatmaniac
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hello Michael,

Please tell the owner of the long shaft parts that I decide at the end of next week if I will buy or not. Yesterday evening I received a mail that the chris craft silver arrow { the blue one on the picture} has a chance of 95% to be sent to Amsterdam.
It is standing since october in Baltimore docks after it felt of the ramp while loading, and sunk.

If it comes to Amsterdam I need my time { and money} to restore the Arrow and the other projects have to wait for a {long} time.

I will inform ASAP.

Thanks,Taco.

Re:converting short shaft to long shaft? 13 years 9 months ago #8800

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Taco,
The Longshafts are VERY rare, not much need in the late 50's as most boats where smaller and made for the shorter shaft motors. Keep in mind you can run a Mark 75 or 78 on about a 17 inch transom height as they are made slightly longer than later year shortshaft motors. So maybe a short will work if you can run it a bit high like that. The thing to look for when searching for a longshaft is the condition of the DRIVESHAFT in the seal and impelloor area as they tend to rust, and get damaged at the flat for the impellor key. This shaft can be hard to repair and finding another will prove most difficult if the one you get is not good, the shorts are more plentiful. If repair is needed I have had luck welding and grinding or using a Stainless Speedi-Sleeve if just the seal area is rusted.
My two cents,
Randy

Re:converting short shaft to long shaft? 13 years 9 months ago #8827

• boatmaniac
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hello Randy,

Thanks for your info. By searching the internet I was lucky this evening and found a Mark 78 long shaft with controls on craiglist. The seller is willing to support with shipping.

It is a complete motor that needs to be restored but the basics looks great.

I am not sure if this forum used to be called "John`s old Mercs" but the seller allready noticed my postings.

Regards, Taco.

Re: converting short shaft to long shaft? 13 years 9 months ago #8848

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Please excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between the long and short shaft (what length differences are we talking?) and why is one preferable over another?

Re:converting short shaft to long shaft? 13 years 9 months ago #8849

when boats became more reliable for John Q homeowner they started going offshore and higher transoms were needed more than before so they started to produce a lot more longshafts
were talking 3-6 inches depending on the manufacturer there are a few different lenghts

Re: converting short shaft to long shaft? 13 years 9 months ago #8851

• boatmaniac
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hello Amigold,

The short shaft is designed for a recommended transom of 16 1/2" and long shaft for 20 1/2" . My Aristocraft Torpedo is designed for the Short shaft and the "De Hart-Miltenburg" { the wood boat in my previous posting} for long shaft.

Regards, Taco.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)