Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Merc 1500 head jacket gasket...

Merc 1500 head jacket gasket... 13 years 10 months ago #8595

Any pointers to installing head cover gasket on a Merc 1500....
on old Merc forum i had a couple comments...
i do have a Mer Manual....just want to know if there is any special techniques.. :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Merc 1500 head jacket gasket... 13 years 10 months ago #8603

clean the surfaces well and check for flatness of the block and cover. a little sealer can help.

Re:Merc 1500 head jacket gasket... 13 years 10 months ago #8700

i plan on using gasket sealer...
I was tols to use silicon on certain areas of the cover?

Re:Merc 1500 head jacket gasket... 13 years 10 months ago #8747

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
If the machined surface around the spark plugs is chewed up (corroded) you might want to use a very thin coating of RTV to help seal those areas. Be sure to use non-copper-containing type, such as automotive Black or Hi-Temp Red.

If all the surfaces are in good shape, you can use a thin coating of Permatex #3 Aviation-Type gasket dressing on the center and also along the outside perimeter of the block. Seal the cover bolt threads with Permatex as well and they'll never seize in the block.

Note if your replacement gasket is shiny it's got gasket adhesive already applied and you really don't need any gasket dressing (except & unless the center holes are degraded). If it's a normal garden-variety non-shiny gasket, I always use a gasket dressing.

Note if you really wanna go Space-Age, use Permatex/Loctite 518 anaerobic gel sealant. It fills holes & pock-marks to a certain depth, and won't cure until the sealing surfaces are squashed together upon reinstallation of the cover. Good Stuff! Most auto parts stores will carry the tubes or can get them easily. Try NAPA if you've got one nearby.

Also available as Mercury Master Gasket sealer in a 2-part kit that comes with a primer. The gel part is identical to the 518 stuff. The primer helps with cure time, otherwise the results are the same in the end using either Master Gasket sealer or 518.

Here's some info on the stuff:

www.summitracing.com/parts/lct-37394?part=lct-37394

Master Gasket Kit at Boatfix.com

HTH & G'luck with the repair..........ed

Re:Merc 1500 head jacket gasket... 13 years 10 months ago #8789

Ed, that is some useful information about the sealants. i see you don't recommend the copper sealants, why is that?
thanks

Re:Merc 1500 head jacket gasket... 13 years 10 months ago #8792

reacts with the aluminum and makes serious corossion.

Re:Merc 1500 head jacket gasket... 13 years 10 months ago #8799

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I too use the 518 but only around the plug holes as that is typically where these fails and it bonds the gasket well to the surfaces. I use Black or clear silicone on the rest of the gasket, I smear on a thin coating on both sides wearing a latex glove so I don't goo up my fingers, the gasket looks glossy rather than blobbed with a silicone bead. This makes for easier disassembly, I have not had an issue yet. I also dip the threaded portion of the bolts right into the RTV tube to coat the threads it makes for easy removal but seals against corroion as mentioned. I think everyone is saying similar things, materials vary slightly but all will work. I run a 1500XS on a Switzer and a 1500 on a Hydrostream Vector, ya gotta love the look of the 6's!
Good Luck,
Randy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6021 guests and no members online