Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Merc 700 carbs.

Merc 700 carbs. 10 years 7 months ago #84085

Still working on my 700 DB. I am trying to get the carbs done and have run into a small problem. I need to buy 3 rebuild kits but I am getting some confusing info on the kits. These are KA8A carbs and I am having a hard time finding out what kit I need. I have been given #'s to 8 different kits. Does someone here know what would be the best kit to buy so that I don't end up with any more parts that don't fit or need. Thanks, Skip.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Merc 700 carbs. 10 years 7 months ago #84092

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I just went to OldMercs.com and was easy to find? Doubt you really need a full kit, imo if things aren't to bad you could use some fine wet&dry then crocus cloth if ya want to polish the inlet needles & seats? thats if you have the skills & patients? I've done this on my chain saw & truck with good results using a uniform twisting motion not to get things out of round....

ADDED; Yes Mark and Joe's prices seem to be quite competitive plus he always seems to have the part anyone might need. He knows his stuff for sure, been on these forums helping us out for years.

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:Merc 700 carbs. 10 years 7 months ago #84093

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Skip, questions like yours are where Joe Poole really shines my friend. He assisted me in obtaining the right parts for the rejuvenation of my 700FGS a few years back, which included carb and fuel pump kits, new fuel lines, etc.. Not only did he source all the parts I needed, but gave priceless advise on the task, explained options and "tricks of the trade" when they were available, never pressured me to buy more than what I needed. Having "first hand knowledge" on this I highly recommend his family business to anyone working on the majestic old Mercs!

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Mark

Re:Merc 700 carbs. 10 years 7 months ago #84108

I'm sure that Joe Poole Jr will agree that the needle & seat kits needed on the older Tillotson KA series carburetors require a Sierra Marine number 18-7057 for use with ethanol, as the NOS Quicksilver kits will fail with use of ethanol.
The floats are Sierra part 18-7208 or Merc # 1395-8983 are what can be scored these days.
Not much else is commonly needed unless the gasket for the float chamber or the cork washers for the fuel filter silo are needed.
Thom

Re:Merc 700 carbs. 10 years 7 months ago #84113

Thanks for all the great replies on this post. I got an email from Joe Poole and I am going to call him in the morning to order the parts I need. Now it is on to the distributor. I did manage to get the rotor off of it with out breaking it. I guess the merc gods were smiling on me for that one. Skip.

Re:Merc 700 carbs. 10 years 7 months ago #84119

Make damn sure you replace the inlet needle and seats, very important. Gaskets and a good cleaning are usually all that is required otherwise.

Re:Merc 700 carbs. 10 years 7 months ago #84127

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I haven't torn mine down yet so wondering are the needles rubber tipped, sounds like it is from whats said here.

ADDED: Thanks Professor ;)

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:Merc 700 carbs. 10 years 7 months ago #84128

Needle might be steel and the seat may have the rubber in it.

Re:Merc 700 carbs. 10 years 7 months ago #84141

Spent about 1 1/2 hrs on the phone today with Joe Poole JR. today. He rally turnout to be a great help on my Dockbuster parts I was looking for. Easy person to talk to and doesn't try to sell you anything you don't need. I will be doing more business with him down the road here while I am rebuilding this old tower. Skip.

Re:Merc 700 carbs. 10 years 6 months ago #84430

I have been slowly making progress on this old DB. Thought I would post a few pics of how it's going.

Well I hope that I am doing this right. Most of it is going back together ok. There is a couple of things I don't know about and will be asking some more questions here soon. The wife asked me today if it was gonna run. I told her if it didn't, we would have the best looking lawn art around. Skip.

Re:Merc 700 carbs. 10 years 6 months ago #84443

very nice work skip....

Re:Merc 700 carbs. 10 years 6 months ago #84461

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
:) ;)

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:Merc 700 carbs. 10 years 6 months ago #84493

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks very nice. It should run the same.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Merc 700 carbs. 6 years 7 months ago #133679

Found this thread using the search option. Wow, motor looks great. Saving this thread for future reference.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)