Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help

Help 13 years 9 months ago #8289

63g3 (Randy) said in response to a post about my motor problems "The shift shaft on the motor also has a neutral detent, look under the bottom carb, there is a crescent shaped arm with a groove that a spring clicks into make sure the spring is clicked into the center groove if there is more than one groove."

I posted this pic with my response and never heard back from Randy. Am I missing a spring here? It's a '63 Merc 1000. Thanks!

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Help 13 years 9 months ago #8291

Some do some dont.

My 1965 900 L-6 has the 3 notches but no spring. My older MK55's and such have the notches and the spring. Most of my big motors do not have the spring.

Conrad

Re:Help 13 years 9 months ago #8292

Frank the detent spring bolts to the lower cowl just behind and to the right of the fuel inlet connection
Attachments:

Re:Help 13 years 9 months ago #8297

Thanks Michael, that pic is VERY helpful. I know there is a spring down there that looks like that, but I couldn't see any connections. It is under that crescent shaped thing just out of camera range.

Thanks to Dave Bernard who called tonight to clue me in. You guys are the best!

I'm gonna bring tools with me that would let me check and maybe change the timing belt placement. This motor just acts like it's out of time. I know belts don't jump, but I would like to eliminate it as a possibility. I put this motor back together after Dave Cummings showed me how to rebuild a powerhead. He helped me through assembly as well, and when I was done last summer (fall?), I had a good running motor. Now I can't even get it to start. I had hoped maybe this spring was why, but nope.

Onward!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)