Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1964 650 merc timing confusion....

1964 650 merc timing confusion.... 13 years 10 months ago #8240

Good evening, gents..
I've pulled out most of whats left of my hair on this one, and I'm hoping someone can help. I've installed new points, condenser, polished up the brass terminals on cap and rotor and re-assembled the mag and mounted it on the engine. I've installed the dial guage and found .222btdc, but I can't get a reading on the mag with my ohmeter to determine when the points are opening. The book says to rotate the mag clockwise with an ohmeter clipped to the mag body and the ground post on the side, and when the meter breaks, you've found your points opened. At this point you're supposed to adjust your advance screw, and then work on to adjust throttle pick-up with another dial reading. All I get with my meter is continuity, no matter how far I rotate the mag. Have I missed a fibre washer or something, like an insulating idea?? Without this, I can't time it. I did try to fire her up after installing the mag, and it fires and runs on one compression! Super!! Didn't run it for long,though, in case of bad things happening, but it can't be too far out, can it?? Has anybody come across a situation like this before??

Many thanks!
john :ohmy:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1964 650 merc timing confusion.... 13 years 10 months ago #8243

did you drop the whole mag tower when you removed the mag and in doing this remove the timing belt?
if so re check the timing

did you bench test the mag for strong spark and to be working correctly before it was reinstalled ?

if you didnt remove the timing belt then I would drop the mag and re do your work and bench test to be certain you have spark that jumps a good 1/4"

let me know where we stand on these questions and we can go from there....dont pull out any more hair PLEASE.... we will get it :lol:

Re:1964 650 merc timing confusion.... 13 years 10 months ago #8300

try disconnecting the coil wire and condenser from the points
when the points are open you still have continuity though the coil but the condenser should not
Charles

Re:1964 650 merc timing confusion.... 13 years 10 months ago #8306

Good evening and thanks for responding to my plight..when I pulled the mag I left the tower in place and undid the 4 screws and dropped out the assembly. I didn't bench test the mag, but installed the new points and condenser, gapped the points and re-installed the mag. It must have a strong spark as it will fire after only 1 compression and run smoothly. It did idle rather high compared to it's previous settings, at approx 1200rpm with the cuffs on in neutral. Didn't run it long just in case. I will drop the mag again and re-check my assembly. I don't have a drill press, just a hand drill with a 1/2" chuck, but it might fit. To check for spark should I stick plugs on the wires and ground them??? Never done this before...
Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement....

John

Re:1964 650 merc timing confusion.... 13 years 10 months ago #8307

Thank you Charles, I'm going to dive back in and re-check my handiwork...I'll go over your suggestion and see what's what..

Thanks again!

John

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6578 guests and no members online