Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Good news & bad news

Good news & bad news 13 years 10 months ago #7867

Water pump works great, water streams out of that pee tube like there's no tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the motor will not go into either forward or reverse. The new cable for shifting is working fine, it's something else. It's very depressing, I can assure you.

Any ideas? I'll be back tomorrow morning. I've had it for the day.

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Good news & bad news 13 years 10 months ago #7868

when you put the lower unit back in after the water pump impellor change did you try shifting it thru the gears a couple times ....very very common to get shift issues after dropping the lower from not lining up the selector lever and the gearbox in the corresponding gear

drop the lower unit turn the shift shaft on the lower to get into forward gear...now set the selector level(where the cables connect)
into forward gear as well and re assemble...test to be certain you are shifting into FN&R before you button it all back up
dont get frustrated if it takes a few attempts

Re:Good news & bad news 13 years 10 months ago #7869

MadProps wrote:

when you put the lower unit back in after the water pump impellor change did you try shifting it thru the gears a couple times ....very very common to get shift issues after dropping the lower from not lining up the selector lever and the gearbox in the corresponding gear

Would be my guess as well.

Re: Good news & bad news 13 years 10 months ago #7870

Frank Dam it you have had Muphy with you long enough. You got to pawn him of on to somebody else. You do that and maybe things will start going better. Well don't feel to bad I have a 75hp here I have had the lower unit off 4 times now because it won't pump. I keep missing one of the water tubes to line up.

Re: Good news & bad news 13 years 10 months ago #7874

I am MadProps on this one. I did the same thing myself on my 850.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Good news & bad news 13 years 10 months ago #7884

MadProps wrote:

drop the lower unit turn the shift shaft on the lower to get into forward gear...now set the selector level(where the cables connect)
into forward gear as well and re assemble...test to be certain you are shifting into FN&R before you button it all back up
dont get frustrated if it takes a few attempts

No Michael, I didn't try shifting after I put the impeller in (until I got to the river).

I don't even remember seeing a shift shaft. I found a picture on page 83 of the merc manual, so now I will go out and drop the LU and see if I missed something.

How will I know which way to turn the shift shaft to go into forward?

I don't understand how I test it to make sure the gears work before buttoning it back up. No big deal I guess, I got all day to play with it.

Thank you VERY much for the help.

Frank

Re:Good news & bad news 13 years 10 months ago #7895

I think it needs to be in forward, but what end of the travel is forward for the shift shaft? See my post from a few minutes ago Mike:

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/mercury-outpost/getting-in-gear-after-impeller-change

Frank

Re:Good news & bad news 13 years 10 months ago #7910

Boy, I put it in forward, put it back together, and can't get it into neutral at all. I disconnected the shift control 1st thing this a.m., so have been able to just work it at the motor. What, take it apart, move the shift shaft some other direction, try it again? I don't seem to have much reverse through any of the shift shaft movement, but maybe if I can just get it so I can shift back and forth, things will be different?

Frank

Re:Good news & bad news 13 years 10 months ago #7914

Frank,
I know the book says forward, but do it in neutral. You may find forward-neutral-reverse may be in different locations and change as you rotate the shift shaft. You need to find the correct neutral detent. The shaft wont rotate too far either direction for forward or reverse. Once you find that neutral position make sure the upper selector in in the neutral position and install the lower unit. Hope this makes sense.

Jim S.

Re:Good news & bad news 13 years 10 months ago #7915

Morning Jim!

We got it so it at least goes in each of the 3 positions, so we're off to the Hudson to dunk it and see what we got. Got all day, so we'll hopefully figure this out. Pics later, maybe some video, we'll see.

Don't be a stranger!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6991 guests and 2 members online