Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New impeller - video

New impeller - video 13 years 10 months ago #7808

Here's some real time running fellows. What do you think? Keep in mind, we have crummy well pressure.

Thanks!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New impeller - video 13 years 10 months ago #7827

Frank, does that thing have 2 pee holes? That may be why you don't have much of a stream coming out ont he righthand side of the engine. I can't figure out where the water is coming from on the lefthand side. None of my Mercs spray over there.
Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:New impeller - video 13 years 10 months ago #7828

Do you have a trashcan or something you can run it in?

I agree that its odd that there is water coming out the left side...

Re:New impeller - video 13 years 10 months ago #7830

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Doug, here's the video right after Frank got done with the rebuild, it has water coming out that same hole on the port side of the lower cowling.

Frank, when your company leaves can you pull the wrap around cowling and run it again? Look (shoot video) down inside the lower cowling, I think that's a drain hole in the lower cowling on the port side the water is coming out of. (Doesn't appear to be under pressure, just dripping.) Wondering where that's coming from!

Running in a trash can or water tub is a good idea, (just recommended to me recently!) to see if the hose is "pushing" the water through the motor or if the pump is working as it should.

PS - PLEASE don't shoot the messenger. :ohmy: Just trying to help make sure everything is good to go!

Mark

Re:New impeller - video 13 years 10 months ago #7835

No use running a video Mark. I just started it up, there's water puddling in the bottom of the cowl, but no idea where it's coming from, unless the powerhead isn't bolted down enough. This powerhead had a leak in the water jacket on the top on the starboard side that I fixed with JB Weld a while ago.

So now what?

Jeez, here I wanted to take it out tomorrow, wonder if I should? This whole thing is getting to be a drag.

Frank

Re:New impeller - video 13 years 10 months ago #7839

• MarkS
I'll probably get shot down for this, but I'm going to tell you what I would do. Run it in a tub or trash can as suggested to make sure the pump is doing it's job on it's own. If the leak is minimal, as it appears to be, let the sumbeach leak! As long as you're still pumping cooling water thru the motor, and not getting any electrical stuff wet, DRIVE IT. You maybe can take it by somebody who has a tig/mig (I always get those two confused) and get it welded shut later if that's possible.

Mark

Re:New impeller - video 13 years 10 months ago #7841

The "tub or trash can" is gonna be a river or lake Mark. I've got a brand new electric trolling motor to save me paddling if it comes to that. When I get over to Silver Lake next week, maybe someone will have a clue.

Thanks,

Frank

Re:New impeller - video 13 years 10 months ago #7843

MarkS wrote:

......Run it in a tub or trash can as suggested to make sure the pump is doing it's job on it's own........

I agree with ya on that one Mark. I like to run mine some times in a cheap 30 gallon trash can so the engine can pull water naturally. I have seen them look like they are pumping when on the muff, but once you put them in the barrel or the lake you find out it was just the water pressure going through the muffs.

Hopefully it'll all work out good and the pump is pumping and the engines staying cool so you can run it and just let it leak until you can get it fixed up.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:New impeller - video 13 years 10 months ago #7844

• MarkS

The "tub or trash can" is gonna be a river or lake Mark.

That'll work too, best of luck Frank. ;)

I agree with ya on that one Mark.

Whew! Thanks, Doug. I made this test barrel from an old plastic 55gal drum from work and a drain fitting for a coleman cooler. The backpressure from having the exhaust in the water changes idle settings, plus my old Merc 700 was one you couldn't run muffs on, so...........there it is. Total investment = $2.95
Attachments:

Mark

Re:New impeller - video 13 years 10 months ago #7846

Okay, so I barely got the LU in my garage 30 gallon trash bucket, so now what am I looking for? Water just out of the pee tube I put in?

Got plenty of time here, probably will take 1/2 hour for the can to fill up. Good thing it's plastic or it wouldn't have worked!

Thanks for the help guys!

Frank

Re:New impeller - video 13 years 10 months ago #7849

• MarkS

Water out of the pee tube I put in?

Yup, that's it. It may take a minute, but it should pump up and out the tube on it's own.

Mark

Re:New impeller - video 13 years 10 months ago #7850

Probably not gonna work. Suggestions?

Re:New impeller - video 13 years 10 months ago #7852

• MarkS
She's trying to pump Frank, but I don't think your water level is high enough in the can. Put some 2x4's under the can to raise it up, trim the motor down a tad. The water level needs to be up to the cavitation plate! (With the water "boiling" around in the can, I think you're sucking some air in the water intake) It started pumping pretty good at first...! Think you're gonna be okay, but lets try this higher water level.

Mark

Re:New impeller - video 13 years 10 months ago #7856

We're gonna run it down to the Hudson after dinner for a float test. I'll keep my eye on that pee tube, we'll bring a camera and report later tonight. Not gonna go far, just gonna bring a couple paddles.

Thanks.

Frank

Re:New impeller - video 13 years 10 months ago #7865

you have a pee hose on the top cyl of the motor try pluging the bottom one and see if you get a full stream on the top
Charles

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)