Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Kill lanyard?

Kill lanyard? 13 years 10 months ago #7406

How would you rig one of these on an old merc, like my '63 100 hp? It's a dual distributor ignition. Any ideas?

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Kill lanyard? 13 years 10 months ago #7409

I am not familiar with these motors Frank as they don't exist here in England, but does it have the mercury (the liquid) tilt switch on it? If so just connect one of you kill switch wires to that wire & the other to earth. Make sure the switch is set to 'make' when the lanyard is pulled & that is all there is to it.

Re:Kill lanyard? 13 years 10 months ago #7410

No, the tilt switch was removed years ago. I would like to find another alternative.

Frank

Re:Kill lanyard? 13 years 10 months ago #7413

Frank to make life simpler just know there are 2 types of lanyard safety switches, one type breaks the circuit the other completes the circuit ...I didnt know this till the switch didnt work, then after 2 hrs of looking for shorts etc I discovered I had there was more than 1 type of kill switch

I believe you can interupt the power to the coils, short out the points or wire into the existing kill at the keyswitch..but wait for a confirmation on this , then just choose the right kill switch to suit your wiring method or wire to suit the switch ;)

Re:Kill lanyard? 13 years 10 months ago #7417

PC1000 wrote:

No, the tilt switch was removed years ago. I would like to find another alternative.

Frank

If you know where the tilt switch connects then that is where to connect it. As I say I am unfamiliar with these electrical systems, but most later Mercs had either orange or brown wiring on the kill circuit. I probably have a wiring diagram somewhere if no one pops up with a definitive answer.

Re:Kill lanyard? 13 years 10 months ago #7421

Frank the mercury tilt/kill switch ran brown & white wires to the distributor....they are the 2 NEG wires from the coil that we need to interupt

look for the brn & white wires coming out of the dist tace them to the first connection block.....now run your 2 wires to the lanyard from this connection block brn & white OK

if this is fuzzy Ill draw you a diagram Frank

Re:Kill lanyard? 13 years 10 months ago #7425

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

If you know where the tilt switch connects then that is where to connect it.

Terminal block on the port side of the block on a 62 700, yours should be the same Frank.

Mark

Re:Kill lanyard? 13 years 10 months ago #7481

I'll take a gander tonight if I can. Thanks all!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7667 guests and 2 members online