Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trim pump mount, change of plans

Trim pump mount, change of plans 13 years 11 months ago #7163

First of all, any you guys got pics of where you mounted the little hose box on your splash pan? Does this look okay for installation?

Secondly, you can see my hole saw there I'm going to use to cut the hole for the hoses to go through under the little hose box. Should I use something to protect the hoses as they go through the hole cut in plywood?

I cut a piece of 3/12 house electric cord this morning the same length as my trim hoses. If I mount the pump all the way to starboard, the jury is out on whether I can get the hoses to the rams. So what to do?

I had put the gas tanks in sideways to fit behind an imaginary rear seat, i.e. so they would be behind the back of the splashpan. If I turned them 90 degrees they stuck out past that edge, and would interfer with a future seat. What I had not though to do was lift them a bit over the cross brace behind them. Presto zippo, looks like this will work. Now I can glass in a picee of plywood betseen the two crossbraces (one holds the edge of the splashpan) and I will have room there to fit it in. I'll make another aluminum bracket to tie the pump to, so that I can easily mount it to the plywood without being some kind of contortionist. It's bad enough as it is!

Gonna start figuring this out after work. Wish me luck fellers!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Trim pump mount, change of plans 13 years 11 months ago #7178

tank on each side, pump and battery in the middle like mine.box goes right in front of the motor.

Re:Trim pump mount, change of plans 13 years 11 months ago #7203

Can't do it, pump and battery cannot be in the same sponson, obstructs future seat.

Trim pump mount, mock up 13 years 11 months ago #7211

This is gonna work. Glass it in tomorrow when it's a tad cooler. 80 here. Got stainless screws holding the plywood in place, will remove screws, install back with 5200, then mat and resin over it, top and bottom. Note the hole for accessing the lower motor nut. ;)

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Trim pump mount, change of plans 13 years 11 months ago #7243

Plywood glassed in, oil lines installed, hole cut in splashwell for oil line bracket thingie, holes drilled for mounting screws for said thingie, lines running through thingie. Having a donut (w/peanut butter!), helps me think. :)

Sorry, no pics today. Wife took camera last night to confirmation for a nephew in CT this a.m. Seems she thinks snapping a few shots there is more important than documenting progress on my 14T. Sheeesh!

Frank

Re:Trim pump mount, change of plans 13 years 11 months ago #7244

Oil lines hooked to rams (gee, nothing stripped for a change :) ), Grommets now move (3 out of 4 anyways), but what a bear seating them in thingie. Blue loctite on lower ram bolts, need to grease a bunch of things too I guess. Thought this would take all day, maybe not!

Frank

Re:Trim pump mount, change of plans 13 years 11 months ago #7256

good job Frank!

Re:Trim pump mount, change of plans 13 years 11 months ago #7259

Thanks Dave, you da man. Ran to Lowe's to get stainless fasteners. Now that I know it's gonna work, did not want to take it apart anymore. Got the fasteners, got everything mounted, oil lines hooked up, hoses look about equal above the splash pan, doing good. Bought myself a hand pump oiler like you suggested, need to go out and fill it with oil after a "back" break. I need to get flat on the old back for a while till it calms down. Once I get her filled with oil, I'll hook her up and give it the old test. Got new rams, probably need to top off the oil a couple times. I may be able to get some shots, maybe video before the day is out.

Frank

Re:Trim pump mount, change of plans 13 years 11 months ago #7268

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Frank, have you ever tried one of those things that are like a long bean bag you heat up in the microwave for your back? My wife uses one all the time, says it really helps. They have them at the drug stores, like Eckerds or Walgreens, CVS, etc.. They're usually in the section where the heating pads and stuff are. Might be worth a try buddy.

Mark

Re:Trim pump mount, change of plans 13 years 11 months ago #7269

Mark, I've tried about everything you can think of and more, including the heated beanbag thing. This problem I have isn't gonna get better, just the opposite. Anyways today it's my left shoulder more than my back. Boat is about done, I need to go see the doc I guess.

Spent all day on the PT&T, got it done, leak-free. Had a scare when I first tried it, front 1/8" tube leaked like mad. So I try and tighten it a bit, no go, tight as can be. I try and loosen it, no go, but then notice the flare nut is loose. what's with that? Long story short, the flare nut wrench was running into the other 1/8" flare nut right adjacent to the one leaking. A regular 3/8 wrench solved the problem.

Man o man, am I ever glad this is done!

Frank

Re:Trim pump mount, change of plans 13 years 11 months ago #7279

Some stills of the pump mount, and of the stern. I covered my crummy looking steering cable and finished of all protruding bolts with acorn nuts. Still got some wiring to wrap with tape, maybe tomorrow. Details, details.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Trim pump mount, change of plans 13 years 11 months ago #7281

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
It's coming together, Frank. All those little details add up to a lotta work, huh! Question: have you checked to make sure your elec harness has enough slack when the front of motor turns to the port side? It looks kinda tight, but maybe you have some slack under the splash pan?

Mark

Re:Trim pump mount, change of plans 13 years 11 months ago #7283

willthe battery box fit in front of the pump?

Re:Trim pump mount, change of plans 13 years 11 months ago #7294

No. The battery and pump can't occupy the same hull/sponson, not near enough room behind a back seat. I can only use the battery box now because the pump moved a hull over.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)