Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2nd power trim ram cylinder stripped

2nd power trim ram cylinder stripped 14 years 15 hours ago #4650

I'm not having much luck with my old PT&T. First I stripped one ram cylinder tightening up (very carefully!) the 1/8" hose. Replaced that one (cleaned, sanded, primed, painted, clear coated). Now this morning while having my son hold the 1/4" hose on the other side so I could tighten it (very carefully and NOT in a rush at all) while it was held it the right place for that little hump in the steel tubing part, I stripped that one!

Is there any alternative for something like this than replacing the ram cylinder? Teflon tape, gunk, Loctite, anything I can do that will save me having to renovate another cylinder? Guess I shouldn't have painted them silver metallic eh?

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:2nd power trim ram cylinder stripped 14 years 10 hours ago #4668

Frank,
Desperate times may call for desperate measures.
If you don't want to purchase a replacement ram - which I totally understand - you might try this with the understanding that I have not done this so I can't claim it is a good idea:
What about carefully removing the raised center down in the hole that originally sealed against the hose end's flared surface using a drill bit.
Then tap out the hole to a standard thread. You may have to modify a tap by slightly grinding off the pointy end & eventually turning it into a 'bottoming tap' once you get the threads started.
Then buy a brass fitting with the original style female end and large enough NPT male threads on the other end to insure the end is large enough to do the following:
Then using a die, rethread the NPT to whatever thread you tapped into the ram. Then install this custom fitting and then install the original hose - provided you know you have not thrashed the threads on the end of the hose.
Just a freaky-frankenmerc suggestion.
Maybe someone else can run with the idea and make it better.
Thom

Re:2nd power trim ram cylinder stripped 14 years 9 hours ago #4672

That could work Doc if I could find a 1/4" tubing thread tap. I've gone through the fitting "maze" trying to figure other ways out, but it does not seem solvable. There is a fitting place up in Albany that does weird stuff, I am gonna check with them. There is nothing to lose trying, as it is an otherwise good cylinder, just made worthless by one stupid fitting! And I have two of them, all painted up and everything.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep y'all posted.

Frank

Re:2nd power trim ram cylinder stripped 14 years 3 hours ago #4703

did you wreck ALL the threads or just the first few ? if you only hurt the first few theres a chance of "standing" them back up with a tap enough that the fitting can get past them and get a hold of the bottom good ones ....

Re:2nd power trim ram cylinder stripped 14 years 2 hours ago #4708

Where could I find a 1/4" tube fitting tap Dave? It would have to be a bottoming tap too. I've looked on the web for them and can't find em. If I could find one, it would be worth buying just to see if it might help.

Frank

Re:2nd power trim ram cylinder stripped 13 years 11 months ago #4810

depends on the pitch , if its a straight thread or taper , Im thinking thats a straight thread so ... I may have one here , drop me a E and remind me and I will check the thread , I have some of those hoses here

Re:2nd power trim ram cylinder stripped 13 years 11 months ago #4820

Email sent. Thanks for the help Dave. I can't be the only guy this has happened to can I?

Frank

Re:2nd power trim ram cylinder stripped 13 years 11 months ago #4838

Why can't you fit a thread insert into the ram such as Heli-coils? Or am I being stupid?

The pipe seals at the base, not on the thread so it would seem a simple fix on the face of it. I have just bought to kit here in the UK for 1/2" UNC - which is big by outboard standards - & it consisted of 10 inserts, a tap, inserting tool etc. & all for £25.00 (38 ish of your funny dollar thingys :dry: ). I would think it would be much cheaper in the US as most stuff is. This way you are doing a proper job that will allow you to keep with the standard hose sizes & be able to remove them at any time without any issues. Just make sure the swarf (chips I think you call it) doesn't get inside to oil feed hole.

See here for what I am talking about Thread kit

My tanners worth!

Re:2nd power trim ram cylinder stripped 13 years 11 months ago #4846

I'm familiar with heli-coil products, but I do not believe they make any that would fit tubing thread. As far as I know, these PT&T line ends are tubing thread like is commonly used on brake lines. Heli-coil doesn't make inserts for tubing thread, and I have not been able to even find taps for that thread. I'll do some more checking around today if I can.

Thank!

Frank

Re:2nd power trim ram cylinder stripped 13 years 11 months ago #4848

I thought your NPT is very close (if not the same) as our BSP. See Here for a listing from the people I use - they are not heli-coil but are the same type of product, just a different make.

Good luck Frank!

Geoff UK

Re:2nd power trim ram cylinder stripped 13 years 11 months ago #4849

Geoff, looks like I may have a solution. Weatherhead makes brass fitting adapters that go from 1/8" pipe to 1/8" tubing (202X2), from 1/8" pipe to 1/4" tubing (202X4), and from 1/4" pipe to 1/4" tubing (202X4X4). I don't know how well they will work, but it won't be too hard to find out!

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

Frank

Re:2nd power trim ram cylinder stripped 13 years 11 months ago #4982

I got a machine shop here in the county that can do this drill and tap stuff. Now, how do I keep metal out of the cylinder? Would a spot of grease in the hole do it? What else might work? A retrievable piece of round metal? I really don't want to have to pull this thing apart!

Frank

Re:2nd power trim ram cylinder stripped 13 years 11 months ago #4989

try air in the other hole and see if it comes out. or extend the ram and push it in to blow it out. as always grease on the drill and tap.or all 3at the same time.just a thought.

Re:2nd power trim ram cylinder stripped 13 years 11 months ago #5010

Grease in the hole & grease on the tap. Only go a little way then clean & re-grease the tap. Tap it 'uphill' so the chips stay with the tap & don't drop down into the hole. Slow & steady is the secret.

Re:2nd power trim ram cylinder stripped 13 years 11 months ago #5011

I'm having a machine shop do it. They will use a drill made without a point (kind of like a bottom tap) in a machine that makes the hole perfectly aligned. I'm thinking a small headed nail cut short that fits closely in the hole, the head covering the hole, the nail held in with grease.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7526 guests and no members online