Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: An Ignition Switch question

An Ignition Switch question 14 years 4 weeks ago #3012

I have an old sea king sitting around of 64 vintage.
The motor lacks the wiring harness. A simple affair of 4 or five wires.
Basically, the harness feeds the ignition switch and is not housed within the control box. The original switch had the "push to choke" feature.
I've found a newer Mercury switch on eBay for a reasonable price.
(local boat shop wants 50 bucks for the part)
What concerns me is, in looking around, it appears there are different types of switches, i.e., Some with a magneto circuit, some without.
Maybe it does not matter, and I guess the question is:
Can I use a newer switch that may or may not have a "magneto circuit"
I can put together a few graphics if it would help.

regards
lar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:An Ignition Switch question 14 years 4 weeks ago #3025

Lar,
You will need an ignition switch that completes a circuit (to ground) when the ignition is turned to OFF.
The solid state distributor ignition switch interrupts a circuit (for 12v to the white on switchbox) when turned to OFF so those ignitions will not work on a magneto,...BUT
The ignition switch for an adi ignition WILL work for a magneto, a solid state distributor , or the adi as they close a circuit (to ground) when the ignition key is turned OFF and you can also use the 'accessory 12v' terminal to supply 12v to the white terminal on the solid state distributor motors when the ignition is turned ON and during START. On a solid state distributor Merc when using this ignition switch where OFF position does not require a circuit to ground simply do not use that terminal or if the ignition is already wired up simply leave the Orange or Black with Yellow stripe wire taped off.

Note:
Early '60s wiring harnesses have a salmon colored wire that might be mistaken for Orange, but I am referencing the '80's+ adi wiring harnesses, etc.

So if you find the ignition switch that is originally for the '80s+ adi Mercs and has the 'push in to choke' feature you have found the ideal ignition for various vintage Mercs - IMHO.
Note:
ADI ignitions are the ignitions that do not have a distributor and have individual coils for each cylinder. (lots more to it, but if you spot on with a coil for each cylinder you're looking at an adi system).
Thom

Re:An Ignition Switch question 14 years 4 weeks ago #3028

Thom
Thus far, I have not been able to identify or find a wiring diagram for the switch I'm looking at, only that it is for an ignition system 1994 yrs and up. Does that qualify?
part # is 87-88107A13

thanks
lar

Re:An Ignition Switch question 14 years 4 weeks ago #3077

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
lar, if that switch won't work or doesn't work out for whatever reason, I'd be glad to check at work Monday to see if I can help. I'm NOT selling for my employer, but would be glad to help a fellow boater out if I can. We carry the Cole Hersey line of elec. stuff, and they do have a number of marine ign. switches. Just let me know by PM, okay?

Mark

Re:An Ignition Switch question 14 years 3 weeks ago #3079

Mark, where do you work? I used to work for NAPA and still have an employee's account (discount) there. Sure comes in handy!

Frank

Re:An Ignition Switch question 14 years 3 weeks ago #3080

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Morning Frank, just making the second pot of coffee. I work for a place called Turbo Diesel & Electric, as the warehouse manager. Main business now is turbos for trucks, industrial, some marine. They also have a shop that repairs diesel injection pumps, and supply electrical rebuilders with parts. (I'm trying to talk the owners into advertising here, not interested in helping them until they do ;) )

We have a customer in Jacksonville, FL who orders two Garrett turbos at a time weighing in at 85 lbs each for a marine application! Can you imagine what they must fit!?

Mark

Re:An Ignition Switch question 14 years 3 weeks ago #3085

Diesels eh? Any 6-71 or 8-71 blowers hanging around you need to get rid of? ;) My hot rod could use one, I just can't afford anything store bought.

No need to check, I'd be lucky to afford shipping!

Frank

Re:An Ignition Switch question 14 years 3 weeks ago #3097

Mark
Thanks for the offer to help.

I re-read Thom's post. From what I glean, the switch I'm looking at, should fill the bill. Tho I hate to admit it, there are times, I don't fully read, or comprehend the simplest instructions.
His clue: basically any post 80's switch.
I assume most mercs from a certain point in the 80's on up will have an ADI ignition system.
Now it is just a question of parting with the cash.
Sometimes, that can be harder than the search for valuable information!
That said, I will keep your offer in mind if the current availability on the switch goes south.
Thanks everyone

lar
reading, really is, fundemental

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7061 guests and no members online