Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trim/Tilt buttons

Trim/Tilt buttons 14 years 1 month ago #2563

I would appreciate some opions out there on where to buy a auxilary trim/tilt button set up. I would like to one that mounts on the single lever of my 72 Merc shift. I have seen some that even mount on the steering wheel. Any thoughts/comments? thanx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Trim/Tilt buttons 14 years 1 month ago #2579

There was a set of two buttons that were vertical to each other and if I recall correctly the unit replaced the 'T' handle of the '72 Merc control box. I don't know if this was a Merc item or an after-market item, but it was a real nice set-up for that controller.
I usually mount a toggle switch on the dash in a position that allows me to reach it while still holding the steering wheel and throttle control. (safety first)
The toggle switch needs to be the type that is 'OFF' in the center position and has 'momentary ON' at both the 'UP' and the 'DOWN' position. A 'momentary ON' toggle switch will not simply stay 'ON' it is spring loaded to return to the center 'OFF' position if you let go of it.
Then all you have to do is put the red wire (constant 12v+) on the center terminal, put the blue wire ('UP' to trigger the "UP' solenoid), and the green wire ('DOWN' to trigger the 'DOWN' solenoid) on the toggle respectively and you're done.
Tip of the day: If you visualize the toggle switch as 'OFF' at the center of a clock face and 'UP' you move the toggle towards 12 o'clock and 'DOWN' to 6 o'clock,...Just remember to put the respective Blue 'UP' solenoid wire on the back of the toggle switch at the 6 o'clock position and the Green 'DOWN' solenoid wire on the back of the toggle switch at the 12 o'clock position, because inside the toggle switch is like a teeter-totter.
Make sense???

Re:Trim/Tilt buttons 14 years 1 month ago #2586

Thanx for the reply Doc! And yes it all makes sense. In fact, I have the original set of TNT buttons on the dash along with a toggle switch attached to a 10' lanyard. I simply am holding the switch in my hand while steering and also the lanyard allows me to operate from the transom area when rigging (unloading/loading) from the trailer. Looking at the safety thing, I think I'm going with a set of switches on the wheel. This is what I want if I cant find a throttle mount. This ole boat has a tendency to act up, so having buttons readily available to get the nose up and down quickly is what I looking at. I have been looking around the internet and for the price of the switches/shipping, I can purchase locally at the Bass Pro the steering wheel set of switches. I'm planning on taking alook at them later today. Thanx again! Mike

Re:Trim/Tilt buttons 14 years 1 month ago #2690

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi,
I use the trim button set up Thom is refering to on both my 69 Switzer and 74 Hydrostream. It works great. They are Merc parts.
I came up with other solutuions prior to finding these.
A few alternatives to consider:
Foot actuated trim/tilt buttons. I bought one from Rex Marine and then made a custom mount for my switzer, it also worked fine and did not require stupid holes to be added to the dash or elsewhere.
Depending on your dash driving position it may be possible to mount the standard trim/tilt switch in the dash and the throttle on the side so your finger tips, with your hand on the throttle at nearly WOT position, can easily touch the up or down button.
You can fabricate a small bracket with momentary swithches that will attach to the trottle lever.
Trim and tilt buttons for the wheel are available to, Rex Marine has those too. It has the curly phone cord so it can wrap around the wheel as you turn it. Not too nice but works fine. Keep in mind you are going straight when going fast and trimming so it only wraps around when you are not in critical driving situations. This set up is also easily adapted to the throttle as well.
Randy

Re:Trim/Tilt buttons 14 years 1 month ago #2926

thanx for all the help! From our PowerCat sit, I was put onto site that I ordered a switch setup for $16 +$6 shipping. I got it 2 days later and it is the same switch that Bass Pro sells for $38. I have attached the site below, take alook and see all they have. later

www.lowcostboatingstore.com/

Re:Trim/Tilt buttons 14 years 1 month ago #2947

Mike, I looked quick at that site, I might have a few of those around. We'll see, if not, I'll order one!

Thanks man!

Frank

Re:Trim/Tilt buttons 14 years 4 weeks ago #3260

Has anybody ever come up with an easy/cheap way to
have a gauge indicator of the tilt/trim level?
I saw a neat one that are used by an afterplane
company that uses multiple LED's. As it goes up or
down more or fewer LED's are illuminated. They are
pretty expensive though. I have heard of some that
are "southern engineered" using a push/pull cable
attached to the motor and the other end clamped on
the dash with markings on the dash. Kind of a bar
gauge idea. Without a gauge you can trim out too
much and at speed get yourself in trouble real quick.
Danny Leger
Austin, Texas

Re:Trim/Tilt buttons 13 years 10 months ago #8446

• dpanky
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Attachments:

Re:Trim/Tilt buttons 13 years 10 months ago #8448

• dpanky
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
dpanky wrote:

Mike, T.H. Marine makes a power trim control in the throttle handle. It is part MT-1, no longer made. More readily available is the model EJ-1 for the Johnson/Evinrude. I just bought MT-1 on e-bay, since my old one broke and needed to be held in place with two stainless steel straps. Cost on e-bay with shipping was around $50. If anyone wants my old one free(including the straps) let me know.

Attachments:

Re:Trim/Tilt buttons 13 years 10 months ago #8449

Powercat

there is a mechanical nydahl racing trim indicator on ebay now that is cable actuated like you refer to

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300432881576&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6013 guests and 2 members online