Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Plugs for my 115 ?

Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 1 month ago #2458

Going to put in a new set of plugs for my 1985 115 IL6.....

NGK or other ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 1 month ago #2462

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Don, I won't install anything but NGK plugs in anything I own. I've worked in the parts business a long time, and tried several brands in the past. (Used to get samples for free when I was in purchasing!) I've never had an NGK plug fail plus the threads are rolled, not cut. This means less wear and tear on the threads in the engine, believe it or not.

I also recommend using a light dab of anti-seize compound on the threads before installing, just as a preventive measure. A minute to check the gap, and proper torque are also a very good idea.

Just my two cents.

Have you fired her up yet? I saw your earlier post, looks good.

Mark

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 1 month ago #2465

Don,

The OEM plug is NGK-BUHW

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 1 month ago #2467

Thanks.........Might try this weekend if my Merc guy is available. Good to have an experienced onlooker giving me instructions and checking everything out. I will need to remove the control cables to run them through the splashwell when installing it on the GT. I assume it is the throttle control box that the cables need to come out of to do this not the engine ones ?
Attachments:

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 1 month ago #2468

Fuel, throttle, ignition typically all come through that splashwell hole unless you have another one on the other side to share.

Disconnections at the motor end.

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 1 month ago #2528

Thanks for that info.........First time Merc guy so have to ask a bunch of questions....I don't like surprises !

What is the proper torque on the plugs ? Guess it is in my Seloc manual........

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 1 month ago #2537

Don
Where did you come across the nifty trim fitting for the steering cable?

lar

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 1 month ago #2541

That is actually a type of tube mount. It comes with the tube and bezel as a kit. You can buy them from places like west marine, overtons, etc.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/17500/377%20710%201727/7

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 1 month ago #2597

• MarkS
Torque on those plugs should be 20 ft lbs, or 1/4 turn past the gasket contacting the head.

Mark

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 1 month ago #2615

boatgeek wrote:

Don
Where did you come across the nifty trim fitting for the steering cable?

lar

That is the original stainless steel splaswell cable mount that was on the boat when I got it. I have not heard or have I seen another one like it. Somebody must have one. I used the old steeing tube and conected it to the new Teleflex steeering cable assy. The new tube would not fit the old mount.......So now it is back to original! The original hole cut out on the splashwell is smaller also than the new mounts require. I used all new mounts and cable on my '78 Manatee restoration
Attachments:

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 1 month ago #2616

• MarkS
Looking good on both boats, Don! You do nice work. I was stationed at Langley AFB for a while back in the day, remember going to Virginia Beach on the weekends. ("I was gone for a minute, but I'm back now." :silly: )

Mark

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 1 month ago #2621

MarkS wrote:

Looking good on both boats, Don! You do nice work. I was stationed at Langley AFB for a while back in the day, remember going to Virginia Beach on the weekends. ("I was gone for a minute, but I'm back now." :silly: )

I did a 1971 Beuhler Bolero - Thought you might like to take a look.........
Attachments:

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 1 month ago #2627

• MarkS
WOW factor 10! Now that is gorgeous, thanks. :cheer:

Mark

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 1 month ago #2638

MarkS wrote:

WOW factor 10! Now that is gorgeous, thanks. :cheer:

Yep, I agree.........Sold it a couple years back.....
Attachments:

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 1 month ago #2643

I've become a big fan of NGK's irridium plugs lately. Believe mine are #BR7HIX. Love em. Smoother low speed, less 'sputtering', possible relationship 'tween plugs & new best top speed, etc.

Nine bucks a pop at NAPA but I figure we're worth it ...
Attachments:

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 1 month ago #2652

Ordered the plugs - Will get them today..........Maybe get it started this week !

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2724

Glastron_GT160 wrote:

Don,

The OEM plug is NGK-BUHW

Got 'em..........
Attachments:

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2725

Top five plugs are easy to change. Bottom one, the lower cowling is in the way. I always use an adjustable wrench to break it loose. I remove and instal it by hand, then use the adjustable at the end to snug it up.

Good luck.

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2759

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
ngk.com
buhw $2.89 each plus shipping.

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2806

g3jim wrote:

ngk.com
buhw $2.89 each plus shipping.

Thanks for the info........Advance Auto Parts here in VA cost me 3.14 ea. including tax. Priced NGK.com. With UPS shipping would have been 4.57 ea.

Anyway, when I had the motor comp tested the guy, as I recall, did not ground the loose plug wires and since I am not a Merc mechanic I was wondering if that would cause any electrical problems ? I seem to remember reading that the plug wires were to be grounded to the block during the test. I want to put the gas to it this weekend.

Don
Attachments:

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2807

• MarkS
Don, hopefully he was spinning the motor over without energizing the ignition system. I sought advise here on this subject before doing the compression check on my 73 Johnson 115, and learned that it can be done that way with no damage. Can you test run (with cooling water supply) at home before heading to the lake?

PS- Good $ deal at advance, that's why they're my first choice when buying car parts, never thought of getting my boat stuff down there. (One duh for Mark) Thanks!

Mark

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2809

Used the start key on the throttle control box to turn it over. They were supposed to know what they were doing....So, do you think I have a possible problem ?

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2811

• MarkS
Not sure on your motor how the ign. system would be disabled. Sometimes a simple ground wire hooked to the right terminal can suffice, I'm still a rookie at this compared to most here. Did they hook up any jumper wires, or disconnect any wires on the motor before running the test? I would definitely get a set of "ear muffs" to run water to the motor and test it in the driveway before proceeding to the lake/river/whatever.

Mark

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2812

Thanks,

As I recall he did connect a jumper to the block on each cyl he was testing to see about good spark on the plug wire. One at a time as he was going from 1-2-3 etc. The pressure guage was in and the plug wire was grounded on each as he went down......At least one plug wire was grounded each time as we turned it over.... Does that make sense?

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2813

• MarkS
It's not the way I would go about it, but it may be okay. Like I said earlier, I'm no expert on this, still learning. I think you'll probably be alright, sincerely hope so. What kind of shop / mechanic was this?

You can pick up a set of ear muffs (flushing - test device that you connect a garden hose to) for under $10 at Wal-Mart or somewhere similar!

Gotta get ready for work, good luck Don.

Mark

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2814

I have an identical motor that I have just set the timing on as per the Merc manual & that involves removing all the plugs apart from no 1 & it doesn't say anything about grounding the remaining leads/plugs & I didn't do so. It runs fine still!! :laugh:

Geoff UK

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2815

"I feel so much better now that I have given up all hope" Just kidding...............I should be ok...Will put it to the test soon !

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2816

Fins
Thanks for the info and link
lar

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2820

Don,
On any of these solid state high output ignition systems like your adi system or a solid state distributor (trigger) system should definitely have the spark controlled with doing troubleshooting, compressions, etc.
Otherwise the ignition tries to throw a spark and if it can't reach ground it seeks the closest alternative and consequently you can end up with damaged switchboxes, etc.
If all (6) are still firing it is probably still just fine.
The adi system does NOT need 12v to activate it - it is self generating so beware that if the control harness is not connected to the engine or the key is 'ON' she might just start anyway if sparkplug wires are connected and the flywheel gets turned a bit.
Simply put,...Your Merc will start on a motor stand with no control harness attached if you simply turned the flywheel or prop.
I built a tool to control the arc of the plug wires while testing, etc.
It is a piece of flat-bar with (6) old sparkplugs welded to it.
I spread the gap so the spark could be easily seen. I ground the flat-bar to the engine block.
If you don't need spark while testing something the safe thing to do is to simply attach a jumper wire to the orange or black with yellow strip kill circuit terminal on the switchboxes and to engine ground. (some are orange - some are black with a yellow stripe. Whatever color wire that is going to the Mercury Safety switch is the circuit.
Thom

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2824

Don , one small thing with these i6's before you start changing plugs, stuff a rag down under #6 just in case you drop a plug , their a real pain in the a@# to get out if they fall in there . been there lol . Gil

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2870

boatgeek wrote:

Fins
Thanks for the info and link
lar

If you are looking for this .......
norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/1631150719.html

I have one I need to get rid of.....Don

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2876

Thom said "On any of these solid state high output ignition systems like your adi system or a solid state distributor (trigger) system should definitely have the spark controlled with doing troubleshooting, compressions, etc."

So I should have been controlling the spark when I timed my '84 115 then Thom? The Merc book just says to pull the leads off & remove the plugs, I will bear that in mind next time.

Geoff UK

Plugs for my my '63 1000 14 years 4 weeks ago #2903

I checked NGK's web site and came up with B7S. Unfortunately, they do not make it in iridium. They do for a 5 (colder) but not the 7. I don't think I'd want to run a colder plug would I? Anyways, I'm getting a set of the B7S for now.

This has been a great thread folks, thanks!

Frank

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 4 weeks ago #2945

• MarkS
Frank, I wouldn't change the heat range on the plugs just to go to iridium! The colder plugs will foul quicker, and could have a negative effect on performance as well. Just my two cents. :)

Mark

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2950

That is eggsackly how I feel Mark!

Frank

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2953

I do not believe that the 86 - 115 HP has a thermostat. So in certain areas where the water is " cold " the motor will run / idle with a cool block.
A " cold " spark plug will get rid of heat quicker ( relative to a hotter plug )as there is a shorter path to the block.
Top end performance is likely the same between a hot or colder plug.

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2968

Yup - no thermostat. According to the brown decals in the picture the motor is an '84 or '85 not an '86. See Here

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2974

Alacrity wrote:

Yup - no thermostat. According to the brown decals in the picture the motor is an '84 or '85 not an '86. See Here

I am sure my Merc is an '85...........

Tried to post pics of the tag not so good but looks like 1985.....

Attachments:

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 3 weeks ago #2981

Definitely a 1985 motor, as we've already discused, here: Re: Just brought home a 1974 GT-160

Doesn't matter though as I believe none of those late model inline 6's had a thermostat.

I'd be nervous running any other plug other than something Mercury recommended. These motors are susceptible to detontation and pre-ignition and over the years have had to be timed less-advanced to be reliable (especially on modern fuel). A hotter plug will increase this risk of pre-ignition, equivalent to advancing the timing. A risk I personally wouldn't choose to take.

p.s.

Don, I found the GT emblem, and will get it out to you asap.
Attachments:

Re:Plugs for my 115 ? 14 years 3 weeks ago #3000

• MarkS
I love it! Good advise, Chris.

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.348 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6105 guests and one member online