Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Progress on my '63 1000

Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 month ago #1708

I need to get this forum going I guess. :)

I posted this pic over on the "old" merc forum, but will start a thread here that will follow the progress of my painting and re-assembly. Having said that, I believe I will be without a camera this weekend, but probably won't have any really new stuff anyway. Whatever I do can wait till Monday to post.

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 month ago #1801

Looking REALLY GREAT Frank!
Thom

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 month ago #1803

Thanks Doc. Gave it a bit of touch-up with primer this a.m., will do 1st coat final color (black metallic) tomorrow a.m. Camera is with the little woman, she's over in VT for a skiing weekend.

Motor brackets all came out looking real good, a mix of red and silver metallic. All the exterior pieces will get a couple coats of clear too. Got the cowl and bonnet in 1st coat of clear this a.m.

Been playing with my PT&T pump, getting ready to put new o-rings in. Shoveling and snow got in the way. We've had a ton of wet heavy snow here this week. Needed a back break, so here I am.

Keep in touch!

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 month ago #1832

just wanted to jump in to on the new board and say your gaining on it !

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 1 month ago #1835

Thanks King! Good to see ya nosin around.

Got my new o-rings in the trim pump today, now trying to figure out how the solenoids mount. Jeez, I'm gonna have to clean and paint that bracket too I guess!

Frank

Paint as of 2/28/2010 14 years 1 month ago #1878

Bonnet & big cowl are done. Small cowl needs one more coat of clear. Brackets are done. First coat of finish on LU. May not have enough paint to do 2nd coat on LU tomorrow, so if not, Tuesday a.m.

May work on my trim wiring today if my back calms down. Too much heavy wet snow to move. Not fun.

Frank

Attachments:

2nd coat final color lower unit 14 years 3 weeks ago #1903

Look any different? Sure does to me, but I'm not sure the pic reflects the change...

Frank
Attachments:

Re:2nd coat final color lower unit 14 years 3 weeks ago #1937

Frank,
What color is that? Is it a black metallic or a charcoal? Looks good whatever it is!

Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #1946

Good morning Doug,

It is Rustoleum #7250 Black Night Metallic. The silver and red metallics I'm using, as well as the clear, are Dupli-color. I like Dupli-color cause I can get it at NAPA, but they don't have a black metallic in that line. I get the black metallic at Home Depot.

3rd coat this a.m. on the LU and it's ready for two or three coats of clear.

Frank
Attachments:

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #1991

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
That thing is looking great. I like the fact your using Rustoelum. That motor is going to look great and this thread gives me ideas about painting a motor I have. Its only a 90's 40 johny shorty but its rough looking.
Keep up the hard work Frank, Mike B

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2006

Thanks Mike. Pretty much everything is done, but I screwed up on a couple things this a.m., may put off assembly for a week. Got a run on my LU first coat of clear, then trying to fix it messed it up more. Should have just waited for it to dry, would have been an easier fix. No biggie.

Otherwise, everything looks great.

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2188

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
'evening Frank, how's the tower of power coming along?

Mark

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2198

Third coat of clear this a.m. on everything Mark (except the cowl and bonnet - they've been done a while) and then later today or tomorrow a.m. start re-assembly. Been a long haul, but glad it's almost done. Pics soon.

Then I need to start clearing the garage out for a temporary switch over to a paint booth to get the deck done. Gonna buy a hvlp gun and figure out how to spray primer & paint. Got a to do list now:

Clear coat motor parts
Assemble motor
Integrate power trim & tilt
Box top lip on the hull on the starboard bow needs to be rebuilt
Deck port side needs more work (not flat enough)
At least two more coats of primer, then two or three (?) top coats
Attach deck to hull with new rub rail and fasteners
Glass interior seam
Install motor and controls
Install cleats and lights
Run wiring
Install seats

Hmmmmm.

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2202

• MarkS
I know you'll be glad to move back outside to working on the PC, but that Merc is going to knock some eyes out man. How you gonna get that joker out of your basement? (Don't want you having back problems again!) Garage clean-up has got to be first on my list, I'm pretty sure the Starflite is under the biggest pile in the middle. :unsure:

I don't envy you the fiberglass work ahead, but ignorance breed fear. If I do get to keep the Cutter (medical bills not helping my side on wife's argument to sell), I'll have to self-tutor the new skill, so I'm really looking forward to watching your progress.

I think you're making great headway, and we all appreciate your sharing the process here. Anxious to see the results with the new hvlp gun, makes good sense to me. ;)

Mark

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2204

Top of the morning to ya Mark!

Once the deck gets painted, the PC moves back outside for most all the other stuff. The garage can be put back in its current state, but I can still just barely get the PC in. Because the boat is so wide, the trailer tires scrape going through my garage door. I can't even do that if the fenders are on the trailer. Kind of a problem.

The merc is on a rolling stand, I have a lift ring for it, and an engine hoist, so moving that baby around and in position on the PC is not too tough.

Fiberglass work is never fun, but it has to get done. I've already done plenty on this boat. Thankfully it is not rocket science.

Would selling the Cutter really make any dent in your medical bills? You guys have to figure that out, but I can't imagine selling an old boat (for what you'd get) to pay off medical bills. Good luck Mark!

Coffee is ready. Off I go!

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2207

• MarkS
Good point partner, I'll run that one up the flagpole today!

Mark

Pics of new paint in sunlight 14 years 3 weeks ago #2218

Just stripped all the tape, newspapers, and paper towels from stuff that was being protected, assembled the bonnet, held the cowl on with electrical cord (latches aren't ready just yet - tomorrow) and rolled the motor out to the edge of my south facing garage to see how she looks in sunlight. I don't have the face shield done yet, but this gives you an idea of where I am. Next I will start re-assembling the motor brackets with the starter, solenoid and new coils. Got more snow to shovel.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2225

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
wow,I hope when I do that to my motor It looks so good. I like it :) Frank, nicely done. I cant wait to see it on a boat. What's it going on????Mike

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2226

Thanks Mike. Just a lot of prep, that's about it. Painting is easy.

It's going on my '62 Power Cat 14T. Here's my Power Cat web page that Danny Leger (son of the Power Cat designer and builder) keeps up for a bunch of us Power Cat'ers:

www.powercatboat.com/Group/FA_14t/FA_14t01.html

I'm in great hopes the 14T will be done by June. We'll see.

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2240

When you get thar new spray gun drag it on over and I will give you some lessons on it !

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2251

Don't know when that will be. No spare cash between now and April 15. Guess why.

Frank

Little set-back 14 years 3 weeks ago #2252

Got everything out to start re-assembly, ran into a little problem. I had 2 of these motors, same year, same model, and to make a long story short, only one of the 2 solenoid brackets I have (even though they look the same) works with my good starter. Guess which one I painted? You guessed it. So it will be a few more days till I get my starter & solenoid brackets on.

What is this little thing circled in the first pic? It's about 3/4" wide, and I think goes inside the bonnet maybe?

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2254

looks like the link for the manual choke.

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2255

• MarkS
I agree Dave, the end with the 90 degree bend looks just like where the choke knob link comes down from the top bonnet on my 700, the rod from the carbs goes thru the hole and gets cotter pinned. I'm not familiar with what the other end looks like, never took that part apart tho.....

PS She is looking FINE, Frank!

Update on NOT selling Cutter - I'm getting at least a temporary reprieve. My boss is going to submit the medicals to workman's comp since it DID happen at work, I did give up a beautiful Saturday to ride with her to visit her mother (causing much discomfort to my tender groin), and the analogy of keeping my first 'Glassic similar to keeping one's first car may just do it! I'm a happy boy, I'm a happy happy boy! :lol:

Mark

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2266

Thanks Mike. Just came up from spraying a bit of primer on the chrome piece that goes on the bonnet and the correct solenoid bracket. Two coats will do it. Then I'm going to experiment a bit with some chrome paint on that bonnet piece, see what happens. If I don't like it, I'll do it in silver metallic.

Yes, both you and Dave are correct, that is a choke piece. Dave called last night and jarred my memory. Once the paint fumes settle, I'll go install that little do-hickey.

If there is no question that hernia occurred at work Mark, it IS worker's comp, no question. Usually the only question is: did it occur in the regular course of your job during working hours? Trust me, I've been there. I can also tell you the docs and medical billers won't like it much, because in general workers comp does NOT pay like the blood they would have got out of you if it wasn't workers comp. Good luck!

Frank

Under the cowl DONE! 14 years 3 weeks ago #2290

Came out okay folks.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2291

• MarkS
Absolutely gorgeous Frank, I love it. I promise you there isn't another one in the world that color scheme. (Although there may be soon.) Nice work buddy!

Mark

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2292

Thanks Mark. As anybody knows that's been following along, I painted this the way I wanted to, I was NOT trying to restore it. It's mine and I can do what I want.

I'm done for the day. Back is problematic. Wish I could call that a workers comp thing. Someday it may get me disability for social security, the only problem being I really won't be able to do anything.

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2293

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
looks good from here Frank. Best of all it is going to look good on your boat. Nice work
J

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2294

Thanks Jim. I'm a little doozey from paint fumes. I better have a beer.

You can check it out when you come over. I hope all is well with the in-laws.

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2296

Looks great Frank... very custom.

Next time you have those carbs off, I'd recommend polishing them up. It would compliment your flashy color scheme. Not too hard to the back, especially if you have a buffing wheel. Purely cosmetic, but I like bling..lol

An example of my 3.9hp carb before/after attached for reference.

:cheer:

Attachments:

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2301

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thats very detailed Frank. It looks so clean, it really highlights the motor.

Hey gt160, those polished carbs look good, great idea, Mike

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2302

Thanks Chris & Mike. I appreciate it.

Good idea on the carbs Chris. Same thing could be done with the fuel pumps couldn't it?

I never thought I'd be doing this, so back when I had these motors apart, polishing anything didn't seem to make much sense. Now, I have another whole set of carbs (and fuel pumps) that I could play around with - after this boat is done & I'm on the water!

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2305

Its addicting Frank. On my 115 Merc I polished every bolt head on the motor, the large aluminum plate -hidden- behind the electronics, and the brass fuel enrichment solenoid, and.... lol

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 3 weeks ago #2323

PC1000 wrote:

Don't know when that will be. No spare cash between now and April 15. Guess why.

Frank

Well, if you're heading up this way, maybe I can borrow my BIL's HVLP for you to use. Better yet, just bring the boat up here and I'll volunteer his services for you. LOL

Seriously, it you're interested, I'm sure we could work it out.

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 2 weeks ago #2326

Thanks for the offer Dave. That was a decision from the Minister of Finance (you know her as Gail).

While waiting for dinner last night, she informs me of a major discretionary purchase she made over the web yesterday afternoon. "I thought we couldn't spend any $ till the taxes got paid?" I asked. Apparently there was a waiver in this case. "Well, couldn't I get a waiver for the stuff I need to paint the boat?"

So looks like all I need is more snow to melt so I can get at the Power Cat, and soon as we get some reasonable temps, hopefully before mid-April, I can get going on the deck. I don't believe it will take long to get it painted, it's all the other stuff that needs to get done that is somewhat daunting. All I can do is one thing at a time.

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 2 weeks ago #2365

Good news Frank,(on the funds).

I know it's a long way to drive for a paint job, but those guns can run over two bills for a good one like my brother in law has. He also has the experience, and he owes me.

Offer is still there if you change your mind.

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 2 weeks ago #2368

• MarkS
After seeing that pile of snow you've been working on, (think it was on the PowerCat photo gallery you posted), I'm thinking flame thrower as your Christmas present next year! Bless your heart.

Mark

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 2 weeks ago #2369

Thanks Dave, but you're right, that is a long way to go for a paint job buddy. I got folks around here that have offered the same. I need to learn how to spray paint, as I have future projects that would greatly benefit from it.

Frank

Re:Progress on my '63 1000 14 years 2 weeks ago #2411

Frank, looks fantastic! Nice work man.

Oddly enough, I knew what paint you had used before you even showed the can. My valve covers are painted in that stuff. It is very durable with the clearcoat over it. I had an exhaust leak that was blowing directly onto the paint and it didn't destroy it just discolored.

You answered a question for me too, is rustoleum good enough for a boat motor...

I say yes!

Evan

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.357 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)