Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bearing Sizes / Undersize Mercury bearings?

Bearing Sizes / Undersize Mercury bearings? 4 years 6 months ago #141201

I am rebuilding a Merc 500 Serial number 1599010. Having purchased bearings from two reliable sources I'm still having problems. I have put a micrometer across the new bearings and they are definitely imperial, although not genuine Mecury parts. However they will not fit properly. I fitted one of the needle roller bearings to the reverse gear but it was tight going in and once in I could not fit the shaft. Having measured the original bearings they are between 003" and 005" undersize. Is this common practice by Mercury to prevent anyone fitting non genuine parts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bearing Sizes / Undersize Mercury bearings? 4 years 6 months ago #141202

they are precision ground bearings. military specs. and yes a few thousands smaller. you have 2 choices get your bearing with GB prefix or machine the gear out a few thousands.

Bearing Sizes / Undersize Mercury bearings? 4 years 5 months ago #141232

Hi Dave

Many thanks for the info. I decided to get GB bearings rather than try and hold the gears in the lathe. I presume this only applies to the needle roller bearings (including drive shaft) and not to the ball or taper roller bearings.

Bearing Sizes / Undersize Mercury bearings? 4 years 5 months ago #141235

I think only needle bearing and not all of them. check on the bearing for ####'s.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8269 guests and 2 members online