Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dyna want to come apart

Dyna want to come apart 7 years 1 month ago #130250

Hi

I'm stripping down my 1963 50HP Merc and have got to the point of removing the drive shaft housing. Unfortunately the Dyna Float lower cover bolts are seized solid. I suspect the upper ones are too.

I'm reluctant to use any heat for fear of damaging the rubber bushes. Can these bushes be obtained anywhere? I've looked on Ebay Oldmercs.com and JohnsOldMercurySite.com but have not found any.

I would prefer to replace the bushes rather than have to drill out the bolts and re-tap.

My wife Jan can't see the problem. She said "I've been in and out of salt water since 1952, and I haven't seized up"

I refrained from any comments referring to regular, screw, lubrication or the engine only being screwed once in 54 years etc. Otherwise I might feel the heat!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Dyna want to come apart 7 years 1 month ago #130252

try seaway. if you have the part ##### ask your dealer if he does not have them ask him to look on the NOS site and see if another dealer has them . I have had good luck with this method. also try Joe Poole.

Re:Dyna want to come apart 7 years 1 month ago #130280

Hello, I have sent you an e-mail through this site, as we do have much of the upper motor mount parts on hand, and we should be able to help with the lower mounts as well.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Dyna want to come apart 7 years 1 month ago #130294

I was able to get new upper and lower mounts for my '60 800 from Joe Poole. The bolts for the mounts, another story. Milled off the bolt heads, popped off the broken mount covers, drilled out the remainder of the bolts on the lower mounts, and drilled out the bolts on the upper mounts. I was able to bolt the midsection on the table of a vertical mill so the bolts could be drilled out with some reasonable accuracy. A very PITA task.
Larry

Re:Dyna want to come apart 7 years 1 month ago #130529

Thanks Dave, Joe and Larry for the replies.

Joe I got your email and I may be coming to you for the mounts. So far the mounts that I've removed are all in good condition.

Despite my best efforts the bolts holding the bottom covers sheered except one. I will follow your advise Larry as I know someone with a mill who can drill them out for me. Luckily it was one of the blind bolts that came out so that we know how long they are and will know how deep to drill. The top mounts are proving equally difficult to get out and I've had to drill the heads off a couple of the screws. There's one more top mount to come out. There was some corrosion on the heads of the bottom bolts.

I've started work on the lower unit but I'm having similar problems as the lower pump housing is held fast by the close tolerance of the studs and the gasket sealant. The sealant is similar to a product that used to be available in the UK call 'Red Hermatite' I don't know if this is original or if it's been applied later.

I'll post a new thread about the pump.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)