• Page:

TOPIC: vintage racemotor

vintage racemotor 7 years 5 months ago #128446

• boatmaniac
  • boatmaniac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
What model is the motor that looks like a Twister but has only 4 Tillotson carbs instead of 6 ?

The powerhead looks pretty much like the 650XS and the midsection like the first Twister.

Thanks, Taco.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: vintage racemotor 7 years 5 months ago #128454

Merc never made a inline with 4 carbs like a t2x. They made the 650x and 700x with the short 12 in mid but they are 3 carb. Essentially half a t2x.

Now some guys cut down a t 2x into a 4 cyl and raced it with 4 carbs but it was not made by merc.

Re: vintage racemotor 7 years 5 months ago #128484

"Now some guys cut down a t 2x into a 4 cyl and raced it with 4 carbs but it was not made by merc."

Like,...This!!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
It bolts onto an 800 or 850 4 cyl.
doc
Attachments:

Re: vintage racemotor 7 years 5 months ago #128555

Thom was this made from a cut down T2x intake or was it cast as a 4 cyl intake ?

Re: vintage racemotor 7 years 5 months ago #128561

"Thom was this made from a cut down T2x intake or was it cast as a 4 cyl intake?"

I 'think' it is a very well done chop job from a 6 to a 4, but was it done by Mercury Racing or someone,...I don't know.
I found it in a large collection of old outboard racing and outboard motors & parts in the estate sale of a gent that may have obtained it from a Mercury Racing engineer or who knows.
It was very difficult to find where it may have been sectioned. No visible welds. but a very fine line visible from the inside surface.
I passed it on in some horse-trading to a good friend and collector located in British Columbia, Canada.
I am attaching some pictures of just a few of the goodies in the estate sale.
They built the building just to get everything out of storage, rented buildings, shacks, and put them into one place to organize the stuff.
doc

Re:vintage racemotor 7 years 5 months ago #128578

• boatmaniac
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
With the help of a friend i finally succeed to download a picture of the motor i was talking about. Since i have not purchased it yet I do not want to spread to many rumours about a collection of many racing outboards for sale. Many of the motors i could "indentify" but this one is a "mystery" to me. { Or just a cut down twister } but still very interesting.

Taco
Attachments:

Re:vintage racemotor 7 years 5 months ago #128591

Lots of treasure in that barn, Doc! Is that a Hemi I spy hiding behind the Ford small block?

Re:vintage racemotor 7 years 5 months ago #128619

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Oh my gosh there just seems to be an endless supply of this old "rare" stuff !!!! Long live the hoarder!...
Of which I am one! That 4 must have been done for a particular class where Merc must have decided it was not worth the effort?? Maybe run against the three cyl OMC's ? Or a possible APBA speed record attempt at the 66 cu in motor size?
Randy

Re:vintage racemotor 7 years 5 months ago #128834

Taco,

It looks to be an aftermarket Bonneville or Parker short midsection with a big 4cylder merc on top and a Speedster on the bottom.

Its hard to tell exactly which mid it is from that photo. But it is a motor put together outside of Mercury marine .

Ive seen a few other photos of motors put together like that.

Conrad

Re:vintage racemotor 7 years 5 months ago #128858

• boatmaniac
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Conrad,

As far as i know the motor was run at a time in Europe on a Molinari boat. I hope to purchase some of the motors that come available soon. If i succeed there will be a lot to talk about.

Taco.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)