Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: merc 400 info needed

merc 400 info needed 7 years 6 months ago #127987

I am going to an auction this Friday to check out and maybe buy a skee-craft runabout with a merc 400.I am not very familiar with older mercs.Is this a dockbuster?Does it have electric start?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: merc 400 info needed 7 years 6 months ago #127990

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
A Merc 400 would have a shift-able lower unit, not a Direct Reversing model.

These motors came with or without electric start; if you are able to pull the "wrap" off of the powerhead, it'll be readily apparent if there's a starter.

If the flywheel has no teeth on its circumference, and no starter is mounted on the Stbd side of the engine, you're gonna be pulling to start.

Not that bad of a thing on these, they are very easy to start. I ran an entire season pull-starting my $25.00 MK58A on an old wooden ski boat. It always started with a few pulls on the recoil starter, and ran flawlessly.

They really are good old motors and the Inline Four was one of the best designs Merc ever built.

Here's an info page on the "400" model:

store.oldmercs.com/category_s/803.htm

You'll note the electrical connector on the Stbd side of the lower cowling. That will not be present on a manual-start model.

If it is electric-start and the remote controls & electrical harness comes with, that's a plus!

G'luck at the auction.......ed

Re: merc 400 info needed 7 years 6 months ago #128011

ed-mc Thanks for the info. It will make it easy to i.d. I really don't need another boat,but its hard to pass up a good deal.It all depends on how many bidders there are,and how bad they want it.Thanks again.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6907 guests and no members online