Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Merc 110 w/stator issues - worth it for $50??

Merc 110 w/stator issues - worth it for $50?? 7 years 6 months ago #127314

• 63LStriton
  • 63LStriton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Ran across the following - madison.craigslist.org/bpo/5773877798.html

are the stator's hard to source, and would it be worth buying to resell after fixing? Ebay has a bunch of them under $100, but I don't have the serial number range for this motor.

update -
Per an email from the seller, serial # is 2845356. Looking on Marineengine, I can get one for $284. not.... At least I have the part numbers, but the news doesn't look much better on eBay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Re: Merc 110 w/stator issues - worth it for $50?? 7 years 6 months ago #127360

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
You might be able to retrofit the ign system to points/coils like your old 110. I think the standard-ign parts from a '68 "110" or "75" would fit.

The elex. ign. found on the red-stripe motors (starting '69 IIRC) has a one-piece "ring" stator that's non-repairable and as you found, quite expensive.

Note that sometimes the problem is NOT the stator, and is in fact bad insulator blocks on the points. They're not extremely expensive and you never know. Another issue on these is that the ign kill wire is always grounded at the kill switch, which is normally closed (opposite of modern-day kill switches, which ground the ign to kill it).

So, if the kill wire is busted or the pushbutton kill switch is dirty, it won't spark.

Anyone who doesn't know about these issues could diagnose a faulty stator that ain't. But whether it's worth rolling the dice based on that is up to you.

Cheap enough that it'd be good for parts, in any case.

Re: Merc 110 w/stator issues - worth it for $50?? 7 years 6 months ago #127572

No brainer for 50 bucks, worth that in scrap. Part it out if you can't fix it, lots of folks looking for bits for these.

Re: Merc 110 w/stator issues - worth it for $50?? 7 years 6 months ago #127573

No brainer for 50 bucks, worth that in scrap. Part it out if you can't fix it, lots of folks looking for bits for these.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8272 guests and 4 members online