• Page:

TOPIC: Help ID a late model 50 and 80

Help ID a late model 50 and 80 7 years 7 months ago #127089

• cosmic12
  • cosmic12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Merc guys, I am thinking this might be a dumb question but I am not sure what to do. I picked up a complete 50 that a guy kinda got screwed over by a marina. They just kept telling him he needed parts after parts, he was trying to fix it himself and they sold him a complete wiring harness with the brain/control unit (for lack of a proper term) every wire on it brand new. A new set of carbs. Just about anything that bolted on the outside of the engine. A guy we know sent him to me. He told me the story and said it had no power but would run fine just putting around. I felt sorry for him about the screwing he got and asked if they or him did a compression test?
Nope never did. I did and found 2 dead cyl's. He asked me if I would follow him to the lake so he could unbolt it and drop it and tow him back. I said no can't do that and that he could sell all the new parts atleast. He was so upset that he just wanted it gone out of his life. He asked if I would give him $50.00 for it and like a dummy I did. So I am stuck with a lot of new parts but nothing to put them on.
So 1st off I can't find a tag on it to figure out the year, any ideas? 2nd, what other engines could I use the parts on? I found a nice 80 with trim that is the same color stripe's but the guy has no idea what year it is and won't send me a tag number. What can I do with it? will these parts work on the 80? I would really like the 80 for my Grumman. Here is a pic of the 50, the 80 looks the same but I have no pic's of it. Strpe's are 2 tone light blue with red numbers. Idea's I am thinking mid 80's?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Help ID a late model 50 and 80 7 years 7 months ago #127099

It strongly appears to be a 1980-83 model. The serial number plate can be seen in the first picture, but is a little covered by the control cables.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Help ID a late model 50 and 80 7 years 7 months ago #127104

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Mt 1983 Merc 200 V-6 had those stripes. '84 went to brown stripes...can't be sure what '83 or '82 stripes look like. However, there are a couple of places that sell the replacements stripes, so a possible google search and search of their inventory and you likely can get the year (provided the motor was not messed with). Since there are so many good 50hp motors out there, maybe you get lucky and find one with damaged LU and good running motor to make one good motor?? and sell the parts (or get one running and sell everything if you want to get a few more dollars out for your time. You know better than anyone what you may want to do. Sorry I am not mechanical enough to tell you what you really wanted to know about possible cross sharing of newer parts. Best wishes and nice looking motor.

Dr.Go!

Re:Help ID a late model 50 and 80 7 years 7 months ago #127146

Fifty bucks for a 80's 500 is the steal of the century, that thing has a ton of good salvage if you decide to go that route, you did very well indeed! I would open up the powerhead and see if you can fix what's wrong, that's a very good engine and well worth saving in my opinion. Wish I could find deals like that! On the other side however, that dealer who worked on it previously should be publicly flogged.

Re:Help ID a late model 50 and 80 7 years 7 months ago #127175

• cosmic12
  • cosmic12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
gfgarland wrote:

Fifty bucks for a 80's 500 is the steal of the century, that thing has a ton of good salvage if you decide to go that route, you did very well indeed! I would open up the powerhead and see if you can fix what's wrong, that's a very good engine and well worth saving in my opinion. Wish I could find deals like that! On the other side however, that dealer who worked on it previously should be publicly flogged.

Yes that dealer should be run out of town for sure, this isn't the 1st time and I am sure won't be the last. Those of us in the know always warn people about them as much as we can.
There is a ton of new parts and I got a few of the original's that are probly still good. I feel very bad for him and didn't want to take advantage of the situation but he wanted to just dump it overboard out of pure frustration so I gave him what he asked.

I have searched and I believe its a 83. The 80hp I am looking at has pwr/trim and appears to be a 83 also. Both 4cyl. and just would like to know if the electrical parts would work on it from the 50. The 1967 65hp on my Grumman just isn't enough and the trim would be great also. Just trying to as they say(whoever they are)kill 2 birds with one stone.

Re:Help ID a late model 50 and 80 7 years 7 months ago #127201

"The 80hp I am looking at has pwr/trim and appears to be a 83 also. Both 4cyl. and just would like to know if the electrical parts would work on it from the 50."

It looks possible that the stator from the '80s 80HP, MIGHT work on the '80s 50HP,...BUT
You are going to have to provide the serial number for the 50, as there were several styles of stators used.
The OEM part numbers don't match on the stators, but the after-market CDI-electronics stator part number is the same for both IF you have the right serial number group.
The switchbox part number is the same for both the 50 & the 80.
The trigger assemblies don't cross - probably a difference in the shape of the link connecting to the throttle linkage.

If you can not read the serial number on the tag highlighted in the attached picture, let us know and I'll check a block and see where the welch plug is located that also has the serial number stamped into it.
doc
Attachments:

Re:Help ID a late model 50 and 80 7 years 7 months ago #127203

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
The 80hp and 50hp use the same switchbox and stator. The powerhead parts of course won't mix, nor will the lower units. The trigger assy's may also be interchangeable. So if you can get the 80hp cheap enough, it'd be a good deal if even only for parts.

BTW that PT&T setup on the 80hp is worth quite a bit, especially if it has the pump, all the hoses, and good rams. It would even work on the 50hp since it already has the yoke with shocks.

And I would venture the 50hp is probably repairable, you should pull down the powerhead for an inspection and see what you've got. Lots of parts motors on Craigslist, and oodles of internal parts for that motor can be found on eBay.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)