Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960 Mercury Kiekhaefer 50 HP

1960 Mercury Kiekhaefer 50 HP 7 years 8 months ago #124888

For sale near me is a white Merc 50HP. I don't know if it's special, don't know what kiekhafer means :) It's being sold with harness and controls, no he won't part it out. Runs great and has the factory tag. All this for $800.00 Canadian. Knock of 1/3 for USD. It's listed on Kijiji Canada, Brantford area, boats, trailer and acc. If it's worth it and you need help getting it let me know. Mark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Re:1960 Mercury Kiekhaefer 50 HP 7 years 8 months ago #125039

Eight bills is about twice it's value for a very clean one, but this one looks plenty rough, more like $175-200. The engine is not a 1960 however more like a 61, and he has drilled the cavitation plate for a whale tail which devalues the engine even more. Sorry, but unless he drastically reduces the price, I would pass.

Re:1960 Mercury Kiekhaefer 50 HP 7 years 8 months ago #125047

I'll have to remember all that when I go shopping for a 100HP. I love the look of these motors but I have no idea what they are worth, I just thought they were pretty rare. Looks like my budget won't take as big a hit as I thought. Thanks :)

Re:1960 Mercury Kiekhaefer 50 HP 7 years 8 months ago #125059

You have buy with the head not the heart. Most of these old engines are going to need an overhaul because of age, and that is if they have not been abused. If you did the work yourself, including paint, the price can easily run to a G note or more just for parts and materials, and then you have to find them as well. This can be the hardest part as a lot of stuff is no longer being produced and will have to be hunted down. There are still a few dealers with NOS parts but it is thinning out, and most good stuff is in the US which means shipping and crippling exchange prices on everything sent to Canada. Not trying to put a damper on anyone's enthusiasm but you have to be realistic and know what is ahead when you take on a resto project like an old Merc outboard. There is a definite process with these things and done properly there is no greater reward. But don't think you can take and old barn find, clean it up and go boating with confidence. Not by a damn sight.

Re:1960 Mercury Kiekhaefer 50 HP 7 years 8 months ago #125066

I know, I've been doing it with a 1960 Evinrude Super Quiet Big Twin 40HP for the last month. She's running now and off to the lake next weekend. It wasn't a barn find. It was outside the barn. But it was properly put away and just required a new impeller, carb kit, fuel lines, plugs, and a few screws. The Merc I want is for next year's project and by then I will have read every post here relating to them. The G-3 has to wait but this old Humber is good to go after 4 years as a lawn ornament.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6040 guests and one member online