Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 57' Mark75 finally running good

57' Mark75 finally running good 7 years 11 months ago #121906

Well after over a year of fighting all of the small bugs out of the Mark75, i am happy to report that she finally seems to be running great.

I launched the boat last night and it ran like a watch. Next order of business is to re-prop her. I dont have a tach, but it seems to be turning an awful lot of rpms at top end, and top speed is only about 35 on a 14' boat.

The motor currently has a 13" pitch Michigan wheel prop (boat is only 14'long). I'm thinking a 15" or 16" (if i can find one) would suit the boat much better. Any other suggestions?

Here is a video of it planing the boat last night B)

Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 57' Mark75 finally running good 7 years 11 months ago #121911

put a tach and find out the RPM's the you can get the right one right away.

Re: 57' Mark75 finally running good 7 years 11 months ago #121915

Thanks Dave.

What should WOT RPM be?

Also, are there any tach kits that will work and arent worth their weight in gold?

Scott

Re: 57' Mark75 finally running good 7 years 11 months ago #121916

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
5500rpm ain't gonna hurt the beast! It's probably doing close to that already, perhaps a bit more. A 15"-pitch prop would lessen the hole shot a bit but unless you're water skiing with it, it'd be a better choice.

My old 700 Dockbuster on a 13' Sea King runabout would do 35mph with a prop that would rip a slalom skier right off the beach.

BTW an automotive tach, set on 6-cylinders, and connected to one ign coil, will give you an accurate reading. You might find a cheap tach on Craigslist or even have an old one kicking around. Just temporarily connect it for a quick rpm reading and then do a permanent installation later, if you so desire.

Nice video, she sounds purty good!........ed

Re: 57' Mark75 finally running good 7 years 11 months ago #121920

even 5600 is good ## to shoot for. for each inch pitch change look for 200-300 rpm change. to bring the # down go up in pitch to bring it up go down in pitch. rule of thumb.

Re: 57' Mark75 finally running good 7 years 11 months ago #121937

I'll try an see what LR DR props I have tomorrow.
I went out and looked at the pile today, but forgot what I was looking.
I have this tagged for the AM.
Life on Morphine sucks.
You young fellows need to take care of your spine and related issues.
Taking an enraged 2010 Senior Line-Backer into custody when his emotions are blinding rationality can really ruin the 'Golden Years'.
SIGH
:(
doc

Re: 57' Mark75 finally running good 7 years 11 months ago #121940

Thanks to all for the great info!

I think i have an old auto tach laying around i will wire up for the next time i bring the ol girl out. Ill keep everyone posted on what i find out for the RPM.

I actually live about 15 minutes from Michigan Wheel company, maybe i will stop in and see what they have if Doc doesnt have one he will sell.

Scott

Re: 57' Mark75 finally running good 7 years 11 months ago #121955

I'll try and get some help moving things out of the way so I can see what pitch props are in the pile.
Sorry about the delay.
doc
Attachments:

Re: 57' Mark75 finally running good 7 years 11 months ago #121964

Okay,...Here ya go:
I wrote the diameter and pitch on all the Mk 75-78 props I have.
I couldn't find the cross reference for the (2) Michigan props, but I'm pretty sure I have the stamped numbers correct.
One prop in the pile suggests that it started life as a 13P, but 'might have been' modified to a 17P, which would probably make it very desirable.
Based on this suspicion,...That one will cost you $100 + postage with no guarantee it is a 17P.
The others,...Or any other LH DR prop I have - whether through prop exhaust or earlier style - as you are hunting - are $50 plus actual postage.
doc F
Attachments:

Re: 57' Mark75 finally running good 7 years 11 months ago #121968

Thanks doc. I really appreciate it!

Let me hook up my Tach to see what RPM i am running now, so i know about what pitch i will need. Looks like you have (1) 15" pitch prop in the pile.... Im thinking that will be right, but ill let you know after i water test with a tach.

Thanks again!
Scott

Re:57' Mark75 finally running good 7 years 11 months ago #121976

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Listening to it sounds a little high on R's too. Does come out the hole nice though! I think maybe the 15 might be a good choice but you can figure if that, or the 17. I can't tell from Docs pic if they is any cup on either, but add some cup to the 15 maybe?
Ya really gotta hook a tach up to see where ya at. GOOD LUCK and motor does sound "sweet"!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7624 guests and no members online