• Page:

TOPIC: Mercury 20hp Serial number

Mercury 20hp Serial number 7 years 11 months ago #121859

• 55bigtwin
  • 55bigtwin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, been a while, but I recently drug home another old boat. '63 Alumacraft 16' with a newer 20hp Merc. The only serial number I found so far is on the left side of the mounting bracket, #51834xx. I tried typing it into an online parts outlet, and came back 'Not Found'...Is there another # somewhere, or...??? Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Mercury 20hp Serial number 7 years 11 months ago #121873

That engine is a 1978, according to that serial number. Good engine.

Re: Mercury 20hp Serial number 7 years 11 months ago #122118

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
...Thank You very much for the reply. That's about what I figured, the guy I got it from thought it was early 1990's... I have not tried to start it yet, but I've discovered that the L/U drain plug was missing, and it does not shift into reverse. I got a new plug, filled it, and tried pulling the cord while trying to engage the shifter but, won't go into rev. I did have the throttle on low... Do you know if there are any common shift issues, with these units? Or what to check first? Thanks

Re: Mercury 20hp Serial number 7 years 11 months ago #122164

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Update...I fired it up yesterday, and I did get it to shift into Reverse, while it was running.... It probably ran for a couple minutes, before water began coming out the port, after several minutes, water stopped coming out...I will get a new impeller....

Re:Mercury 20hp Serial number 7 years 11 months ago #122166

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I have a 1978. Your stripe package looks like a 1979. I think there were 3 years in a row that the motors were unchanged inside. Mine always struggled to shift into reverse when sitting and not running, but no problem when running. It did that from day one. I bought mine new as a last year leftover sitting next to the new 79's. Saved me about $80 back in high school, so that helped me buy other things. Great motor for me and still use mine today! Initial use was on my hand build wooden 8' Glen-L Marine Tiny Titan 3-point hydroplane. It ran 47mph with a double pitched, doubled cupped factory 2-blade (since the boat only weighed 87 pounds and motor was 94 pounds, it over-rev'd until I got the prop re-worked). I am 6'4" and was 185 pounds, so that was not bad for having a Gorilla in the boat. My brother could get 50mph out of it. It now chases fish on a 1956 Starcraft shallow sided 14'. Moves pretty well. Enjoy your motor!

Dr.Go!

Re:Mercury 20hp Serial number 7 years 11 months ago #122180

• 55bigtwin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the reply, the '63 Alumacraft, that this motor came with is a 15" transom, and according to the tag will hold up to a 60hp, (I can't imagine that). But I have a couple 35hp BigTwin's with short shaft and tiller, one of those would probably be about perfect. I will probably put the 20hp Merc on my '79 'Gruman 4.4' 14'...

Re:Mercury 20hp Serial number 7 years 11 months ago #122211

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
That factory transom looks really well braced...nice. Have fun with your project. Both seem like nice running combinations.

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8864 guests and one member online