Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Finally trmmed out!

Finally trmmed out! 13 years 8 months ago #12180

Did you guys see this on the main forum? Check it out!

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/main-forum/trimmed-out-finally

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Finally trmmed out! 13 years 8 months ago #12308

Re:Still dialing my '63 Merc 1000 in... any ideas? 1 Week, 2 Days ago

Can't run the J-Rude hose ends Frank!!! Ask me how I know........go ahead! You need the 3/8" line!!

Remember my post Frank?? Ha ha!!!!

Now, get the right prop on that thing!!!!!!

Re:Finally trmmed out! 13 years 8 months ago #12346

The 17P did fine today with Smart Tabs Jim. Not only planing but performing well, and planing at less that WOT. Does low 40's at WOT, but has great acceleration. It's a kick!

Frank

Re:Finally trmmed out! 13 years 8 months ago #12347

Now that sounds alot closer to 5K RPM!! :silly:

Re:Finally trmmed out! 13 years 8 months ago #12348

Frank,

Looks good, the calculator shows a 17 pitch prop turning 5900RPM @43MPH

Your boat looks like its plowing a bit thru the water. That boat should leave at least half of the wet suface out of the water at WOT.

With your motor trimmed in like that your controlling porpoise, but to get speed you have to trim it out a bit more thus relieving more hull from the water.

That boat should pull a 21 pitch prop fairly easy once set up correct and push the upper 40's if not in the low 50's.

watch this power cat's slight nose high attitude.

Re:Finally trmmed out! 13 years 8 months ago #12350

I was turning 5600 at about 42 in that video, if the tach is correct.

21P will only get me to 4800 rpm, and does not plane at all below WOT. This is from last Tuesday night:

I can get the nose up like Bernie's in that video of his Power Cat Milkdud posted, just not today when my son was taking the video. I know the 17P runs best. 21P is just gonna lug the motor. I'm gonna try a 19P sometime, but for now, will stay with the 17P and keep trying to dial it in. I'll get some better videos when we get back from vacation in a week.

Bernie's boat is a 15T and he's had a lot of experience with it. This boat of mine is still a kick, accelerates like mad, motor runs great, and I can plane now at tubing speeds. I'll keep experimenting, but I'm a happy fellow.

Frank

Re:Finally trmmed out! 13 years 8 months ago #12351

Yep, Ive been watching your progess for awhile Frank. Its a beautiful boat and motor :)

I remember you having porpoising problems, and it looks like the solution was tucking the motor way in. :unsure:

Im just offering advice, cause Ive been there done alot of this with a somewhat similar boat and motor combo.

Tucking the motor will solve a porpoise problem at a sacrifice to speed. If you know this than Ill stop telling you.

I wish I was there to run with you.

I mean Im running a 90 hp L-6 on a lone star holiday with a 17 pitch and nearly hitting 40mph And that thing is a big aluminum bath tub.

Conrad

Re:Finally trmmed out! 13 years 8 months ago #12352

Hey Milkdud! Don't get me wrong, I love the advice. I've had a number of boats, big and small over the years, but they all worked "right" from day 1. This has been a bit more of a challenge.

I shouldn't have posted that video Gregg took of me today, cause I knew the nose wasn't up enough, or like it could have been. It ran great today, very little porpoising, and a lot of fun. I wish you were here to run with me too!

I really don't like trying to dial this boat in on a tidal river, but we don't have any lakes closer than at least an hour's drive.

I'll get this boat dialed in, and have fun trying!

Frank

Re:Finally trmmed out! 13 years 8 months ago #12353

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
You're doing great, Frank. Patience and lots of testing are paying off. Love the action videos. Thinking your best prop will be a 19 pitch "bass boat" profile with lots of rake to keep the bow up without excessive trim. We'll see...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7935 guests and 2 members online