• gene gene
  • gene gene's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
S# 32510219 9.8hp
Where should I see water?
Does it have a pee hole or water out with exhaust? Gene

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:How can I tell if water pump is working Merc 110 8 years 1 week ago #121370

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
According to MAXRULES.com it looks like that number would make it a 1971, so I believe that is a red striped motor. We had the 7.5hp (which had same physical size as the 9.8/110)and it had a water exit hole near the back, but side of the lower cowling so you could see it when you operated it (not out the exhaust). If the exit tube is not there, then there should at least be a whole in the casting that the tiny tube would have run through (and very stubby). Maybe the tube is not there connecting the inside of the motor to the exit port in the lower cowl?

Dr.Go!

Re:How can I tell if water pump is working Merc 110 8 years 1 week ago #121374

• gene gene
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Dr. I'll look next time I'm at the cabin. Gene

Re:How can I tell if water pump is working Merc 110 8 years 1 week ago #121395

On top of the block there is 'probably' a 90 degree fitting with a hose going down and exiting out the starboard side of the lower pan - near a large straight-slot screw for flushing the beast.
If not - "Dr.Go!" is referencing a blocked passage that requires lifting the powerhead to fix if a blast of compressed air pressure up the tell-tail exit port won't clear.
To trouble-shoot the water pressure, I pull the hose off the 90 degree fitting and put a piece of hose on the fitting to keep the water from hosing down the ignition. Then start the beast and see if water comes out this temporary hose.
If it squirts water out at an idle and at higher idle, then you can focus on clearing the tell-tail exit fitting.
BUT,...If it does not squirt water out at a high speed idle, or more importantly a low idle,...You will need to dig deeper.
The problems can be:
1) bad impeller
2) bad alignment tube (guides the brass water tube into the water pump housing)
3) a bad (melted) nylon washer at the top of the water tube at the base of the block. Actually a fairly common and simple fix, but does require lifting the powerhead & replacement of a gasket and the nylon washer.

If the beast has been a victim of salt water use, you will also need to consider the potential collapse of the brass water tube, or the erosion of the port side baffle plate. Not an easy fix with lots of risks of breaking off cap-screws, etc.
docF

Re:How can I tell if water pump is working Merc 110 8 years 1 week ago #121410

• gene gene
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the reply docF,
I will post back with what we find.
You guys are the best, Gene

Re:How can I tell if water pump is working Merc 110 8 years 1 week ago #121415

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Thanks Doc F. for the "rest of the story"...good stuff. Lets hope it is as simple as once leaving my boat outside for 2 weeks only to find tiny inch worms packed the tiny tube full of what appeared to be crusted mud...got the critters out and the mud, and I got water again. They made a pretty good dam block. I do impellers often, but with the professional guidance of a Doc F. so I don't mess things up since my skills are still limited (to quote Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry - "a good man knows his limitations"...or something close to that.

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7010 guests and no members online