Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Starting Problems

Starting Problems 13 years 9 months ago #11389

I am running a rebuilt 1975 Merc 115hp inline six. Recently, I seem to have intermittent starting problems. Roughly one out of four times, when I turn the key, nothing happens. I am using a new battery and clean connections and it seems like the starter is OK. It may be an intermittent neutral safety switch but I'm not sure. I have always been able to start the engine after a few tries but the fact that nothing happens on occasion wories me. I was wondering if it is possible to start the motor at the engine if I truly get into a jam out on the lake and can't start it using the key switch. Any input would be helpful. Thanks, Matt
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Starting Problems 13 years 9 months ago #11394

you can jump the starter or rope start just turn the key on first.

Re:Starting Problems 13 years 8 months ago #11450

I had a similar problem. One out of four times or so I would turn the key, and nothing. If i tilted the motor and then down again, it would start. (note I had previously eliminated the safety cut off switch as the problem). Turned out to be a slightly corroded connection between the main harness plug and the socket on the side of the motor. The pins on the side of the motor were nice and clean. The sockets in the plug was oxidized. Cleaned them out and never had the problem again. I think that when I tilted the motor it would shift the plug just so that it made the connection. Check it out.

Re:Starting Problems 13 years 8 months ago #11467

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Nice looking Glastron, Matt. Post some more pics of it when you get a chance, okay?

Mark

Re:Starting Problems 13 years 8 months ago #11484

try moving the power cable around when trying to start the motor I had two cables that had broke wires in the plug
Charles

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7332 guests and no members online