Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lookin' for a suggestion. Test day not so good.

Lookin' for a suggestion. Test day not so good. 13 years 8 months ago #10945

Mark 35a on a 1962 Hydro Swift.
Took her to the lake today after changing all fuel lines, points, cleaning out the carbs and rebuilding the fuel pump.
Goes into forward gear like butter, give it the throttle after the "no wake" zone and apparently only my boat entered a "no plane" zone. At full throttle the nose goes up as do the RPMs but it won't reach it's full RPM. It just sounds like its trying but won't go any higer. I tried the primer bulb with no effect. I removed the cover and while the wife was on the throttle messed with the mixture screws. All had no effect. Could this be and ignition prob?
Timing. I will take any and all suggestions. At my witts end.
Thanks for any input.
Chet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Lookin' for a suggestion. Test day not so good. 13 years 8 months ago #10947

Are the butterflies opening up completely?
Is the bronze throttle link in the belly pan clearing the notch in the bronze shift link?
What pitch prop are you using?
Thom

Re: Lookin' for a suggestion. Test day not so good. 13 years 8 months ago #10967

Butterflies open all of the way and linkage clears. The prop is the same one that's been on since the 60's. "power prop" is what they called it when they gave us the boat (aunt and uncle) They claim this boat would pull two skiers out of the water in its day.

The magneto rotates a little when I give it throttle, however if I push it, it will rotate more. Is that right?
Thanks

Re: Lookin' for a suggestion. Test day not so good. 13 years 8 months ago #11048

The magneto should rotate until the body comes up against the stop which is a phillips head 1/4x28 machine screw with a nut used to 'jam' (secure) the adjustment. (this stop is the lower starboard stop on the front plate of the magneto.)
Once the magneto stops against this stop - a part of the magneto will continue to rotate and open the butterflies completely - until the rotating part comes against the next stop (throttle stop) which is the upper starboard stop on the front plate of the magneto.
If this doesn't cure things - consider checking spark on all (4) and consider testing both carburetors to see if they are both functioning properly.
Thom

Re: Lookin' for a suggestion. Test day not so good. 13 years 8 months ago #11052

Thanks, I'll check that. It looked like the butterflies were open all of the way, but the magneto was not up against the stop. Is there something that could get gummed up in there to keep it from moving all of the way?
Thanks again.
Chet

Re: Lookin' for a suggestion. Test day not so good. 13 years 8 months ago #11061

Yes - but make sure the magneto is not rotating to the Timing Stop before proceeding.
Then remove the horizontal link from the magneto to the port side vertical throttle link and manually rotate the magneto & see if it then goes all the way to the stop.
T

Re: Lookin' for a suggestion. Test day not so good. 13 years 8 months ago #11076

Checked the travel of the magneto. It was fine.
However, I took the magneto out to double check the point gap. It was at .005 (not good) Would this cause the failure to rpm problem I was having? I believe a close point gap / too much dwell should make it not advance the timing. Any one know for sure before I spend another $50.00 going to the lake?
Thanks for all of your help.
Chet

Re:Lookin' for a suggestion. Test day not so good. 13 years 8 months ago #11081

yes set your points to .010

Re:Lookin' for a suggestion. Test day not so good. 13 years 8 months ago #11124

So was I correct in figuring the closed point gap was keeping my engine from seeing full timing advance?

Re:Lookin' for a suggestion. Test day not so good. 13 years 8 months ago #11126

I would certainly think the incorrect point gap is part or all of the problem but without knowing the condition of the rest of the your motor, & carb/mag linkage , you wont know if there are additional issues till you adjust the points to the correct gap & test

Re:Lookin' for a suggestion. Test day not so good. 13 years 8 months ago #11132

Thanks for all of your input. I have cleaned out the carbs(without messing with the linkage) Rebuilt the fuel pump, changed all of the fuel lines, and new fuel. I have not messed with any linkage adjustments since the last time it ran fine. In going backwards as to what I've done since it started running poorly, the points were the first things I changed. I'll give it a shot on Thursday afternoon.
Thanks again.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)