• Page:

TOPIC: 1960s fiberglass boat

1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 8 months ago #99411

• dmilot
  • dmilot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, I currently own a 14 ft fiberglass boat. It needs a new transom. I was wondering if it was a bad idea to take 1 foot off the back end and make the boats length smaller than 14 and then build a new transom. Thoughts on this? Bad idea? I'm about to just start cutting away and wing it. After all it is a project!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 8 months ago #99417

Exactly what 1960's glass boat, and why cut it down to 13ft?

I wouldn't remove the transom plywood by taking the exterior fiberglass skin off, I'd remove the inner transom skin. Others might.

IMO, the only thing worse then an exterior removal method for replacing the transom would be to remove it entirely and move it...........

But again, what boat and why?

Re: 1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 8 months ago #99421

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Is it a bad idea?? YUP!

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 8 months ago #99422

Don't just start cutting without a plan!! As stated earlier if possible post pics and what do you have ?

Travis

www.liquidassetsonline.org , 63\'PowerCat14-C w/twin64\'650\'s,14\'Glen-L Zip w/Mark58E,58\'TeeNee,
Mark55AE,Mark55E,PairMark58E\\\'s,Mark58AE,Mark78AEL, 6-7RBM\'s.Keep EM\' Alive! Always looking to add to collection.

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 8 months ago #99439

• dmilot
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Been on this forum before and no one could tell me what it was. One reason I want it smaller is because I don't have a title for it so I was exploring my options. And no worries I obviously had a plan the cutting comment was a joke kinda. This is what she looked like. And what it looks like now.

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 8 months ago #99440

• dmilot
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 8 months ago #99441

No pix showed up....... Under a certain length your state doesn't require boat titles?

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 7 months ago #99448

• dmilot
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'll send the pics again when I get into work. Yes ri doesn't require title under 14ft.
Attachments:

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 7 months ago #99450

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I would double check on the title situation. Maybe the state nixes a title under 14'(Wisconsin is 16') but it still might need a registration number and annual sticker.
When you cut off the entire transom you are compromising the integrity of the boat itself. It can be done and has been done really cool, and here's the "but". It's not something to experiment with. Glass, structure, bracing, maybe some extra framing has to be properly done keeping in mind the weight of a motor that will be hanging on it. There are guys on the forum who have done it and we will help you through if you want to go ahead with it.
One stipulation. YOU HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO POST PICTURES...AND LOTS OF 'EM. Us older folks need visuals.
Attachments:

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 7 months ago #99454

• dmilot
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes i KNOW and i fully apologize i failed at loading pictures..but i got it now...So let me lay out the entire situation. I obtained my boat for free, with no trailer. I was told the deck and transom were "re-done", however i got it home and realized the deck was bubbling and had cracks in the fiberglass...so i removed the fiberglass decking, and the larger portion of the plywood...which was rotten. I am now looking at rotten stringers. So I decided i was going to turn this into a full blow project and have fun with it. I like to say i am some what eccentric, and decided to take this 1960's something or other and create what people are calling jet boats. So i obtained a 1996 Tigershark 900 and plan to implement it into the hull of my boat. Like in the youtube video here :

So i started taking the two halves apart, come to find out i cant take it off like any normal runabout ie. i would remove the trim pop the staples and raise it up. The previous owner had fiber glassed the two halves together near the transom, forcing me to cut it the two halves from each other. I think the pic will explain more clear.

SO here we are i have my plan however now i dont have title for when i am complete with my project. I checked RI laws and it states 14' and above need a title, and all boats/pwc. need registration...Now to be honest i really dont want to cut the back end off. i would like this to go as smooth as possible. However i am concerned with how the previous owner did the transom as i can see the wood is clearly rot out.

So thats my goal, call me crazy i know :)

Attachments:

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 7 months ago #99455

• dmilot
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Attachments:

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 7 months ago #99456

• dmilot
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
This site likes to make it difficult to post pics.
Attachments:

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 7 months ago #99458

• dmilot
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
last one
Attachments:

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 7 months ago #99461

Cool boat I wouldn't change the length, just replace the transom.

Bob

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 7 months ago #99462

• dmilot
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Bob for your input! based on the above responses i believe that is what i am going to do.

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 7 months ago #99463

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
AWWWW RIIIIIIGHT! It's not crazy at all. Now that it's cleared up I think it's a excellent project. Actually thought of doing one myself but never got a round2it. Go for it and keep us posted. Lots of fiberglass masters here that will help you with what materials to use etc.
I have 'modified' a few boats to the point where no one would recognize what they originally were so I know where you're coming from.
As far as registration is concerned I would put the paperwork in as a "home built". There should be some ID numbers on the hull somewhere, if not make some up and somehow stamp them into the transom when you are finished and use them for the application. After all the state just wants your money and a way to trace and keep track of ownership, also helps if it's ever stolen.
To post multiple pictures on one post first "submit" the post and the click "edit" to add another picture. You have to do this for every pic you want to add. It's a PIA but it works.
Cal

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 7 months ago #99464

• dmilot
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you very much for this! i will strongly take your advice and start removing the remaining deck. I will use your guide above to attempt to remove the old transom for it to be replaced.

I have looked up and read a lot on doing such projects so any input would be greatly appreciated. For example what kind of epoxies should i be using ect. Obviously my first goal will be to complete the transom and stringers before any input of the ski.

Again, thanks a lot...you may have saved this boats life.

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 7 months ago #99480

I wouldn't get too far down the stringer and transom replacement before figuring out how you'll graft the ski hull and outdrive into the existing boat and it's structure.

Obviously the boat's keel stringer will be partially removed to accommodate the ski motor/outdrive assembly, but you may be over into the area where the existing outbound stringers are. Which will depend on how much of the ski's hull you keep. That might be dictated by it's and your boat's hull contours and how to get them to graft together.

Your motor and outdrive assembly will be attached directly to the hull, and although I wouldn't risk undersizing the transom or it's thickness, w/ the bulk of the thrust and torque will be directed thru to the hull like an I/O rather then an OB, you might save some weight and work by not replacing the existing w/ exactly the same transom setup.

Many I/O have a horse collar transom plywood just at the keyhole, but may also have a thicker layup of fiberglass on the transom.

I'd be sure to fully support the hull w/ a cradle to prevent it sagging or distorting while you're hacking out the bulk of it's structure and working inside the hull on replacing the transom & stringers.

About the title & registration, is the boat actually 14ft long?

Neither of my 15ft Starcraft aluminum boats are actually 15ft long. One is 14' 6'" the other is 14' 9". I guess it depended on the clerk at the DMV entering the data, because I got 1 title listing the boat as a 14' and the other as a 14' 9" boat. Might ^^^ help...........

Good luck, BTW the boat looks like a Crosby. A late 50's Crosby that I considered:

I use photobucket to post pix. I can copy & paste 5 or 6 pix all at once and post them all at once, rather then load 1, edit, load another..

Each PB pix has an IMG code, it looks like this:
|IMG]http//i1246.photobucket.com/albums/50sCrosby.jpg[/IMG|
and the pix show up IN my posts like the Crosby above

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 7 months ago #99481

Don't worry about the title and registration.
Do the Wisconsin route.
I did. It was a piece of cake and it is good for 3 years.
Hell, I may even leave mine registered in WI until someone says something.

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 7 months ago #99483

• dmilot
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you. Very good information right here!

Re:1960s fiberglass boat 9 years 7 months ago #99517

Hi,
I believe that I previously replied and noted that you appear to have a Sport-craft, likely a Ski-Liner model. We sold quite a number of these in the middle 1960's. I do not have pictures at hand presently, but you might click-on a picture on this page of our website: www.fergusonpoolemarine.com/canvascoversupolstery.html (near the bottom of the page) for two storage curtains we still have, where a factory picture is shown. If you look closely, you can see the fake louvers in front of the windshield, and the center racing stripe, both as your boat appears to have. Unfortunately, I am pretty skeptical that you will be pleased with the performance if you adapt the jet to the Sport-craft hull, or graft the personal watercraft hull either. Well performing jets need a hull tailored for them. Understand that I am as bigger fan of jets as anyone, but I believe the work to get where I would want to end-up at, is far too great at best. Still you might think about staying as an outboard, and you might well enjoy the Ski-Liner. A conversion to a long shaft transom would open-up finding a suitable outboard, or you can fit a vintage short shaft outboard.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)