• Page:

TOPIC: 1972 Sea Ray Mercruiser 165

1972 Sea Ray Mercruiser 165 9 years 7 months ago #99300

• Ike
  • Ike's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
The saga continues. The Sea Ray has been in the water all summer. I had an issue with water in the oil about three weeks ago. It was a leaking gasket between the manifold and the riser. Got that fixed. Overall it runs well. I go fishing every few days but don't run it hard. I had it out several times just to open it up and see how it is doing. It still has the stumble problem. At about 1000 rpm it stumbles and stalls. I can work the throttle and get it past that. I have talked to a lot of people and it seems to be the consensus that it's the acceleration pump.

Anyone here familiar with the Rochester 2GC and 2GV carbs. Just to recap. The boat is a 1972 Sea Ray 190 SRV (18 ft) I/O. It has a Mercruiser 165 (GM250) with a Rochester carb. It was rebuilt in 2013. However, although it runs fine at most speeds, at about 1000 rpm it stumbles and dies, unless I play with the throttle. Above 1000 rpm it runs great and goes up to WOT at about 4000 rpm (30-35 mph by the tach and speedo. Never checked it on GPS) Is there an easy way to adjust this? The Mercruiser manual is about as clear as mud. Or. should I just get a new carb? If so what model?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:1972 Sea Ray Mercruiser 165 9 years 7 months ago #99308

Yep, your accelerator pump is not squirting enough. You may be able to adjust the stroke of the pump a bit. Otherwise, replace it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6685 guests and one member online